Corvair of the Month April 2011

Calendar page and Gift Certificate to the winner...and of course, BRAGGING RIGHTS!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Online People's Choice Corvair Show - Corvair of the Month.

To enter your vehicle, Reply to the current Corvair of the Month thread, include at least one high quality photo and some info on your entry (year, model, specs, etc). Each show will be limited to the first ten vehicles posted for that month. The voting will begin as soon as ten vehicles are entered or on the 1st of the month, whichever comes first. Please only post vehicles you own and only one per month. Vehicles must be Corvair or Corvair powered. If you win, please do not post the same vehicle in another month during that calendar year. If you won in a previous year you may enter again. The shows will run each month from January through September. In October we will run the "Corvair of the Year" contests. One for all vehicles 1960-1964 and a second for all 1965-1969 vehicles. In November we will have available a Calendar of all of the winners. Please note that by posting pictures in this forum you give corvairforum.com and it's owners the right to use your picture(s) in the calender and website. In order to Vote for your favorite Corvair you will have to have posted at least three times in any forum. In the event of a tie, the vehicle entered first will be the winner.

Vote for April 2011 COTM

Poll ended at Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:02 pm

joepad 1967 Monza coupe
28%
Gregory_Miller 65 Corsa clone
19%
russmcd 1965 Corsa Convertible
33%
indianawagongirl 61 Lakewood Station Wagon
19%

Total votes: 36

Scott H
Site Admin

Corvair of the Month April 2011

Post by Scott H »

The First Ten Vehicles posted are in the Show for this month.

The Sponsor is
Parts and service, in the Heartland of the USA
http://www.rafeecorvair.com
tel: 918-753-2486, available 7 days a week, no charge for advice

The winner this month will get a $10.00 Gift Certificate from Rafee Corvair.

Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Corvair of the Month April 2011

Post by Scott H »

Entry for joepad

Bought my 1967 Monza coupe about 3 1/2 years ago. For a N.J. car, amazing to find no rust when media blasted.Took 1 1/2 years to restore. Repainted correct Bolero red paint. All trim replaced with NOS when I could find it. Otherwise repro parts. Front grill bar is NOS, as well as door sill plates, radio bezel, parking lights, and rear grill inserts (correct for Corsa, not Monza). Had the headlight bezels chromed. Rechromed both bumpers, shifter bezel, heater control trim, quarter window trim, rearview mirror mount, upper vent window castings, engine lid arm was also chromed. Most of the 110 engine parts were either chromed or rechromed, including valve covers, alternator,engine shroud, firewall, crossover tube and air cleaner. New carbs as well. All original interior, except for new carpet from Clark's Corvair. Removed exhaust system and installed Clark's ultimate exhaust. Replaced original steering wheel with the correct wood style from Grant steering wheels. Added front disc brakes and 14" American Racing Torque Thrust chrome wheels. I hand painted the Rat Fink face on the chrome oil filter cover. Only had one owner and 50,000 original miles. All manuals and protecto plate were with the car. Drives great and always turns heads.
Attachments
006 (5).JPG
003 (2).JPG
006 (8).JPG
039.JPG
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Here's my 65 Corsa clone, with a built 140 engine with 280 cam, tricked-out "big single" exhaust, and a bit of shine to the paint now. She's been in dry storage for most of the last 10 years, and is loving being back on the road by the way she purrs now. Fresh 195/60R14 tires and lowered suspension give her a nice "stick-to-the-road-ishness" (I like to make up big words) that even a recent windstorm I got caught in didn't faze her. A bit of shaking out revealed a bad voltage regulator, and the initial work to get her road-worthy included all new master and wheel cylinders, machined (just a touch) front drums and front shoes, and dropping the tank to clean out all the junk in it, and blowing air through all the fuel lines released a cloud of red dust into my garage. A tweak to the secondary carbs to clean out bad (dirty) accel pump squirt holes and a float adjustment, and I was surprised how effortless it was to get to 60MPH with no hiccups or misses. She still needs a bit of rust repair along roof edges and a fresh coat of paint, but I'll proudly show her at any show-n-shine as she sits because everything else is top-notch!
As I picked her up from the PO.
All powder coated engine compartment...the electrolyte from the battery overcharging didn't even touch the finish.
Grant steering wheel, quick steering arms and 1 coil cut from all springs give this Corsa clone a down-low stance and makes me nervous when I see a speed bump.
Nice interior, headliner perfect, custom seat vinyl and fabric complement the exterior color, and no "sweaty back syndrome" in the summer. Ain't that cool?
I did some polishing and installed that brand new 140 emblem that was in the large stash of parts.
1 rusty tank, 1 chain to rattle around in it to knock out the rusty cr*p in the tank.
I need one more front pic showing the nice custom spoiler Bob made for it. I'll add that later.
This is the best shot I have of the front spoiler installed.
Here she is at her first car show on April 2nd. Those high schoolers told me they had never seen anything like it before. I didn't win any awards, but the experience was well worth the $10 entry fee.
Next up for my baby is a visit from Marty Scarr tonight to tweak the carburetors, do a compression check, and set the timing. He's also bringing me a good used main fuel inlet line to eliminate the plastic fuel filter and rubber hoses in my engine compartment.
Vote for me!!

Vote for the lates, Earlies shouldn't win 2 months in a row!!!
Last edited by Gregory_Miller on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
russmcd
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by russmcd »

Here is my 1965 Corsa Convertible. I've owned it for almost 4 years now. I've added all the badges, chrome and wheels since I've had it (plus a few other misc parts here and there). It's my pride and joy and my Daily Driver.

Thanks for looking and VOTE VOTE VOTE :woo:

ImageImage
Last edited by russmcd on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ McDuffie
Albuquerque, NM
1966 Monza
1965 Corsa (sold)
1972 Chevy C10 S/B (sold)
1955 Chevy Del Ray (sold)
indianawagongirl

Post by indianawagongirl »

This is my 61 Lakewood Station Wagon, I fell in love with the Lakewoods after touring the vairs on display at the Corvette Museum a few years ago and seeing one up close and realize how really cool and unique they really are.. Love it
untitiled 2.JPG
untitled1.JPG
untitled 3.JPG
March 2011 Lakewood.jpg
March 2011 Lakewood.jpg (10.9 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

That's one of the nicest wagons I've seen. You've gotten my vote before, but now that I have an entry of my own, well... :assault:
Trip

Post by Trip »

Greg I am very jealous of that purchase you made. The more I look the more jealous I get.

Love the steering wheel in Joepad's car, looks like the one from my 68' vette.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Grymm wrote:Greg I am very jealous of that purchase you made. The more I look the more jealous I get.
You aren't the only one! :evil: I tried to keep it a secret at first to keep some "vulture" from swooping in and getting it instead of me. Luckily no one did. I'm getting some window channel for the doors cause they rattle at speed, then wing window rubber and weatherstrip along the roof. Need to control the noise a bit, I'm spoiled by moden more silent cars. My mom forgot how loud our 68 with the glass packs was. I took her for a ride.. "It's really loud" she says. GG
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

That is a really beautiful car! Your patients paid off. :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

OK. Not enough entries, I may actually have a chance this time! :neener:
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

there's room for 6 more. free corvair money! :tu: and your car also gets in the Calendar for 2012!
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
russmcd
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by russmcd »

Greg -
"OK. Not enough entries, I may actually have a chance this time! :neener:"

YOU want a chance?!?!? I want a chance buddy!!!!

Let's block the doors!!! LOL

Good Luck Man
Russ McDuffie
Albuquerque, NM
1966 Monza
1965 Corsa (sold)
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Yours deserves it more than mine... right now. Once I get 'er painted though... I'll own. :P
russmcd
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by russmcd »

Dude, two great looking LM's AND we have matching shifter knobs, WE HAVE TO TAKE IT!!!!! I'll split the winnings with you!! LMAO
Russ McDuffie
Albuquerque, NM
1966 Monza
1965 Corsa (sold)
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

It's the shift knob that completed the job for me.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Are we there yet? ::-): Or are we getting an extension like those who file their taxes at the last minute? :tongue:

Return to “Corvair of the Month Calendar Page (Sponsored by Clark's Corvair Parts)”