New in Mass

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
BritCars

Re: New in Mass

Post by BritCars »

You have a terrific Corvair Club, Bay State Corvairs, in MA and I would urge you to get in touch with them. Their website is http://www.corvair.org/chapters/chapter017/.

I want to echo comments on the '64 model years; if you like the early models, it's the best handling of them and the then-new engine put out more horsepower. But, if you're a driver who doesn't get particular about whether you have a Powerglide or a 3/4 speed, then the handling improvement built into the '64 probably won't matter to you - so you can look at earlier year models, too.

You should have a Corvair enthusiast accompany you on any eventual purchase. Since nothing is more fun for a Corvair fan than spending someone else's money, don't hesitate to ask for help from a Bay State club member. There's probably one near you.

When you get your Corvair, drive to Maine and let us know when you're visiting.

Jeff
Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
http://www.landroverwriter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'66 Corvair Monza Coupe 110/4
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88"
'80 Triumph Spitifre
'80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Welcome to CF
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
Bruins_Fan
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Bruins_Fan »

Brad,

Thanks for the link. The car in Braintree does look great, just wish I could afford it! :sad5: I'm still in the learning/research stage anyway. Since I'm not a mechanic, I'm trying to do my homework first. I'm starting to narrow my focus on the 1964 convertible w/o turbo (taking your advice on that re: added maintenance concerns with a turbo, and the fact that the nearest shop on CORSA's list is in southern Maine, about 60 miles away). Speaking of...if a shop is on the CORSA list, can I pretty much expect they are truly competent with Corvair repairs?

Jeff,

I agree, I'd love to have a knowledgeable owner take a look before I bought! I see there is also a CORSA chapter a bit closer to me, Colonial, in Arlington, MA. Is that an active chapter? Their website looked like it hadn't been updated for quite a while.
'66 Monza Convertible 110hp Powerglide
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

You need to always remember that all Corvairs are from 43 to 52 years old, and ask yourself why you want to be a Corvair owner in the first place! Yes, they can serv as a "daily driver", and perform quite well in that role. But they ARE OLD and AGING, and like any complex mechanical device they will fail from time to time and will require regular maintenance and repair. They will never have the reliability you would expect from a modern, well-designed car like a Honda, Nissan or Toyota. It may serve in the role as a "daily driver", but it cannot be a drive it and forget type of vehicle. It is also not necessarily an economical vehicle to operate. If you buy a cheap example, you will probably have to spend much-more in maintenance and upkeep costs just trying to keep a poorly-maintained car on the road (because previous owners did not take good care of it). If you invest more initially, you will still have to take care of it, but it will probably be more reliable and ownership will probably be more satisfying and less-problematic. But because it IS a classic, you may not WANT to drive it in the winter, because doing so will subject it to possible road salt damage and decay, and the possibility of an accident in the winter is always greater on slick, icey roads (if you don't hit something, something might hit you!) Do you REALLY want to risk your classic collector car by making it a "daily driver" in the winter??? You my also want to buy "stated value" full-coverage insurance on your classic Corvair, to ensure that the insurance company won't just depreciate and "write off" a damaged Corvair because they undervalue it due to age. But "stated value" full insurance coverage on your Corvair will cost more. Also, most Corvairs will get about 20-24 MPG on the average, but most won't be happy if you try to run them on Regular, low-octane gas. Most Corvairs have a higher compression ratio and are tuned for Premium gas, so gas will cost more per gallon. I would compare owning a Corvair to owning a high-performance motorcycle. Regular maintenance, more-costly upkeep, higher cost insurance, fun to drive (but not in the winter in New England), and more-costly premium fuel. Also be prepared to learn to be a "shadetree mechanic" -- at least to some extent. Good Corvair mechanics can be found, and local Corvair club owners will help you to locate them. But mechanics are expensive, so the more DIY work you can manage, the more you will save. DIY maintenance on a Corvair (or motorcycle) is part of the "fun" and pride of ownership! But that means buying parts, tools, shop manuals, and having a place to work. Try to contact the local clubs you find listed on CORSA's Web site. Some clubs are larger and more active than others. Some clubs do a better job of maintaining their Web site than others, but the condition of the Web site does not necessarily reflect the condition of the club chapter. The only way to find out is to contact the club and interact with the members. Over time you will find out the nature and character of the club, and over time you will decide what your own contribution and degree of participation with the club will be!

Overall, be honest with yourself and your reasons for wanting to buy a Corvair. If you have realistic expectations and still want to take the plunge, you will be less-likely to end up disappointed. The Corvair is a hobby and ownership can be fun if you look at it like a hobby. it is not just transportation. (Like a motorcycle -- right?)
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Bruins_Fan
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Bruins_Fan »

I would not drive it in winter conditions. When the weather is good (pavement nice and clear), I would drive it in the winter months, but when the snow is flying or the roads are icy, salty, etc, I would keep the car in my garage. I'm not interested in turning a nice car into a rust bucket over a couple of winters!

And I have no delusions about a ~45 year old car operating with anywhere near the reliability of a newer Honda. I've long thought about owning a classic car, and had often thought that the Corvair would be that car. I wish I had more knowledge on auto repair, and would hope to learn at least basic maintenance and be able to do some of that on my own. I'm probably average for mechanical aptitude, so hopefully not a total loss in that department. That said, I realize the bigger issues would likely need to be handled by a good shop.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I think the local Corvair clubs are the key to getting you into Corvair ownership. Corvair owners do well by helping and advising each other. As you make friends in the clubs you will be sharing knowledge. Perhaps you can gain mechanical skill and knowledge by offering to help owners with their projects. I can't think of any better way to learn how to work on Corvairs when you don't yet own one of your own! Many owners will welcome the help with their cars and car projects, and along the way you will be gaining valuable friendships, skills, and knowledge. When you are ready to move forward with buying your own car, I'm sure that other club members would love to go with you and help you to spend your money -- and spend it wisely. There is nothing like having extra sets of experienced, "trained eyes" to go with you when you are going to look at a Corvair for possible purchase! It sounds like you have some good plans for building up your knowledge and funds, taking your time before you "take the plunge". Good luck to you!
Brad Bodie
Bruins_Fan
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Bruins_Fan »

Hello all,

I'm back after a 5 year absence. I never did buy a Corvair, but the idea has remained in the back of my mind...life, work, etc got in the way! I still don't see a Corvair in the immediate future with other obligations, but do see this happening down the road. We're probably moving in the next year or so, and garage space will be a requirement!!!

Good to be back and look forward to continuing to learn.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: Welcome back! We used to be stationed with the Air Force at Hanscom Air Force Base in Bedford Massachusetts from 1977 to 1980. I really loved it there but had to move on (to Germany), and although I've been back to New England on vacation the closest I've ever lived to New England since 1980 was in Pennsylvania. Do you have an idea where you plan to relocate to?

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

I would recommend that you consider joining one of these Massachusetts area Corvair clubs. You don't have to own a Corvair to join and socializing with Corvair owners, and possibly riding in, driving, and viewing their Corvairs might better prepare you for the day that you actually decide to go ahead and purchase one.

Image Bay State Corvairs
Bay State Corvair Club, 33 Woodhaven Blvd., North Providence, RI 02911
:link: http://www.corvair.org/chapters/chapter017/
The Bay State Corvair Club is the original Massachusetts chapter of CORSA (#017 of the Corvair Society of America). We were established in 1974, and have since grown with the hobby to include many members with decades of love and knowledge of this unique automobile. We are a diverse group, including the heavily technical, the occasional cruisers, those knee-deep in restorations, and the mere aficionados. Ownership of a Corvair is not required at all.
ImageColonial Corvair Club
44 Columbia Rd., Arlington. MA :link: http://www.corvair.org/chapters/chapter019
The Colonial Corvair Club is a chapter of CORSA, the Corvair Society of America. It serves eastern Massachusetts and includes members from New Hampshire and Maine.
:welcome:
Brad Bodie

Return to “Introductions”