New Guy in Michigan...

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
rwantin

New Guy in Michigan...

Post by rwantin »

...where he is seeing his first snow after living in So Cal for the last eight years. ::-):

I've owned two Corvairs in my sordid past (my first car was a '64 Monza, I would later pick up a '69 500), and after mulling this over a lot, I've decided there will be another one in my future. I joined the Triumph (motorcycle forums) before picking up my Bonneville (safely tucked away in the garage), and found it most helpful. I've always had something to fiddle with (I refurbished five motorcycles in So Cal), and now back home in Michigan, decided a car was in order.

I'm stashing away money as fast as I can, with probably around spring as a target purchase period. I've always loved Corvairs and am looking forward to getting back into one. Like the Triumph forum (and the Ducati forum before that), I enjoy reading about the tech stuff, and well, Corvair reading in general will be most welcome.

Thanks for having me.

-Robert
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: New Guy in Michigan...

Post by Scott H »

:welcome2: Robert.
Michigan from SoCAl? BBRRRRRRR!

I hope you enjoy the site, there are a ton of great people on here.
Good luck on your quest to get another Corvair, you might need to come back to CA to get a rust free one. :rolling:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
CARGOIL

Post by CARGOIL »

Welcome aboard. Sounds like me. I started out wanting another bike but everyone said I was too old, but still crazy enough to hurt myself. So I went out and got a 63 convertible. Only thing is they are still right, I'm crazy enough to hurt myself in this thing too.
rwantin

Post by rwantin »

Thanks! Brrrrr is right (thankfully I'm from here and the adjustment has not been too bad), and yeah, good thing there's shipping. ::-):

I hear you on the bikes. Thought about another one, but one in MI might be enough. Maybe. :nono:
65Ragtop

Post by 65Ragtop »

Well, it was 76 degrees with a crystal clear sky here yesterday......Not rubbin' it in or anything......Really. ::-): Welcome Robert. Former Ducatista here too, Hmmmmmmmmmm a Desmo Corvair!!!! Yo, that would be different!! Keep us posted.
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
Butcher&Vairs

Post by Butcher&Vairs »

:welcome2:
Attachments
fstripe1.JPG
Rafee Corvair, parts and service, in the heartland of the USA
http://www.rafeecorvair.com
tel: 918-753-2486, available 7 days a week, no charge for advice
larrybuck

Post by larrybuck »

Welcome Robert! Talk about weather culture shock! Maybe you can ice race a Vair! I know people can get used to it, but it would be difficult to picture myself wrenching on a car between races while 35 below!!!! Except for maybe 4-6 weeks, max., one can ride motorcyles all yr long in the rain of course here!!
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome aboard Robert.

Good luck on your search.

What is you dream Corvair?

Mine is a 65-69 2 door w/4 speed - 140. Blue with a blue or white interior. But what I end up with will probably be something completely diffferent.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
rwantin

Post by rwantin »

Wow, thanks for the welcome guys, greatly appreciate it.

The weather has been an adjustment of sorts, but after eight season-less years, I'm enjoying it. For now, anyway. ::-):

As far as the dream Corvair goes, I think that remains to be seen. I love the early and later cars, would love a convertible but perhaps too pricey, and it has to be a manual - both my previous 'Vairs were Powerglides, my new daily driver is an automatic, and damnit, I need something with a clutch!

I guess I'll just know it when I see it. Perhaps some of you guys saw that Rampside a week or so ago on Ebay in Ohio, the red/white one. Damn. I LOVED it!

Thanks again.
CARGOIL

Post by CARGOIL »

I love my early but I would like the better handling of the laters. This may be a good time of year to look for a vert. Market is probably pretty slow right now and somebody may need a few bucks. When ever you do make the purchase send us some shots of the car. ::-):

Return to “Introductions”