Introductions

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
30 granada

Introductions

Post by 30 granada »

Hello,

I am 30 granada and just became a new member of this forum. In the early 1970's I built a 1962 beetle street rod with a Hadleys Transvair set up in it. I drove it in parades, events and occasional rides up until about 1990. It was a wonderful street machine and was thoroughly enjoyed. I installed a nearly new 140 engine in it with 4 reworked carbs, air cleaners,and linkages. It has a 1963 corvair 4 speed posi trac transmission. Around 1990 i removed the engine/transmission package and was going to make looks upgrades under the hood and install a new Sway Away rear bar set up. These items were purchased and then my interest was replaced with other things. I have an interest now on getting this wonderful machine back on the road. I will try to add pictures of the car later. I am wondering if any of you folks have ever fabricated tube headers straight off of the heads and taken them to sidepipes.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Introductions

Post by UNSAFE »

Welcome from Alaska !
Attachments
IMG_1806.JPG
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
65Ragtop

Post by 65Ragtop »

Welcome from Sunny Arizona! Sounds like a nice machine.
Attachments
AZ Desert.jpg
AZ Desert.jpg (162.28 KiB) Viewed 830 times
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome!

Make the most of the snow.

(I live in WI)
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
CARGOIL

Post by CARGOIL »

Welcome aboard from sunny Southern Cal. :wave:
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Welcome 30 Granada! Hey, that setup sounds kinda cool.....I wanna see pics of it when you get a chance! (I'm still in love with that 'vair-powered rat rod beetle at Bonneville, with the pics posted somewhere around here)
30 granada

Post by 30 granada »

Hi Flat 6, I have tried to post pictures of this beetle with the instructions that are a part of this forum, but so far I have not been able to do so.
I will still try soon again,
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Tell us at which step do you have the problem with posting photos and we'll try to help .

Here's the link below -

viewtopic.php?f=196&t=618
Attachments
8099a.jpg
8099a.jpg (15.59 KiB) Viewed 796 times
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
SVLVair

Post by SVLVair »

To 30 granada, it's a little tricky, here is how to do it. Click on "Full Editor" button at the bottom of the page. Hit enter once or twice to place the cursor below your text. Then click on the "Img" button. Your cursor should be blinking between two brackets that say "Img". Now scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Upload Attachment". Click the browse button to find you file and click open. Your file should now be next to the browse button.
Click "add the File" button, then scroll back to the bottom of the page and click "Place in Line" button. You should see your message with the file you attached between the brackets. You still can't see the picture, its just code. Click the preview button at the bottom of the page and if the picture attached correctly with your message, then click "Submit' at the bottom of the page. Your message should have the attachment now.
Good Luck,
Rick
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

You don't have to use the [IMG] code if using the upload attachment feature. The [IMG] brackets are for pictures that are hosted on another site, facebook, photobucket, etc.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
SVLVair

Post by SVLVair »

Oh cool, thats good to know. Its the only way I have been able to upload pics.
thanks Scott.
30 granada

Post by 30 granada »

Thanks to all that are trying to help. Where I hit a dead end is after hitting the "Add The File" button I do not see
a "Place In Line" button anywhere on my screen
Goop Of Oil
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Goop Of Oil »

After clicking on the Add The File button, Scroll down and click on the Preview button and then scroll Up to make sure that the picture is showing up successfully!
If it is, you should be able to scroll down and see where it says Place inline. If the picture is Not showing up, then there is another problem.
After clicking on Place inline you will see something like the following show up in the white Text Box
(attachment=0]YourPictureFileName.JPG[/attachment)
With copy/paste/delete you can move the above line to anywhere within your text. Any pictures you add but do not use the Place inline button will show up AFTER all text. For instance, the picture of the 2011 Glasses below was the First picture that I uploaded but because I did not use
PlaceInline.JPG
the Place inline button, it shows up last.
Hope this helps! :fingerscrossed:
Attachments
2011glasses.jpg
2011glasses.jpg (14.84 KiB) Viewed 778 times
30 granada

Post by 30 granada »

Hi,

I’m going to try this picture posting again a little different way. I have brought up my
pictures on the computer screen and took photos of the screen. Then re-entered the pics into my hard drive. I think this will put the picture in a different format and maybe this will work. I am not an expert on computers and I really appreciate you folks working with me. These pictures were taken at The West Virginia Oil & Gas Festival in 1972. The car today looks as good as it did in 1972. It has been covered and in a dry storage garage. The drive train is out of the car at the present time and will start the upgrading of items that I would like to do and get it back together.

I am a retired Mechanical Engineer after 41 years at the profession. I was the Engineering & Drafting Supervisor the last 25 years of my career and have designed and built a lot of working chemical units, buildings, tanks, etc.

One item that comes to my attention, with my renewed of interest in putting my Beetle back together, is the rear wheel bearings. These bearings seem to be more scarce than a 10,000 pound elephant and the bearing doesn’t appear to be very complex in construction. We are only talking here about a bearing that has to deal with a 6000 rpm motor speed divided by 3.55 rear axle ratio, or 1690 RPM. From a speed standpoint , this is not a very fast application. It appears to me that the only thing holding the wheel from coming out of the car is the tight fit between the inside diameter of the axle bearing race and the axle outside diameter bearing surface. If this is true, please comment on my assumption. I certainly would want to install an axle locking collar of some sort on the axle itself to prevent this possible dislodgement, when I re-install these in the car.
Note: They were in this car over a 20 year, 5000 mile service life, the speedometer was buried many a time, and it was worked hard on local crooked road. I I did not have any problems of any kind. The locking collar arrangement is a common practice on conveyor drives, and many applications on mechanical production equipment. I have a retired friend that was a part of our design team that handled all of this type applications. He was the most knowledgeable about bearings and gear drives of anyone that I ever knew. If I could get all the actual dimensions or drawings of these bearings, maybe I could talk him into trying to match up a bearing that would meet all the requirements that we have and be able to get them off of a shelf for a reasonable price.

At this point, you folks are wondering why I do not just measure my own bearings and go from there. When I took the car apart 20 years ago, the bearings were removed by grinding and splitting them off of the axles. Parts of these bearings were then throwed away. I might be able to find the scrap ones in a junk box, but it would be easier overall if the dimensions, details were from you folks. When this car was originally put together, I purchased a 1963 Corvair Convertible with a positraction 4 speed rear end. I bought a std traction rear end and swapped it out of the car. I then sold the car. . The car was like new and only had 33,000 miles on it. My problem at this point in time is that I do not remember where I bought the backing plates and axles for this conversion or exactly what year they are. I will need you folks help here. Are all the axles the same from 1960 to 1964??. Are the backing plates and brake assemblies the same.

The axles that I have now were drilled for Chevy wheels, per instructions from Hadley’s transvair. More later>>>
CARGOIL

Post by CARGOIL »

Christmas in Calif. It's a tough life out here.
Attachments
christmas@mark.jpg
christmas@mark.jpg (7.04 KiB) Viewed 745 times
Butcher&Vairs

Post by Butcher&Vairs »

:welcome2: ....... :rafman:
Attachments
LOLO.jpg
Rafee Corvair, parts and service, in the heartland of the USA
http://www.rafeecorvair.com
tel: 918-753-2486, available 7 days a week, no charge for advice