A Word of Thanks

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
drive_slow_look_fast

A Word of Thanks

Post by drive_slow_look_fast »

I haven't posted here for a while, but it seems as though most of the more knowledgeable people have migrated here from the Corsa Forum. That said, I'd like to give thanks to all of the members over here who have offered parts, advice, kind words and cautionary tales. Throughout my four-year build process I have gone through, modified and rebuilt every mechanical component of my 65 Corsa turbo with the exception of my engine's bottom end. Hopefully next winter I'll begin a hot engine build with the parts that I've been gathering--(NOS OTTO TB20 cam, NOS TRW forged pistons, NOS exhaust valves, deflashed and ported 95hp heads, yadda, yadda, yadda...) So far I've had 80 trouble free miles since getting it all back together and although I'm still learning how to drive with a rear weight bias, the car is a blast as it is now!

I could not have done it without the support of the members of Corvairs Northwest and the members of both forums. I hope to return the favor to new folks as they trickle in because these are among the last affordable classic cars.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Corsa Turbo
fred bagnall

Re: A Word of Thanks

Post by fred bagnall »

Please post some pictures of your Corsa. We all like to see what you have been busy with for the past 4 years. Thanks for keeping us updated on your build. :tu: :chevy:
drive_slow_look_fast

IMG_0295 (3).jpeg
IMG_0295 (3).jpeg (37.7 KiB) Viewed 300 times
These were made last week while I was putting through Point Defiance Park, waiting for the oil to heat up.
Attachments
IMG_1984.jpeg
IMG_1984.jpeg (42.82 KiB) Viewed 300 times
Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Corsa Turbo
fred bagnall

Post by fred bagnall »

Nice looking build. Is that a Weber with the progressive mod to it? I like the stance. Did you cut any coils or any other suspension mods? :coolphotos:
drive_slow_look_fast

Yes, according to Ray Sedman, the Weber was modded by Warren LeVeque a very long time ago. The vacuum nipple was snapped off, so I made a new one using a modified brake bleeder screw with s bras tube that I soldered inside of it. Works like a champ and Sedman will use that idea on his future Weber conversions. I have HD springs in the rear with Koni shocks for a 67-69 Camaro (half hard), C4 Corvette lower struts and new bushings throughout. Still have drums in the rear. Not sure what the springs are in front, but they're stiff and aftermarket. I cut a half coil and installed modified Koni shocks from a Chevelle (full soft). I also got a rebuilt steering box from John Sweet to go with Matt Nall's quick steering arms, stiffened steering linkage and Seth Emerson's bump steer kit to compliment the discs in front. I moved the battery and spare tire to the front and installed a dual master cylinder and new break lines. Between that and the air dam, it handles very well! I removed all of the play from the shifting linkage by lubing the shifter, installing bronze bushings, a power steering u-joint from a Civic that connects the linage to the transmission. I have an early Safeguard installed and a waste gate to go with my modded turbo and top end. Luckily, I live two blocks from a marina, so ethanol free gas is very close by. I also have a water methanol set up and a Black box from CB Performance, but I'll install them with the new engine whenever I get to it. Being 6' 2", I had to extend my sear rails back about 5" and installed a smaller grant steering wheel so I can shift a little easier and egress somewhat gracefully. LEDs throughout and I have oil temp and pressure gauges where the radio used to be.

Because I did all of the cooling mods, it takes a while to warm up and I always regret heading home after it wakes up. These are fun cars and I look forward to exploiting the rear weight bias!
Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Corsa Turbo
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

Your name is familiar from over there. It looks like a nice performance Corvair and you're taking good care of it. It's good to see it's coming together.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
County98

Post by County98 »

Nice!
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079