New member from Lansing, MI

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Greg Harris

Re: New member from Lansing, MI

Post by Greg Harris »

joelsplace wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:00 pm I could see them earlier but can't see them now.
Did you use Insert image or attach file? Here is an attachment test:
Now that I did an attachment I can see you must have used insert image. I've never tried that but I would guess the image url is no longer good.
I did an image insert and did not attach them. I don't know how the URL would have changed but I'll check and if necessary, upload images directly.
Cheers,

Greg

1965 Monza Convertible 4-spd
Zenith STOL CH750 Airplane w/Corvair 110 flight conversion
https://www.youtube.com/c/GregsZenithSTOLCH750
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Security withthe image source may be an obstacle. You may have established the appropriate security credentials to allow you to vie the posted images, but others on the Corvair Forum may be blocked. The procedures below may solve the problem...

If you have any photographs stored on your computer, you can upload them to be viewed on the Corvair Forum by selecting the POST REPLY button, instead of using Quick Reply. The Post Reply button gives you a more-complete Full Editor that has more features. This includes an "Attachments" tab near the bottom of the editor that provides you with an Add files button to upload image files from your PC.

Here is some information that might prove helpful to you later, regarding pasting illustrations, diagrams, etc.

You can manually copy images and pictures from other Corvair Forum posts that were embedded as uploads by right-clicking each image in the source with your right mouse button and selecting Copy image URL or Copy Image Address from the menu choices (this varies with the Web Browser installed on your PC. I am using Google Chrome). Doing so will invisibly copy the image URL address to the computer temporary data buffer called a clipboard. Using the Img button at the top of the editor screen, and the standard PC copy and paste technique will allow you to paste that URL address data from the clipboard into your Corvair Forum text (surrounded by bracketed img markers), which will display as the original picture or image when the post has been saved for display. The illustration below depicts the process.

Click on image to enlarge for better viewing...
Corvair Forum Image Transfer.jpg
NOTE: This same technique will allow you to copy just about any graphic, photo, or other displayed image from any public website, Facebook, or other website that is not secured and is publically viewable by right-clicking the desired image, obtaining the image URL, and then pasting the URL with Img markers into your Corvair Forum text.

I have edited your last post to embed images in it using both methods. Images 1, 3 and 4 in your post are embedded using the picture address (URL) from the web page that hosts the picture. Images 2 and 5 were actually uploaded from my computer hard drive and embedded that way. At the end I copied the URL from the last photo and then embedded the same image using its address from your post. If you edit your own post, you can see the hidden formatting that produces the images.

FOR MORE INFO, SEE...

How to post a picture (and start a new topic)
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=618
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Greg Harris

Post by Greg Harris »

Okay, I removed all the embedded links and uploaded them as attachments. The problems is with Google Photos. The image links are known to not remain static and therefore will occasionally be dead links when things are shuffled around internally on Google's servers. I've not had a problem before, but I moved all the photos to an album (shared above via hyperlink) and that may have also affected things. Let me know if you cannot see them now, please.

P.S. I have a minor in computer science and am well-experienced in online forums. I either had some formatting errors in the original code or the links to the pictures were no longer valid. With Google Photo links, you have to change the end of the file address to contain "?.jpg" to make them but with the non-static way Google houses images in Photos, the links sometimes "expire."

I usually try to embed, rather than upload as an attachment, to save the host forum's storage space.
Last edited by Greg Harris on Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Greg

1965 Monza Convertible 4-spd
Zenith STOL CH750 Airplane w/Corvair 110 flight conversion
https://www.youtube.com/c/GregsZenithSTOLCH750
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:jawdrop:

::-):