Corvair of the Month June 2011

Calendar page and Gift Certificate to the winner...and of course, BRAGGING RIGHTS!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Online People's Choice Corvair Show - Corvair of the Month.

To enter your vehicle, Reply to the current Corvair of the Month thread, include at least one high quality photo and some info on your entry (year, model, specs, etc). Each show will be limited to the first ten vehicles posted for that month. The voting will begin as soon as ten vehicles are entered or on the 1st of the month, whichever comes first. Please only post vehicles you own and only one per month. Vehicles must be Corvair or Corvair powered. If you win, please do not post the same vehicle in another month during that calendar year. If you won in a previous year you may enter again. The shows will run each month from January through September. In October we will run the "Corvair of the Year" contests. One for all vehicles 1960-1964 and a second for all 1965-1969 vehicles. In November we will have available a Calendar of all of the winners. Please note that by posting pictures in this forum you give corvairforum.com and it's owners the right to use your picture(s) in the calender and website. In order to Vote for your favorite Corvair you will have to have posted at least three times in any forum. In the event of a tie, the vehicle entered first will be the winner.

Vote for Corvair of the Month June 2011

Poll ended at Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:52 am

joepad
35%
jtvairs
26%
klj100248
13%
4carbcorvair
3%
Gregory_Miller
23%

Total votes: 31

Scott H
Site Admin

Corvair of the Month June 2011

Post by Scott H »

The First Ten Vehicles posted are in the Show for this month.

The Sponsor is
Parts and service, in the Heartland of the USA
http://www.rafeecorvair.com
tel: 918-753-2486, available 7 days a week, no charge for advice

The winner this month will get a $10.00 Gift Certificate from Rafee Corvair.

Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
joepad
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Corvair of the Month June 2011

Post by joepad »

I learned how to drive and took my drivers test with a Corvair. My dad owned a used car business in the 60's and I had my choice of cars, so I wanted an easy car to drive that was small and easy to parallel park. Growing up, I owned a Pontiac Tempest, Chevy Malibu and Chevy Caprice. Always loved Corvairs, but didn't own one until I bought the Monza about 4 years ago. For a N.J. car, amazing to find no rust when media blasted.Took 1 1/2 years to restore. Repainted correct Bolero red paint. All trim replaced with NOS when I could find it. Otherwise repro parts. Front grill bar is NOS, as well as door sill plates, radio bezel, parking lights, and rear grill inserts (correct for Corsa, not Monza). Had the headlight bezels chromed. Rechromed both bumpers, shifter bezel, heater control trim, quarter window trim, rearview mirror mount, upper vent window castings, engine lid arm was also chromed. Most of the 110 engine parts were either chromed or rechromed, including valve covers, alternator,engine shroud, firewall, crossover tube and air cleaner. New carbs as well. All original interior, except for new carpet from Clark's Corvair. Removed exhaust system and installed Clark's ultimate exhaust. Replaced original steering wheel with the correct wood style from Grant steering wheels. Added front disc brakes and 14" American Racing Torque Thrust chrome wheels. I hand painted the Rat Fink face on the chrome oil filter cover. Only had one owner and 50,000 original miles. All manuals and protecto plate were with the car. Drives great, brings back great memories for me, and always turns heads.
006 (5).JPG
015 - Copy (2).JPG
001 (5).JPG
005 (2).JPG
006 (2).JPG
Attachments
006 (8).JPG
jtvairs

Post by jtvairs »

1965 Corsa purchased in Denver in 2008. The original 140 4 speed, we've spent three years and TWO trips to the body shop to complete this car. Members of ICE, Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts, we attend club events and tours, show and shine events in the Des Moines area, or just out cruising the countryside. John Miller has owned and worked on Corvairs since the 70s. I had a Mustang in the 60's when John & I attended High School together. He is proud that I have completed my transformation from Mustang Fan to Corvair Nut! And, we are happy to be reunited after 35 years.
The paint color is a modern interpretation of Artesian Turquoise. The initial color lacked pzazz, so a little Phthalo blue was added to the mix. Everyone involved was pleased with the outcome.
On the way home from the 2010 convention in Cedar Rapids, the car was badly damaged by a DOT driver who pelted us with asphalt and gravel chunks when he didn't disengage his mower blades when entering onto the shoulder from the ditch. The Corsa had just won 2nd place in it's class at the convention and spent 9 months in the body shop prior to the accident.
We recently completed the interior with new seat covers and carpet, installed a stereo and nice speakers. John removed the dash and steering wheel/column to retouch and highlight them with new paint. The car looks great with the Cragar 17" wheels. We regularly have admirers of the car who like it, but don't know what it is. Thanks for looking. Check our website at jtvairs.com for more photos of this and other Corvairs in the collection!
Attachments
At Salisbury house in Des Moines
At Salisbury house in Des Moines
corsa b.jpg
The interior makeover is complete
The interior makeover is complete
klj100248

Post by klj100248 »

This is Miss Scarlett a 1962 Monza Wagon. She has approx 42K original miles. She has non factory paint from the original ermin white. She has the after market sway bar in the rear. We will be entering the concourse in Denver next month. She has a Powerglide and gets about 22 mpg in mixed driving. 24 on the road. She is my wife's car. I am sure most of you know that when the wife gets a Corvair, it's number one for maintenance. I'm just glad to have her celebrate the hobby with me. We are attending a tech session to install the right side rr mirror and fix the back up lights. The GPS is named Vivien. Frankly I don't give a ...
Attachments
102 HP
102 HP
headed east from Ca
headed east from Ca
those are the miles when she joined our family
those are the miles when she joined our family
Where were you in 62?
Where were you in 62?
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

64 Spyder. :tongue:

1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Submitted for your review:
My 1965 Corsa clone. Back on the road after a 10 year absence, as of March. Still wrangling with carb issues, may need to replace one or both primaries. Recently added Seth Emerson's silicone wires.
Hiding under the distributor cap is a nice Ignitor 1, a nice ropy 280 cam and a trick big single exhaust system give her a nice sound.
Fresh from getting road-worthy again
trick tuned exhaust fed into a "big single" with a turbo-like cut out for the tail pipe. Soon will be adding a port for a wideband O2 sensor as part of getting her ready for EDIS/TBI
BONUS!! Featured in this month's CORSA Communique, the "tale of 2 Corvairs"
Corvair.crazy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Corvair.crazy »

I read that Greg,

Nice article I read it all the way through which is something for me I usually look at the pictures. ::-):
Jon
CORSA member
1962 Spyder convert
1961 Rampside
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

It was your first Communique too, right? :tu:
Corvair.crazy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Corvair.crazy »

Yeap!
Jon
CORSA member
1962 Spyder convert
1961 Rampside
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Timing IS everything.
2 Clark's premium rebuilt carbs (primaries) are ordered, I hope they ship soon. Vote for me. :)
mart

Post by mart »

jtvairs wrote:1965 Corsa purchased in Denver in 2008. The original 140 4 speed, we've spent three years and TWO trips to the body shop to complete this car. Members of ICE, Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts, we attend club events and tours, show and shine events in the Des Moines area, or just out cruising the countryside. John Miller has owned and worked on Corvairs since the 70s. I had a Mustang in the 60's when John & I attended High School together. He is proud that I have completed my transformation from Mustang Fan to Corvair Nut! And, we are happy to be reunited after 35 years.
The paint color is a modern interpretation of Artesian Turquoise. The initial color lacked pzazz, so a little Phthalo blue was added to the mix. Everyone involved was pleased with the outcome.
On the way home from the 2010 convention in Cedar Rapids, the car was badly damaged by a DOT driver who pelted us with asphalt and gravel chunks when he didn't disengage his mower blades when entering onto the shoulder from the ditch. The Corsa had just won 2nd place in it's class at the convention and spent 9 months in the body shop prior to the accident.
We recently completed the interior with new seat covers and carpet, installed a stereo and nice speakers. John removed the dash and steering wheel/column to retouch and highlight them with new paint. The car looks great with the Cragar 17" wheels. We regularly have admirers of the car who like it, but don't know what it is. Thanks for looking. Check our website at jtvairs.com for more photos of this and other Corvairs in the collection!
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: WOW, I hope mine turns out like this, thanks for the tip on the colour, I was thinking of overlaying with some type of pearl to snazz up the turquoise
Corvair.crazy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Corvair.crazy »

klj100248 wrote:She is my wife's car. I am sure most of you know that when the wife gets a Corvair, it's number one for maintenance. I'm just glad to have her celebrate the hobby with me. We are attending a tech session to install the right side rr mirror and fix the back up lights. The GPS is named Vivien. Frankly I don't give a ...
You are singing my song that is sooooo true.
Jon
CORSA member
1962 Spyder convert
1961 Rampside
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Wha.... nobody has voted for 4Carb's Spyder? Well, it IS an EM. :rolling:
64vert
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 64vert »

:td:
:EMs Rule:
omaha, ne
corvair midwest
CORSA
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Oh, I got a new decal for my summer/winter plate, and sanded and re-painted the plate and then attached the new sticker. I also got the oil cooler side shrouds, and they are installed. Car is going to a show and shine tomorrow morning. Pics to follow. Oh, I got and installed the dust boot for the VA too. I'm back to running points though, the Pertronix experiment seems to have failed miserably. I'll need to figure out why at some point.
http://function4junction.com/
Show I'll be in tomorrow.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Great time, although WET at car show Saturday... W00t, tied for first... keep voting!

Return to “Corvair of the Month Calendar Page (Sponsored by Clark's Corvair Parts)”