62 Spyder in boxes

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Deadwolf

62 Spyder in boxes

Post by Deadwolf »

New to the site and new to Corvairs. I just picked up a 62 Monza with the spider option. I also got a 64 parts car that doesn't have a transaxle or engine. Both bodies appear really solid compared to what I'm used to seeing. The 62's engine was supposedly overhauled, but never started. It is in the car, but none of the electric was hooked up and now it has sat for 3 years. I'm sure I am going to have lots of questions as I pull parts out of boxes and try to figure out where they go.

First thing first though is spending the weekend driving back and forth on 5 hour round trips getting the cars home.

Then hooking up the engine and making sure I can get it working without having to overhaul it again.
1963 Impala SS convertible project
1963 Monza Spyder project
1963 Impala coupe Pro Street Project
1964 Monza Parts car
1963 Impala hard top sedan parts car
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 62 Spyder in boxes

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

For help in finding local Corvair support and mechanical assistance, your best bet is to contact (and possibly join) the local CORSA club chapter. They can probably provide the best local information and guidance concerning your Corvair.

Image :link: https://www.corvair.org/index.php/compo ... =9&reset=0

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair interests, and your goals for your Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Some detailed photographs of your Corvair would be great!

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts in Shelburne Falls, MA is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

These wiring diagrams should help you with reconnecting the engine...

CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12968

:welcome: :welcomeparty: :wrench: :chevy:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Deadwolf

Post by Deadwolf »

As for my goals currently with the 62 I would like to get it up and running for cruising next summer. I’m also working on a couple 63 impalas. I’m not a dud mechanically, but I’m not a master mechanic either. I can also do body work, but I complain the whole time even though I find myself happy doing it. I actually work Professionally as an electrical engineer even though I don’t have the degree. The impalas are in my out building that doesn’t have heat, so starting in December to about April I really can’t work out there due to the Michigan winters. The corvair will be in a heated stall attached to the house and unlike the Impala it is small enough that I will actually be able to work on it in the stall. So the Corvair is my winter work summer cruiser while I work on the 63 Impala SS ragtop doing a full frame off restoration over multiple summers.

I’m also interested in doing some racing and figure I won’t kill myself launching at the tree the first time in a spyder corvair. Eventually I plan on going faster, but have not decided on which of my other projects will go that way. I have a 2 door 63 Impala parts car that I could pro street or now I have a 64 corvair Parts car I could pro Street as a mid engine car. That’s all down the road though.

My wife is not a big fan of the old cars being around, but she also knows when I don’t have a constructive outlet like working on cars I get self destructive.

I also like porter beer, bourbon (Makers Mark preference), and scotch, but have found it needs at least 15 years of aging before it gets smooth. I sing karaoke and am an avid weight lifter when I don’t forget my age and try keeping up with the young bucks only to hurt myself.

How’s that for additional info?
1964 Monza Parts car
Deadwolf

Post by Deadwolf »

A couple pictures of the project and boxes of parts.
Attachments
39DD0EC4-531F-4039-BCD2-C8122CB44D4C.jpeg
7E590FAD-762A-488F-9D57-B75FB1F854AF.jpeg
44379EDA-60E9-44F0-8015-1A9FB4BF66C0.jpeg
1964 Monza Parts car

Return to “Introductions”