first time

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
dynoguy

first time

Post by dynoguy »

hey guys, and maybe gals... I am new to the corvair world... I just bought a 63 corvan. the body has very little rust, the engine is in the back... no not the regular way.. it is sitting in the cargo area.. it is pretty much all together.. the carbs are off, and starter... the last owner pulled the motor to replace the trans, and never put it back together again... it has sat in storage since 1988.. the engine turns with a wrench on the crank pulley, so I know its not frozen.. I have only checked the block numbers, by the oil spout, but it reads to be the 80 hp block, so I am pretty sure it is the original engine. the last owner lost the title but has already applied for a new one, so I should have it in a couple of weeks... my question is, knowing that the delivery van is probably the least desirable of all the corvairs, would I be better off selling the motor to some one who really needs a motor??? or should I put it all back together and sell as a package?? The body is probably good enough to restore, the biggest rust patch of the 3 I found is only the size of a quarter. the floor pans look good. the bumpers are there, the glass, of course only one seat... I bought this at an auction, simply because no one else was bidding on it... if it were a car I would be more inclined to keep it, but I have no need or desire for a van.. any one got any ideas for me to consider??
I am not above parting it out to someone who really needs the various parts.... John
flat6_musik

Re: first time

Post by flat6_musik »

Hi John....and welcome. Where are you located?......and maybe toss up some pics if you can. :clap:
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Without pictures it is hard to tell really what you have value wise, however, the a Corvan is not likely to bring alot of money unrestored (or restored for that matter). I would bet that you could sell the whole thing as is for about the same money as if you put it back together. If it were put back together and runnign and drivable it would certainly bring more, but, sitting since 1988 it would need at least nearly complete brake hydralics as well as carbs rebuilt, fuel system flushed etc. I would bet that the cost in $$ and time to get it in such a state would not equal the increase in value.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
dynoguy

Post by dynoguy »

Hey again... I am in Joplin, Missouri. I have been in the motorcycle business for 15 years, running a mobile dyno around to the Harley events. I have always been a gear head.. I have owned and enjoyed fast cars, fast boats, fast bikes, and an occasional fast woman. Of all my toys, the last has been the most expensive... my last two cars were a 454 elcamino and a 70 olds cutlass w-30.. my Harley was a 165 hp turbo bike and my last boat was a 300 lb crosby with a 115 Merc on it...
I have never had a corvair, and really wish this was a car.. but I thought that someone might be able to use the parts on something they have. my motor is virtually oil free on the outside, there is absolutely NO oil in the exhaust ports. I filled it up with oil and primed it with a screw driver by hand untill the oil came out the filter and then turned it over by hand with the plugs out.. turns easy.. both carbs need rebuilt. there were 3 trans bodies in the van, and the transaxel looks to need something.. not sure what.. the body really is very straight for its age and if someone needs various body parts to fix theirs, it would fill the bill. I can be contacted by email at landlord16@live.com or phone.. 417-437-3369
If by chance any of you are Harley guys also.. you might have seen me at a show... THE DYNO GUY... ROLLING THUNDER
oh yeah.. by the way.. I haven't seen anyplace to post photos. I need some tutoring for this site.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Here's how to post pictures. viewtopic.php?f=196&t=618

Here's the rest of the tutorial stuff.
viewforum.php?f=196
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
kingturbo

Post by kingturbo »

Congrats on your purchase, glade to see another FC in Missouri. I am right down the road from you Dynoguy during the week days, Iris road and 71. I had my eye on that van for awhile, it was really straight and rust free for being in the mid west. Here is a picture that the guy sent me a few months ago of the van that was for sale.
Attachments
corvan.jpg
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

If your parting it, I need a few small parts, nothing major. Just post up if and when you decide to.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
atwistedgrip
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by atwistedgrip »

FC's are cool :tu:
Gary
Sun City is now Menifee, CA
CORSA member