Working in the HEAT.

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
2Weber

Working in the HEAT.

Post by 2Weber »

Hello. New to the Corvair world, but not working on cars. Picked up a 66 Monza than needed a good "freshen up". Now its a total knock down and one step from as close as you can get to frame off with one of these. It was a PG 110. Picked up a parts 67 that was a stick and have switched it over. Changed out the right rear quarter and need to do the front left as you can see in the photo. The 67 will donate that as well. Going to go back to the original Aztec Bronze and tweek it a little. Working on the motor, but having trouble with shops that can do the work.

Anybody in Phoenix have a shop that can do a line bore????

Will have parts from the 67 left over and a PG with transaxle to get rid of, so let me know what you need if you are in the area.
Attachments
The beginning!
The beginning!
Brian S

1966 Monza'ish
sam60

Re: Working in the HEAT.

Post by sam60 »

Put a wet towel around your neck.

Can't help with the line bore connection in PHX area.

Nice find! Welcome to the Forum!
140-4 carb w/transaxle - Traded for a guitar

69 Wayne 100 - Blue Water hull - sitting out back
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: Image :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

It sure looks like you are not taking your new hobby lightly! Congratulations on your aggressive and so far successful approach to Corvair restoration! I hope you will continue to document your progress in text and photos here on the Corvair Forum. I believe you will find the members of the Corvair Forum to be both friendly and helpful.

I would suggest joining and getting involved with the local CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapter in your area. They also can be helpful with experience, guidance and advice and are familiar with local sources of support in the Phoenix area. Here is some contact information...

CORSA Chapter Locator - Cactus Corvair Club
Chapter ID: 850
Organization Name: Cactus Corvair Club
Street Address (Primary): P.O. Box 67266, Phoenix, AZ 85082
President: John Seaman, 480-242-1211, rampside63@hotmail.com
Vice President: Miner Fleming
Secretary: Bob Rencenberger
Treasurer: Dianne Rencenberger
Newsletter Editor: Mary Seaman
Newsletter Name: Fanbelt Flyer
Email (Primary): inafix@live.com
We are the oldest continually active Corvair club in existence. Upon receiving a letter from Lou Grubb, general manager at Rudolph Chevrolet (now Lou Grubb Chevrolet), requesting all Corvair owners to form a club that would be sponsored by Chevrolet, the wheels were put into motion. At a lavish dinner meeting on October 2, 1963, 48 enthusiastic members approved a constitution chartering them as the "Cactus Corvair Club," and officers were installed with all the pomp and circumstance. For a number of years it was an uphill struggle as the other sports-car clubs in our Valley of the Sun were not quite sure this rear-engined gadget was a sports car, but as the club acquired a little polish and attempted greater and better events, we also acquired an excellent reputation as a sports-car club. As the appreciation and respect for the Corvair have grown over the years, car shows have become a big part of our yearly activities. Many shopping malls and parade organizers expect us to be regular participants in their annual displays and parades. In March of 1979, Cactus Corvair Club sponsored and presented the first annual All Chevy Day. This is the day for all Chevy enthusiasts to throw aside model preferences and just picnic, chat, and enjoy each other's cars and company. Attendance has doubled every year and now draws hundreds of old and new Chevys of all descriptions, making it one of the most popular annual car shows in the state of Arizona. Due to the closing of Lou Grubb Chevrolet / Power Chevrolet, the Cactus Corvair Club has moved to Thorobred Chevrolet in Chandler.

Meetings are held on the first Wednesday of each month (except for July and August)
Location is at Thorobred Chevrolet 2121 N. Arizona Ave - Chandler AZ 85225
Meetings start at 7PM. Driving a Corvair is encouraged but not required.
Here is another possibility for support assistance...

Arizona Corvair Corral
:link: http://www.corvaircorral.com/index.html

Contact Information

Please be sure to call if you need help.
Arizona Corvair Corral
1043 W. Roundup St
Apache Junction, AZ 85120

Home 623-698-9313
Mobile phone 480-242-1211

Email John rampside63@hotmail.com

Follow this link for some Corvair-related websites that may prove to be useful to you...

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

Again, welcome! :welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

2Weber wrote:Anybody in Phoenix have a shop that can do a line bore????
a line bore isnt done w/a vair engine for many reasons & if done will get you in a big mess - dont do it. why do you think the engine needs to be line bored?

-Scott V.
croderique
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by croderique »

I found this stream on the other forum about line boring. Not really recommended as Scott V says.
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 039,125097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Per John S. there is a machine shop in Mesa, S&S Machine Shop, that works on Corvairs. Didn't know if they ever line bore a Corvair due to the issues discussed in the corvaircenter forum.
Chuck Roderique
1966 Corvair Monza Convertible, 110 H.P. 4 sp, Aztec Bronze with Bronze Interior
2Weber

Post by 2Weber »

The machine shop I took it to, one I used before although a V8, said it was out. I forget the amount, but had him talk to Jon over at the Corvair Corral and he said it would eat the bearing. Dropped the case at another shop and they were to have it done already, but when I called they told me they could not find there jig. Talked to MANY shops and several have done this in the past, when there were more to do, but none still had the fixtures. I will have the second shop check the bore and will update. May just go see Jon and get another case.

Never would have guessed this to be my big problem. Guess its all easy from here, right?
Brian S

1966 Monza'ish
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

Scott is right...we do not line bore our cases.

Whom ever told you it needs it is ripping you off.

Or has no previous Corvair knowledge.

Get another case and/or another machine shop.
Attachments
banner3.jpg
banner3.jpg (36.09 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The idea of line-boring a Corvair engine apparently came from the common practice of line-boring VW engines.
Fortunately, the Corvair engine is not likely to need line-boring like the VWs often do.
See: Corvair Engine Trial Fit Assembly

:link: http://www.n56ml.com/corvair/trial_assy.html
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

S & S in Mesa is where I've had some Vair work done but never a line bore (and never heard of anyone doing that on a Vair). I'm far from an expert on rebuilding engines.

I hope Todd and S & S is still around. Times have been tough and it's been a couple of years since I've had them do work for me.

S & S Machine Shop
20 N Rogers Dr (Main St. and Alma School Rd)
Mesa AZ 85201
(480) 464-9385
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

2Weber wrote:The machine shop I took it to, one I used before although a V8, said it was out.
*cut*
May just go see Jon and get another case.

Never would have guessed this to be my big problem. Guess its all easy from here, right?
maybe you dont have a problem. better to check the case yourself & not think the shop is right.

follow the shop manual - put main bearings in the case - lay in some plasticgage & torque it spec. pull it apart & see what the plasticgage tells you. only then you will know.

fyi - the factory put different size bearings in the case to make up for machineing errors. some factory engines have std & .001 bearings to get the clearances. nothing wrong w/doing it this way.

-Scott V.
2Weber

Post by 2Weber »

Wow didn't know this would be so interesting. Here is the current status. I have a second shop checking the line bore to see how much it is out. A totally different shop that I called today is checking to see if he has a good case lying around. The third shop owner has a bunch of experience with Corvairs (standard and racing) motors and agrees that it is a bad idea to mess with milling and re-boring. I am leaning towards, heavily, to getting a new case.

On a different topic, a couple shots of the “new” rear quarter. Oddly, it was the passenger side and the driver’s side was fine. Full of dirt and a couple bonus tools, but rust free.

I am sure there is a better place and way to change the quarter, but I had some limitations with the donor. I will say mine is better than the other corner on the donor. I filler in the weld with spots and not overheating the panel. Need to finish some stripping of paint as well.

I was suprised to find the couple spots that were brass brazed from the factory. I cheated and migged them back.

Any opinions on external oil coolers? The motor was CAKED with nasty stuff, no wonder it ran hot and burnt a piston.

AZDave - S&S is still around. Not to the line bore. They sent me to the second shop.
Attachments
Rear quarter gone
Rear quarter gone
Rear-on.jpg
Rear-on-2.jpg
Brian S

1966 Monza'ish
VairGrl Missy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by VairGrl Missy »

bbodie52 wrote: :wave: Image :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

It sure looks like you are not taking your new hobby lightly! Congratulations on your aggressive and so far successful approach to Corvair restoration! I hope you will continue to document your progress in text and photos here on the Corvair Forum. I believe you will find the members of the Corvair Forum to be both friendly and helpful.

I would suggest joining and getting involved with the local CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapter in your area. They also can be helpful with experience, guidance and advice and are familiar with local sources of support in the Phoenix area. Here is some contact information...

CORSA Chapter Locator - Cactus Corvair Club
Chapter ID: 850
Organization Name: Cactus Corvair Club
Street Address (Primary): P.O. Box 67266, Phoenix, AZ 85082
President: John Seaman, 480-242-1211, rampside63@hotmail.com
Vice President: Miner Fleming
Secretary: Bob Rencenberger
Treasurer: Dianne Rencenberger
Newsletter Editor: Mary Seaman
Newsletter Name: Fanbelt Flyer
Email (Primary): inafix@live.com
We are the oldest continually active Corvair club in existence. Upon receiving a letter from Lou Grubb, general manager at Rudolph Chevrolet (now Lou Grubb Chevrolet), requesting all Corvair owners to form a club that would be sponsored by Chevrolet, the wheels were put into motion. At a lavish dinner meeting on October 2, 1963, 48 enthusiastic members approved a constitution chartering them as the "Cactus Corvair Club," and officers were installed with all the pomp and circumstance. For a number of years it was an uphill struggle as the other sports-car clubs in our Valley of the Sun were not quite sure this rear-engined gadget was a sports car, but as the club acquired a little polish and attempted greater and better events, we also acquired an excellent reputation as a sports-car club. As the appreciation and respect for the Corvair have grown over the years, car shows have become a big part of our yearly activities. Many shopping malls and parade organizers expect us to be regular participants in their annual displays and parades. In March of 1979, Cactus Corvair Club sponsored and presented the first annual All Chevy Day. This is the day for all Chevy enthusiasts to throw aside model preferences and just picnic, chat, and enjoy each other's cars and company. Attendance has doubled every year and now draws hundreds of old and new Chevys of all descriptions, making it one of the most popular annual car shows in the state of Arizona. Due to the closing of Lou Grubb Chevrolet / Power Chevrolet, the Cactus Corvair Club has moved to Thorobred Chevrolet in Chandler.

Meetings are held on the first Wednesday of each month (except for July and August)
Location is at Thorobred Chevrolet 2121 N. Arizona Ave - Chandler AZ 85225
Meetings start at 7PM. Driving a Corvair is encouraged but not required.
Here is another possibility for support assistance...

Arizona Corvair Corral
:link: http://www.corvaircorral.com/index.html

Contact Information

Please be sure to call if you need help.
Arizona Corvair Corral
1043 W. Roundup St
Apache Junction, AZ 85120

Home 623-698-9313
Mobile phone 480-242-1211

Email John rampside63@hotmail.com

Follow this link for some Corvair-related websites that may prove to be useful to you...

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

Again, welcome! :welcome:
WELCOME!!!
I'm pretty new here myself, although I have been a Corvair owner/driver for around three years!!! You look like ya got one heck of a nice find there with your '66 !! We have a '66 Corsa as well... in Victory Red!! WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME!!!! :welcome: :welcome2: :goodpost:
Miss
:welcomeparty:
Missy Rodriguez
'61 Monza Air Vair Rose
'62 Monza Lola under construction
'63 Monza Lucy Now retired to Corvair Heaven
:EMs Rule:
Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Am-Iron »

Welcome to the forum! Great start on the car.
Check out my FB Page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvair-O ... 0804308827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2Weber

Post by 2Weber »

Well I guess it has been so long the title is now defunct. Work has a way of messing with your rebuild time!! I got a free day and got a good jump on the rust repair.

Back up a couple weeks and there was good news for Corvairs. I had a parts car that I was getting all my panels off of and was going to strip and scrap what wouldn't sell. Just happened to see and ad on Craigslist for a guy looking for sheet metal. Long story short, he needed all the stuff I didn't cut! 1 parts car 2 cars saved!

Back to the repairs. The front corner was smashed and "repaired" before I got it. Nothing a couple fender washers, bunch of welding and a ton of bondo didn't fix. Well I cut that all off and had to do it a little bit more creatively than planned. Due to the bent metal I came into the wheel well and cut it short of the fuel filler due to some rust on the donor car. Haven't finished the fit or started the welding, but hope to this weekend. Also did a couple repairs, one on the area by the door on the fender (drivers) and one on the front corner of the passenger door. Every time I cut a panel off this car I am STUNNED at the amount of debris inside. What were they thinking when they designed these cars! Hell I live in Phoenix and can see the problems that leave and junk will cause, and we don’t have that many.
Attachments
Front fender gone.
Front fender gone.
Just sitting,waiting for the final fit.
Just sitting,waiting for the final fit.
Pass door patch.  Yeah, I will have to do a little weld on the inside.
Pass door patch. Yeah, I will have to do a little weld on the inside.
Drivers side patch
Drivers side patch
Brian S

1966 Monza'ish

Return to “Introductions”