Newbie full of questions. (I will search 1st LOL)

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Nonhog

Newbie full of questions. (I will search 1st LOL)

Post by Nonhog »

Just yesterday I bought a 66 Monza 110 PG. It is a little rough but likely normal stuff? I was going to pass until I drove it. Really surprised with a tiny 110HP (probably much less now) how fun it was to drive. I figured the PG would make it a total dog, but it wasn't. Its no muscle car but who cares.
My thought was mid engine swap, possibly electric but now I'm somewhat taken by the stock vibe. Even drives good with all the rotted and/or missing bushings. I've had several Muscle cars and recently had a few Volvo's. 65 ish cars to date and don't recall ever driving a Corvair. I may be hooked. :my02:
So much to learn, such as the front fender don't unbolt. Okay learning is fun.
vair.jpg
One question.... Any such thing as a Corvair tutorial? My thirst for knowledge is great.LOL
Tucson AZ area car guy :tu:
Beers

Re: Newbie full of questions. (I will search 1st LOL)

Post by Beers »

Congrats Nonhog and welcome! Have fun with the new ride, nothing drives quite like a Corvair.

As far as a primer, I think CORSA (the national car club for Corvairs) is still offering a free copy of “Corvair Basics” to any new member. It’s an easy read to get a better understanding of the car and CORSA has a lot of other technical info available that you might find interesting. “The Classic Corvair” by Bob Helt is another great book, a little more in depth. Both are good reads for someone new to this car.
1963 Monza Spyder convertible
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I've got an almost perfect '66 Malibu and Corvairs drive like race cars compared to it.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
wbabst

Post by wbabst »

:welcome: Welcome to the forum and the Wonderful World of Corvairs! I was an old soul at a young age. The newest car I have ever bought for myself to drive has been 1965 or older. I have made numerous cross country road trips in these cars, including a 1951 Plymouth Cranbrook Club Coupe, 1956 Chevy 210 Station Wagon (once towing a boat), a 1956 Buick Special, 1962 Buick Special Convertible and a 1962 Buick Skylark 2 door hard top. I bought my first Corvair as a project for my daughter to drive. Ended up getting her a 1963 Monza Convertible instead when the Project wasn't ready. When I started driving that car I fell in love with the Corvair. I thoroughly enjoyed and loved all the above mentioned cars, but none of them was ever as much just sheer FUN to drive as the Corvair is. Not the quickest or the fastest but damn they just handle so nicely FUN sums it up so well! I purposely will take twisty backroads to enjoy the car on. Have fun with yours and the guys here will be helpful even if you don't search 1st :tongue: !
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Nonhog - It's refreshing to see someone enjoy a PG Corvair. Sure most like the fun of a manual four speed, and they are fun on "hobby car weekend mornings" when the traffic is light. Having said that a PG Corvair is nice in big city traffic.

As you said the car still handles well, but it's a more relaxed type of driving and great for a nice cruise.
corvair500

Post by corvair500 »

There are several clips on the Corvair at youtube . Some are "how to's" all are interesting .

Return to “Introductions”