Oklahoma City '65 Monza

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
benw

Oklahoma City '65 Monza

Post by benw »

New to the site, have an exciting project recently underway. It is a '65 Monza coupe with the 140 engine and 4-speed. It has 35,200 original miles but unfortunately has been sitting in a garage for about 17 years. Everything looks brand new, but I know I have my work cut out for me to get it running well again.

I am very familiar with EFI tuning via laptop computer on modern cars, with many years of tuning turbocharged engines, but this will (embarrassingly) be my first foray into a classic car.

I have downloaded the Rochester carb manual as well as familiarizing myself with Clark's corvair parts. If anyone has any advice for me that would be great. Right now my first list of things to tackle is:

Master cylinder went bone dry, rebuild
Check operation of brakes
New battery
Put some ATF in cylinders for a couple days to try and not damage rings
Change oil
New gas
new fuel filter

Thanks,
Ben
Jerry Whitt

Re: Oklahoma City '65 Monza

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Welcome to the forum.

A car sitting for 17 years sometimes attracts small creature than build nests in the cooling system. Might be a good idea to pull the fan shroud, and even the shrouds around the
exhaust system. If you look back into some previous forum posts, some fancy nests are shown.

Another idea. Before starting the engine is to get fresh oil all through the engine. After changing the oil, pull the distributor, then use a drill motor to power the oil pump.
Using a battery and test light attached to the oil pressure sender, spin the oil pump for a while and the sender will turn off the light, confirming oil pressure. Run this set up for a little while before actual start up.

Good luck with your new project!
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
Skrain

Re: Oklahoma City '65 Monza

Post by Skrain »

As far as critters moving in, they also like to get into the heating ducts and the defroster ducts as well.
Best of luck! It's always great to hear about another sleeper being awakened! :tu:
1964 Monza Spyder Turbo Convertible.
1949 Ford 8N Tractor
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4X4 Pickup

Return to “Introductions”