1963 Rampside Truck

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.

Should I keep the top the same color as the rest of the vehicle or paint it white?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:57 am

Paint it white and damn the purist hoity toities!
100%
Stay pure and keep it turquoise like the bulk of of the car!
No votes
Why are you changing the color from the original-you shall burn in hell!
No votes

Total votes: 4

macutak

1963 Rampside Truck

Post by macutak »

At the end of a really bad $83,000 investment into 4 wheelers and side by sides, when the music stopped I ended up with this gem and a 1964 Ford Econoline, it's competitor. (And a moving van, a tow truck, two CNG buses and an F-350 with the engine sitting in the truck bed). After a new Clark's gas tank it started right up and ran great with 74,000 miles. Thinking of restoring both and showing them head to head like the old commercial.

I'm ready to paint and am thinking the old chevy turquoise and white with the 2 3/4 white walls and the red and chrome dogdish hub caps from Clark's. Question is I want to paint the top white along with the white stripe and white bumpers. Any thoughts? I know it is not stock.
Attachments
This side is all done and rust cut out
This side is all done and rust cut out
The rust has been cut out on this side everywhere but the rear panel
The rust has been cut out on this side everywhere but the rear panel
This is the color I chose.  Going to the painter this week.
This is the color I chose. Going to the painter this week.
image.jpg (69.79 KiB) Viewed 884 times
flat6_musik

Re: 1963 Rampside Truck

Post by flat6_musik »

That's a cool color combo, really clean and classic. I think you could do a little Photoshop to see how it would look.

BTW, welcome to the forum! Where you from?
macutak

Post by macutak »

Thanks. I have seen them with the white top and I like it. I must admit I want the Corvair to look better than the Ford Econoline when they are done and parked next to each other. I am located near Salt Lake City, Utah. I look forward to showing this off at an event.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: If you haven't seen the articles about the Clark's Corvair Parts Rampside restoration, you might enjoy reading them...

1961 Rampside Ground-up Restoration — PARTS 1 & 2

From Hemmings Classic Car

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=178&t=6780

I love the look of the turquoise and white combo you chose. Looking forward to seeing finished pictures of your Rampside when it is done! :tu:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
macutak

Post by macutak »

Well, Here she is with the new tires and new paint job.
Attachments
photo[5].JPG
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: :coolphotos: :tu: :clap: Now THAT is a good-lookin' Rampside!
I like the white top treatment! :evil: :angry:

:whoa: :eek: A real eye-catcher in the Great Salt Lake area! ::-):

:fc front:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
classicchevyowner7

Post by classicchevyowner7 »

Congrats! That is one GREAT looking rampside! I love that color combination.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
- Allen
hames57

Post by hames57 »

Beautiful.

I'm in Logan, and working on a pair of rampsides. It will be a long time before my truck(s) will look anything near as nice as yours. I love the color combo, and I'd definitely paint the top white on mine.
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Wow.....that's smokin' awesome (guess I shouldn't use that adjective for a corvair....lol) Love those dog-dish hubcaps too!
macutak

Post by macutak »

Well now it is time for the engine. Just finished the carb clean out and found out that the carb pull outs are gone and contributing to some rough running on start up. Very difficult to get it to idle. Have them on order and should have them in by next Friday. Then I start on the bed and the inside. I just got the fuzzes and new rubber in the window on the driver's side and now need to do the passenger and then paint inside.
Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

macutak wrote:Well now it is time for the engine. Just finished the carb clean out and found out that the carb pull outs are gone and contributing to some rough running on start up. Very difficult to get it to idle. Have them on order and should have them in by next Friday. Then I start on the bed and the inside. I just got the fuzzes and new rubber in the window on the driver's side and now need to do the passenger and then paint inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

Vairamp wrote:
macutak wrote:Well now it is time for the engine. Just finished the carb clean out and found out that the carb pull outs are gone and contributing to some rough running on start up. Very difficult to get it to idle. Have them on order and should have them in by next Friday. Then I start on the bed and the inside. I just got the fuzzes and new rubber in the window on the driver's side and now need to do the passenger and then paint inside.

Did you end up putting a 110 Engine in yours? If you did were any mods done to it? Is your resto done?

I’m having the work done at The Ranch. We’re at the drivetrain stage of my ‘62 Rampside. Looking at Goodyear 2 3/4-W/W 205 75R14.

I had them match the paint to the ‘62 paint code for interior and exterior. Just happens to be the same colors as yours but not a white roof.

Interior is getting a full Clark’s + restoration, i.e. door panels, seat and a rug. Might as well have the insides look nice, since that’s where I’ll be spending my time!

Return to “Introductions”