Newbie pics of my 65

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
King

Newbie pics of my 65

Post by King »

Here are the pics of my 1965 Corvair Corsa. Looks pretty good but I have a lot of work to do on the rocker panels.
Attachments
IMG_2407.JPG
IMG_2409.JPG
IMG_2409.JPG (68.16 KiB) Viewed 311 times
IMG_2412.JPG
IMG_2412.JPG (83.95 KiB) Viewed 311 times
IMG_2414.JPG
IMG_2414.JPG (85.03 KiB) Viewed 311 times
IMG_2421.JPG
IMG_2421.JPG (66.06 KiB) Viewed 311 times
King

Re: Newbie pics of my 65

Post by King »

What no one likes my 65???Thats ok I do!
Beers

Post by Beers »

Hey King, count me in! I like it as well! How is it running/driving?
1963 Monza Spyder convertible
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Looks great, King! How does she run? Weird, this is the first I'm seeing this thread.
King

Post by King »

Thanks Guys! The engine and the transmission are really good. Drove it the other day. I do need to replace the master cylinder. It's leaking a little bit. Got one coming from Clark's. I do have a little rust which is bothering me. But I will figure it out. All in all it's pretty nice little car
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

King wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:58 am Thanks Guys! The engine and the transmission are really good. Drove it the other day. I do need to replace the master cylinder. It's leaking a little bit. Got one coming from Clark's. I do have a little rust which is bothering me. But I will figure it out. All in all it's pretty nice little car
Dig into any rocker panel rust with vigor and replace or repair with welded steel as needed. The rockers are the primary structure in the convertible and doing any less is asking for trouble. Looks like the car might be a good candidate for repair, but, really can not tell about structural rocker rust until you strip paint and really poke around. Welcome, glad to help in any way I can.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
King

Post by King »

Thanks much! Wish you lived around the corner!
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

King wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:35 pm Thanks much! Wish you lived around the corner!
Thanks. Last restoration I did was from 2 states away:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

King

Post by King »

Thats crazy! Just real scared about the rust.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

King wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:47 pm Thats crazy! Just real scared about the rust.
You need to be, before you spend a wad on a car that is not structurally sound. Better to find it early than find it later.

King

Post by King »

How do I know it's a structural problem? Sorry but I am really new to this. Any tips or tell tale signs?
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

Nice car King!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
plrgpr

Post by plrgpr »

A couple of ways I’ve been told to check for structural reliability is to lift the entire side of the car with a floor Jack and check to see if the door gaps change and while it’s up on the Jack, check to see if doors open and close normally. Another check....raise the top a few inches, open the door, grab it at the lower back and shake it up & down and observe if there is any flexing around the cowl/windshield area separate from the rest of the car. Your car sure looks nice!
Gary Roberson
66 Vert 140 4-sp Corsa “clone”
King

Post by King »

Thanks Guys! I will checkout your recommendations Gary!
plrgpr

Post by plrgpr »

👍
Gary Roberson
66 Vert 140 4-sp Corsa “clone”
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

plrgpr wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:07 am A couple of ways I’ve been told to check for structural reliability is to lift the entire side of the car with a floor Jack and check to see if the door gaps change and while it’s up on the Jack, check to see if doors open and close normally. Another check....raise the top a few inches, open the door, grab it at the lower back and shake it up & down and observe if there is any flexing around the cowl/windshield area separate from the rest of the car. Your car sure looks nice!
This is the way. A little door gap growth at the top of the rear of the door at the 1/4 panel is somewhat normal even if the car is not compromised. 1/8-3/16 gap growth would be fairly normal more is not. The door not opening well when jacked at the rear jack point does not bode well at all, unless the door is significantly out of adjustment or the hinges are worn.

If you are going to do repairs and paint for some of the obvious rusty spots like lower left 1/4 panel front (looks like a hole in your photos?), be sure to strip all the paint off the rocker panels and ideally out of the pockets behind the lower door hinges looking for any holes and filler. If there are any holes keep in mind that these areas rust from inside out, so, any holes you see in the steel are usually surrounded by areas of steel that are almost rusted through from the inside. Any holes in the rocker panels or posts should be cut out and the inside of the steel around them felt for more rust. If more rust is felt cut some more. If there are rust holes periodically along any significant length of the rocker panels the outer rocker panelsl should be replaced, Unfortunately, only after the car is braced so it can not sag during repair and the outer rocker skin is removed can the central heavy convertible steel brace be inspected to see if it is compromised as well.

You can use a refrigerator magnet and stick it along the rocker from the front to the rear to see how well it sticks. (Stick it to some other known solid steel for reference of how strong it sticks) If it sticks weakly along the rocker something is up like maybe holes filled with fiberglass or body filler. This method is useful in any suspected repair or rust areas and works to a point without paint removal to get an idea of what is under.
Last edited by terribleted on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Introductions”