New guy in Texas

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Joe B

New guy in Texas

Post by Joe B »

Hello all!

I'm new to the Corvair world, more familiar with mid-year Corvettes and 70s Buicks, but have long had a soft spot for '65 on 'Vairs. Missed out on one at auction last summer, found another today. I'm here to educate myself on the care and feeding of the breed and hope to close on one soon. Looking forward to tapping in to your knowledge and experience.

Joe B
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: New guy in Texas

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome: :goofywave: :wave: Welcome, Joe, to the Corvair Forum!
Joe B wrote:Going to my girlfriend's for Christmas, passing thru a small town, saw a great looking Corsa on a lot, turned around for a look. 1966 black on black hardtop, silver tail panel, great paint, great interior, NO rust visible anywhere-even under the hood, 4 carbs, factory COLD air, factory am/fm, 4 speed, Crager S/S mags, T/A radials, with a factory Servicator in it. I had never heard of a Servicator, had to Google it. He says he'll take $13k for it. I'm not that familiar with Corvairs, I'm a mid-year Corvette guy, but I've always liked these Corvairs. Is this a reasonable price for this car as described? Sorry, no pictures, but I'll try to get some on the way home and post them later.
From your description, a very clean 1966 Corsa coupe could certainly be worth that price. Corvairs with factory air conditioning are very rare. The factory AM/FM radio is also a rare find (does it, and the air conditioning, work?) If it is a true 1966 Corsa, and not an assembled clone, the VIN should start out with "107376"

Late Car VIN Detail

(1965-1969)

A test drive would be helpful. If it drives well, is truly rust free, appears to be well maintained, etc. it would certainly have me looking at my wallet! If you can get some pictures of the car from various angles, including the trunk, interior, and engine compartment, and post them here on the Corvair Forum, you can get further, more meaningful comments. Your 1966 "find" could have great possibility and the asking price could be very reasonable. Is the car located in a southern climate? Northern states can often mean road salt damage. In any case look carefully around the windshield perimeter, fenders, door frame, under the carpet to check for rust or body rot in the floor pan, etc. If it is rust free, runs well, and everything works I would be very hesitant to pass it up! The custom Cragar wheels and radial tires, and an overall clean condition could indicate that the previous owner took a lot of pride in that car — also a good sign.

As you can see in the above production chart, only 7,330 Corsa coupes were produced in 1966, and that was the final production year. No 1965 Corsas were produced with air conditioning. So a Corsa with A/C (1966 only) would be very rare indeed, and the estimate of the AirVair Group http://www.corvair.org/chapters/airvairs/ is that only 4.61% of all Corvairs sold in 1966 had A/C. That means that the air conditioned Corsa coupe you found may be one of only about 338 produced in 1966! (Maybe fewer than that, since a percentage of those 1966 Corsa coupes produced had the optional turbocharged 180 hp engine, and no turbo Corsas would have been equipped with A/C!) Forty-seven years later, how many do you think might be left!

Sample Corvair Body Tag
1966 Fisher bodytags ACC line. (WRN and LOS) wrote:2 = Second Group
M = RPO M35 Powerglide Automatic
E = RPO C64 Air Conditioning
R = RPO U80 Rear speaker
S = RPO U73 Rear ant.
T = RPO U75 Power Rear antenna
H = Heater delete
The body tag is located in the engine compartment, on the frame rail near the distributor. If the third line from the top starts with "ST 66-10737" it is a true 1966 Corsa coupe. The fifth line down is the accessory (ACC) line. The second accessory group should include the letter "E" (2E), indicating the factory air conditioning option.

Left-click the image to enlarge for better viewing...
1966 Corvair RPO List
1966 Corvair RPO List
The above list was copied from the 1966 Corvair GM Heritage Center Specifications. I have attached a copy of those specs at the bottom of this post.

As you stated, you have no experience with Corvairs. A car buyer also tends to let enthusiasm "blind" them to not spotting faults in the car of interest. But I must say that your description certainly has my interest! I hope the material I have provided helps you to go back and to take a careful look and perhaps a test drive.

OTHER THINGS TO LOOK FOR: Corvair flywheels are riveted assemblies and sometimes the rivets loosen up with age and use. Run the engine at idle in neutral, and listen for any rattling sounds from the clutch area. If you do hear a rattling sound, and if it stops when you depress the clutch pedal slightly (bringing the throwout bearing into contact with the clutch pressure plate can steady the clutch assembly and dampen the sound) the clutch may be worn. Check all the things you would normally check with any used car, like the operation of the electrical items, operation of the brakes and suspension, etc. Check the condition of the radial tires you mentioned. Check carefully for rust or signs of plastic body filler (Bondo) that could be masking body faults. And check the VIN (near the battery) and Body Tag to make sure the numbers match the car. If all seems well and you like the car, you may want to get the best price you can and snap it up! Use any flaws you spot as "bargaining chips" to try to negotiate a better price. If you have any doubts bring them back here to the Corvair Forum, post some pictures, and ask for opinions and comments.

Good luck! I hope it works out and that you can report back here as a happy new owner!

:think: :google: :search: By the way, I have been around Corvairs since 1961 (when I was 8 years old) and I have owned five 1965-1966 Corsas (one turbocharged and four 140 hp four carburetor cars), but I had never heard of a "Servicator" and also had to Google it. A strange device, but according to the last photo it was definitely offered as a dealer option on Corvairs!
David Clamp wrote:I found this description while using Google...surprisingly few hits. There are some eBay items listing the servicator:

A timer, attached to an engine's electric system, that keeps track of the engine's running hours and ejects a printed reminder when it is time for an oil check or other maintenance chore was brought out by Carter & Galantin, Inc. Somewhat smaller than a brick, the "Servicator" is intended primarily for automobiles and trucks, but can be used on any engine.
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,73621,73621

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519882
Attachments
1966-Chevrolet-Corvair - GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1966-Chevrolet-Corvair - GM Heritage Center Specs
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 28 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Joe B

Post by Joe B »

It's been a year and I never did pull the trigger on this car, or thank Brad for his quick, detailed response. Thanks, Brad, your reply was very helpful, but created more questions. Hopefully your comments and everyone else's will be equally insightful!

Almost exactly a year later, the car is still on the same lot, although it's now behind the building with a few others, the offices have been cleaned out and the front lot is empty. I still have the guy's card and may still pursue the car, depending on what I can find out here and if I can get in contact with him. This is the car in question:
corvair left.JPG
corvair rear.JPG
corvair int.JPG
corvair trim tag 2.JPG
corvair engine.JPG
Nice looking car, right? Apparently not what it seems. According to the trim tag, it is actually a Monza, not a Corsa, came from the factory as Marina blue/bright blue interior, not black/black. It is air conditioned but there is no condensing coil or dryer that I can see. The spare is in the trunk, normal on a/c cars? The a/c controls look original but I'm wondering if they and the vents were added when the gauges and trim pieces were put on. The trim tag shows only a code "W" for tinted windshield but no other option codes. Were all of the options documented on the trim tag when new or were they left off? Paint is good, body shows no rust anywhere (Texas car), glass is good, interior looks new, has an aftermarket console, possibly from Clark's. Factory am/fm works, has the servicator mentioned in the previous post, tires and wheels are good, a/c fan blows but not cold, probably for the previously mentioned reasons. He told me one of the carbs was out of adjustment and when I drove it the performance was leisurely, at best. Steers like a boat but no unusual noises anywhere. Anything else I need to look for?

This is obviously a nicely done clone, with some mechanical work to be done. I'm torn on going after this as I don't know what the value of a Corvair clone might be. I'd like to have it, regardless of it's heritage, but I don't want to get hosed on this deal. Last year he was representing it as a Corsa and said he'd take $13k for it, which I thought was high. After sitting on the lot for over a year, the business apparently closed, not being what he said it is, the big question is, what is it worth and what do you offer the guy? I'm also looking at a neighbor's '69 Corvette convertible. He's moving to Italy (!) and needs to sell it fairly fast. I'd really rather have the Corvair and I've thought about flipping the Vette to buy the Corvair. Opinions, please!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

If it looks as good in person as it does in the photos, I would snap it up in a heartbeat! I don't really care what the body tag says... if it is rust and Bondo free it looks like a very-well treated 1966 Corsa clone. Rust-free and good running 140 hp with a clean interior? Act like you are really disappointed that it is not a true Corsa, and try to talk the price down. But in the pictures it looks like it is worth the asking price! :tongue:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
1949chevy

Post by 1949chevy »

Buying a corvette to flip....well, I have owned a very nice numbers matching 68 corvette t-top for 42 years. It is insured by Hagerty Ins for $30,000 and they said anytime I want ...can bump it to $35,000. If you are familiar with midyear vettes, then you know that the early C-3's like you are looking at are now being sought via TV commercials as investors know they are rising in price pretty fast.....their demand is increasing now with the mid years running basically in the 50's for a fairly nice small block driver car....you can still buy a nice corvair for 1/2 to 1/3 what a nice 69 vette conv with matching number, etc should bring. While I love driving the ol $1600.00 corvair very much...there is still nothing like listening and feeling a 327-350hp, 4 speed thats been balanced, etc open that quadrajet and hear those pipes and carb battle for loudness while trying to keep the car in the road....not to mention all the attention it receives cruzing downtown or at car shows.

Anyway....I guess I was day dreaming a little...would be a smart move if you can get the vette right and its a good car....as for mine...it is king of the garage and will always be number one.

DSCF0004.JPG
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

Very nice looking car! I'm in San Antonio too - where is it located I wouldn't mind looking at it and or helping you with it. $13K would work if it was absolutely pristine, maybe a convertible, and a properly tagged Corsa. Though the car is certainly worth some good money.
1966 Corsa Coupe
Joe B

Post by Joe B »

Well, almost another year has passed and I'm STILL looking at this car. Apparently this business has not closed, only slowed to put a showroom in the building. The Corvair is still in the back of the property, doesn't look like it has been run or moved much, but is now showing a little rust on the mags and some issues with the paint. The leading edges of the hood and roof, along with the area around the antenna are showing areas of, for lack of a better word, crackling. I'm sure that it's the result of poor prep, maybe bad paint mix, I don't know for sure what, but if anyone has any ideas what caused this, I'm all ears. Also, the hood is in worse shape than the picture shows.

I know that the paint issue, the rusting mags, the fact it hasn't moved in a long time, etc are all good bargaining chips, but what is this car worth and what kind of an offer is reasonable? Does the entire car have to be stripped and repainted of can it be spot done? What's the cost? Anyone in the San Antonio are know of a good, reasonable painter?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by Joe B on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

It's most likely a "clone", but as Brad said it is desirable. A 140HP Corsa with A/C was ONLY offered one year - in 1966 and are rare as hen's teeth. If it was original it would be worth far more than a "clone". That said if the price is right I would not hesitate to own a "clone". Nobody will mind as long as you present the car for what it is. Granted it won't ever sell for what a "real" A/C Corsa would, but if you get the car at a decent price then that doesn't matter.

Now - the paint was a "shiny cover over a lousy base" and needs to be re-done and that costs. The A/C system needs to be completed and again finding all the parts will cost. Clark's sells the dryer, new condenser, Sanden compressor. You'll need the under dash evaporator if it is not there. Also you need to determine if the engine is sound.

It looks like someone got off to a good start and then gave up on it. With my talents I'd snap it up it if the price was right and make it good. If you are not qualified for a "project" then you'd best move on. Just my two cents for what it's worth.
Joe B

Post by Joe B »

It's definitely a clone. As previously stated, it was born as a blue/blue Monza that appears to have been heavily optioned. I'm sure some things have been added along the way (Servicator, Corsa dash, trim, and badges, new interior, etc. The a/c looks original with the Frigidaire compressor, lines, and evaporator. It does need a freon charge. I can't believe someone would go to the trouble of putting original a/c stuff in and not make the engine bay shine, too. It's a nice little car, the carbs and brakes need a little work and it could used a quick ratio steering box but I'm most concerned right now with the paint. It looked great the first time I saw it but a year later it's crackled. Any estimates of what it's worth as it sits, what it would cost to make the paint right, and what it would be worth once done? That's what's keeping me from pulling the trigger on this guy.

As far as whether or not I'd be able to do a project, you should have seen this thing when I first got it! This one is nothing!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Nice Vette - Since you said you have experience with projects from doing the Vette I'd expect you'd have experience with the process of getting body work and paint done. Yes the Vette is fiberglass, but the process is the same for a steel car. After a few repaints you have an unstable foundation and you end up with cracking and peeling of the newly applied paint after a while. ALL the paint has to be removed and fill and level the body panels, etc. It's best to pull all the glass - well it's a major job. Costs vary by region.

Could you just "fix" the cracked paint area's? Possibly for the short term.

What's the car worth? Well most of use check prices online and then give the car a good going over for hidden rust issues. It sounds like the car is a "Corsarized" Monza with some nice equipment. Price it as a Monza coupe with a 140HP (it was an option on the Monza) and then decide what the options are worth to you.

Without examining the car myself I can't give an estimate.

The car has been sitting there for a year so demand in that area seems low. The owners are letting the wheels go to rust - hmmmm. Odd situation.

Return to “Introductions”