Hello from oklahoma

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Rude

Hello from oklahoma

Post by Rude »

Just purchased my first corvair. Went to a estate sale a month ago seen this old corvair. remembered my mother having one back when i was about 4. I didnt even ask how much they were asking. Later at home i looked it up on the computer. The more i researched the more interested i got in the car. Next thing i knew i was hooked. I went back the the house that had the sale and it was still there. After weeks of research and looking at the car several more times i finnally made the deal. Very happy and ready to start work. It is not running and has been setting for 12 years. Motor turns free. Its a 1965 Corsa 180.Original Blue danube but been repainted a shit rust brown. Plan to put it back blue. 4 speed. telescoping wheel. Fake wood steering wheel. Wire wheels. bunch of extra parts.
Looking forward to being part of this forum.
sam60

Re: Hello from oklahoma

Post by sam60 »

Howdy Rude and Welcome! Sounds like you got a great car. Brad will be along soon and has more and better info than I, but kick your shoe's off and hang out. Lot's of good people here.
140-4 carb w/transaxle - Traded for a guitar

69 Wayne 100 - Blue Water hull - sitting out back
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Welcome.

I have a Corsa also and love it as you will grow to love yours. You could get a lot of parts info from corvair.com which will get you to Clarks Corvair.
They have good paper and computer catalogs
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
bishop1073

Post by bishop1073 »

Welcome. I just joined here and just bought my 1st Corvair yesterday (64 monza 4spd) From the little I have been on here, the guys are great and SUPER knowledgeable. Good luck on the project. Looking forward to seeing and hearing updates on the car.
'64 Corvair Monza 2dr 4spd
Destination....Restoration
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Welcome to the forum! Wow, a Corsa 180 turbo as a first corvair?! Well-done!!!

Know that we all love to see pics of all ya'll's latest 'vair acquisitions!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:tu: :clap: :welcome2: Image :wave: Hello, welcome to the Corvair Forum, and congratulations on what sounds like a great Corvair Corsa find!

I have been involved with Corvairs in my family since 1961, when I was 8 years old and my parents bought our first Corvair — a 1961 Monza coupe. Since that time I have had 10 Corvairs in my life — four of them Corsas (one 1965 turbo) — and the rest were Early Model (1961-1963) coupes and convertibles (including a turbo Spyder convertible), and Late Model (1965-1966) cars. Here are pictures of three Corsas in my past. The blue convertible is my current daily driver...

1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible 140hp 4x1 - Spring 1980 - Base Housing, just after it was repainted Red and a new convertible top was installed. Taken in the parking lot behind base housing at Hanscom Air Force Base. Massachusetts.

Our 1965 Corvair Corsa coupe, 140hp 4x1 - Summer 1981, in my father's driveway at 124 Whitworth Street, just prior to a trip to Lake Tahoe and on to New Jersey, to ship the car to our assignment location near Ramstein AB, Kaiserslautern, Germany — at Thousand Oaks, California.

Engine Compartment of our 1965 Corvair Corsa coupe, Summer 1981

My current 1966 Corsa convertible (140 hp) that I purchased in June 2012

I hope you will post pictures of your recent acquisition. Pictures of the exterior, interior and engine compartment will tell us a lot about your car. If you include a close-up of the body tag and VIN tag in the engine compartment, I can decode them for you and perhaps tell you a little more about your Corvair.

If you choose to remain active on the Corvair Forum and to post text and pictures that show your progress along the way, you will likely be the recipient of a great deal of useful commentary and suggestions from a lot of experienced Corvair owners. We would love to watch you bring your Corvair back to life. The turbocharged engine has some unique characteristics and potential problem areas, but there are a number of turbo Corvair experts here on the Corvair Forum who can help you to successfully evaluate your turbo engine to bring it up to its full capability.

This Corvair Forum link will provide you with some useful Corvair-related websites that you may find to be helpful...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites
Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

The Corvair Forum should prove to be a great help with your project Corvair. But there are limitations to the Internet. You did not describe your background or mechanical capabilities or experience. It would be helpful if you would provide your own personal assessment of your mechanical skills and capabilities. Have you ever worked on a classic car before? Do you have access to tools and a place to work? Providing us with this kind of information will help us to be more responsive to your needs and will help us to prepare more-meaningful answers to your questions.

What part of Oklahoma do you live in? There are two CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters in your state — one in Oklahoma City and one near Tulsa. If either is reasonably close to you I would suggest contacting the nearest club and attending some meetings as you might consider joining them. Local face-to-face contact with other Corvair owners can help a lot as you learn about your car, and socializing with them can also make Corvair ownership much-more enjoyable and interesting. Here are links to the two CORSA club chapters in your area...
Indian Nation Corvair Association
:link: http://www.incaokccorvair.org/
Facebook :link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/107797709242170/

Green Country Corvair Group
:link: http://www.tulsacorvair.com/dokuwiki/doku.php
New member contact email: gccg_new_member@tulsacorvair.com

:welcome: Again, welcome! I look forward to hearing more from you and to seeing pictures of your Corsa.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Rude

Post by Rude »

bbodie52, very nice cars you have. Hopefully mine can look that good some day. Like i said the exterior was repainted and a nonfactory color and it is shot. Will need to do a lot of sanding and some body work. The only rust i see on the car are right behind the front tire and one very small hole on the outside in front of the windshield. Floors are solid, rocker pannels solid, and trunk area solid. A good friend of mine has been a body man at the local dealership for over thirty years. So i will rely on him for that part.

I can do any of the motor work except machining. Ive been working on motors for as long as i can remember. My first car was a 1965 malibu 348 6 pack muncie 4 speed 4/10 posi ladder bars. I really miss her.

I have a 36 by 60 shop for my new project to happen. Im asking santa for a mig welder. I think i have most of the other tools to get by.

I live in Ponca City Oklahoma. 120 miles from Oklahoma City, 90 miles to Tulsa, and 70 miles to Wichita. I have heard that the Wichita group is very active and may join up with them.

I had to cut back on my many hobies as now i am raising two grandchildren. The only two hobies i have now are the corvair and i drag race one of my motorcycles. I race at three tracks, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, and Wichita. My race bike is a very rare Suzuki B-king only 3000 were made in the united states for 2008 only.

I so far have only taken pictures of the VIN and Body tags. I will try to attach them. I didnt get a picture of the engine number but i think it read L0114RL. The number on the turbo ended with 709. Also attached is a hole shot on my suzuki.
Rude

Post by Rude »

Ok trying to figure out how to post a picture.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

To post a picture, do not use QUICK REPLY. Use POST REPLY instead, which provides much-more control over the appearance of your text, and allows you to post pictures.

For detailed instructions, see...

How to post a picture (and start a new topic)

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=618
Brad Bodie
Rude

Post by Rude »

Rude

Post by Rude »

Rude

Post by Rude »

B-KING HOLE SHOT WICHITA KANSAS
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Here is a breakdown of the information on the body tag you provided...

This is a sample of a Corsa Coupe in Danube Blue — 1966 Corsa

BODY TAG INFO:
Body Tag.jpg
Body Build Date: 01B = January (01) Second Week (B)

Interior paint codes – Interior paint codes do not appear on Los Angeles built cars

ST = "Style" 65-10737 = 1965 (65) Chevrolet (1) Corsa (07) Coupe (37) LOS = Los Angeles, California (Van Nuys) Plant, Production Sequence No: 1838
1965 Corvair Corsa 2-Door Coupe, 4 Passenger

TR = "Trim" 733- = Blue (Interior Color)

Exterior color code to go with the above interior color Blue...

E-E = Body color: Dk. Blue (Danube Blue Poly.)
Lucite No. 4631L; Rinshed-Mason No. A1721; Ditzler No. DDL 13002

1965 Fisher body tags ACC line (WRN and LOS): W2LPR3C4PO

1st Group
W = RPO A02 Tinted Windshield only

2nd Group
L = RPO M20 4 Speed
P = (LOS cars only) 2 spd Wipers (LOS listed this separately from the CC group)
R = RPO U80 Rear speaker

3rd Group
C = RPO B70 – Pad, Instrument Panel (Padded Dash)

4th Group
P = RPO Z01 – Convenience Group (Lamp, Glove box; Lamp, Back-up; Mirror, Inside and Outside, Rear View
O = RPO L87 Turbo engine

5th Group
NONE

This is a sample of a Corsa Coupe in Danube Blue — 1966 Corsa

==============================================================================================
VIN.jpg
107375L111926

Your car is a 1965 Corsa coupe.
It was the 11,926th Corvair built at Los Angeles, California that year.

Model
1 = Chevrolet

07 = Corsa (10700 Series)

37 = Coupe

5 = 1965

L = Los Angeles (Van Nuys) Assembly Plant

111926 = The 11,926th model built in 1965 at the Van Nuys plant.

Corvair VIN Decoding Detail

Late Car VIN Detail (1965-1969)

:checkeredflag:
Attachments
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 21 times
Brad Bodie
Rude

Post by Rude »

Great info thanks Brad.
sam60

Post by sam60 »

Rude wrote:Great info thanks Brad.
I wasn't joking when I said Brad would be along with info soon.... ::-):
140-4 carb w/transaxle - Traded for a guitar

69 Wayne 100 - Blue Water hull - sitting out back
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Rude wrote:I live in Ponca City Oklahoma. 120 miles from Oklahoma City, 90 miles to Tulsa, and 70 miles to Wichita. I have heard that the Wichita group is very active and may join up with them.

I had to cut back on my many hobies as now i am raising two grandchildren. The only two hobies i have now are the corvair and i drag race one of my motorcycles. I race at three tracks, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, and Wichita. My race bike is a very rare Suzuki B-king only 3000 were made in the united states for 2008 only.

I so far have only taken pictures of the VIN and Body tags. I will try to attach them. I didnt get a picture of the engine number but i think it read L0114RL. The number on the turbo ended with 709. Also attached is a hole shot on my suzuki.
Your description of your shop, mechanical background, and a good friend with extensive body working experience leaves little doubt that you are prepared to tackle this Corsa and give it plenty of TLC!

:clap: :not worthy: Motorcycles, restoring a turbo Corsa, and raising two grandchildren! May I say that my hat is off to you, and that I admire and respect someone who will take all that on (especially the grandchildren)! May I ask how old they are? Boys or girls?
:funnypost: :woo: :thumbsupwink:

You mentioned that you own several motorcycles, and race the Suzuki. What kind of other bikes do you ride?

By the way, I don't race motorcycles, but I have been riding on the street since 1984...

My First Motorcycle - 1983 Honda CB-1100F with custom Greer full fairing. Taken at rest stop on Mulholland Hwy in Los Angeles/Ventura County area in 1985. Used to commute nearly every weekday from Camarillo, California to Van Nuys ANG Base (approximately 80 miles round-trip).

My 2nd Motorcycle, a 1987 Honda Hurricane CBR1000F. Photo taken in 1990 at 7098 Evaline Lane, Austin, Texas while stationed at Bergstrom AFB.

My 3rd and 4th motorcycles - 2002 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa sport bike and 2003 Yamaha FJR1300 sport touring bike. The Suzuki Hayabusa is capable of 190mph plus speeds (but I am not). This bike has modified exhaust, ignition and fuel-injection control systems, so it might be capable of more than 200mph! I will never know, but it is fun to ride!

Here is some contact information on the Wichita CORSA chapter...

CORSA Chapter Locator - Mid-Continent Corvair Assn.

Chapter ID: 672
Organization Name: Mid-Continent Corvair Assn., Wichita, Kansas
Street Address (Primary): 1212 Patrick Henry St., Derby, KS 67037
President: Doug Horstman, Email: doughorstman@cox.net, Phone: (316) 777-0351
Vice President: Bob Bright, Email: bobenterprises@sbcglobal.net, Phone: (316) 619-5800 (Cellular)
Secretary: Julie Strecker, Email: juliestrk@cox.net
Treasurer: Ned Madsen, Email: aeroned@aol.com, Phone: (316) 680-3483
Newsletter Editor: Terry Kalp, Email: tkalp@cox.net, (316) 755-2458
Newsletter Name: The Flat Six Journal
Sample Newsletter:
MCCA Newsletter - The Flat Six Journal - Sept 2013.pdf
MCCA Newsletter - The Flat Six Journal - Sept 2013
(2.74 MiB) Downloaded 401 times
Email (Primary): mcca@corvair.org
Brad Bodie