63 convertible, first Corvair

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
bkeyes

63 convertible, first Corvair

Post by bkeyes »

Hello, I recently purchased my first corvair. A 63 monza convertible in ember red. Located in akron / canton area of Ohio. I am looking forward to learning about and working on her.
erco

Re: 63 convertible, first Corvair

Post by erco »

Welcome! Love the Goodyear Airdock in Akron, I've visited there. You and I are lucky to see zeppelins flying regularly these days. I live near the Carson CA airship base.

i have a late model (LM). I guess you and your lovely '63 will further tip the preference poll to favor EMs! Sigh... :)
Last edited by erco on Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

Congratulations on your recent acquisition of a 1963 Monza convertible! When i was a teenager in 1970, my first Corvair was a 1962 Corvair Monza coupe. My father already owned a 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible, and in 1970 he added a 1963 Corvair Monza Spyder convertible to the mix. I think you can see where my affection for these cars was born.
Example of a 1963 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900 2 door convertible — Interior: ermine white, Exterior: ember red.
I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your 1963 Monza convertible!

Image :link: https://www.corvair.org/index.php/compo ... =9&reset=0

There are five chapters of the Corvair Society of America (CORSA) in your home state, and one of them appears to be practically in your back yard!

Friends of Corvair North Canton, OH
:link: http://friendsofcorvair.com/
"Friends of Corvair" is just that - a friendly club dedicated to fun, fellowship, and the enjoyment of the Corvair. Our nearly 100 members hail from all over north east and east central Ohio, with the Canton area as a central hub. We do things! Monthly gatherings are hosted by our various members, and can range from a simple dinner meeting to a road trip, picnic, museum tour, or any number of interesting activities. One thing's for sure....all of them include food! All age groups are represented, and families are encouraged to participate. Many of our members travel to regional and national CORSA meets to participate, compete, and show their cars. In Friends of Corvair, people are the focus; our common interest in the Corvair is the vehicle to bring us together. We welcome you as a Friend!
Sample Newsletter:
The Spinner Newsletter - Friends of Corvair - August 2020.pdf
The Spinner Newsletter - Friends of Corvair - August 2020
(728.73 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts in Shelburne Falls, MA is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair interests, and your goals for your 1963 Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience.

:welcome: :welcome2:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Bruins_Fan
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Bruins_Fan »

Welcome to CF and enjoy your new Corvair! I was told my '66 was sold new around Canton, OH.

And post some pics of your '63!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Corvair Forum mobile app

'66 Monza Convertible 110hp Powerglide
bkeyes

Post by bkeyes »

s-l1600 (16).jpg
Well here is a pic of the old girl. It will be a work in progress. My initial goals with the car are to make sure it is solid and road worthy. I would eventually like to see a fresh shiny paint job as well. It will take some time. The car needs trans work so the power train will be coming out. About me: I was a plant manger in a machine shop for 24 years and currently working as a process manager in a packaging plant, I have a love for old 2 stroke motor cycles and old tractors. I have restored numerous bikes and tractors over the years and decided it was finally time to find a car to work on. I have loved corvairs from a distance since I was in the cub scouts...my den leader had one and I just thought it was the coolest car ever! Finally at a place where I could look for one of my own. I have a car lift in my home shop and am pretty good at mechanical repairs, engines and light suspension work. Of course the corvair not following the standards of the "common" car will pose some challenges I'm sure. I look forward to hopefully meeting some of the fellow enthusiasts in my area and communicating with the members of this forum site. Thank you all for the warm welcome!
erco

Post by erco »

What a beauty! Paint looks great from this angle!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

bkeyes wrote:...The car needs trans work so the power train will be coming out...
In addition to the 1961 Corvair Shop Manual and the 1962-1963 Shop Manual supplement, the attached guidebook should help you with the powertrain removal. What is the Powerglide automatic doing that demands its removal?

:chevy: :wrench:
Attachments
Corvair and Corvair 95 Power Train Removal & Installation.pdf
Corvair and Corvair 95 Power Train Removal & Installation
(3.35 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
bkeyes

Post by bkeyes »

There is a major trans fluid leak. PO said the converter was bad. I haven't lifted it up yet to see for certain but it appears to be coming from right in front of the engine in the converter area. While running the fluid is almost a steady stream coming out. Thanks for the information. I will need it!
erco

Post by erco »

With any luck, it may only be a bad large seal on the torque converter. That's a quick & easy fix (except for R&Ring the whole powertrain to get to it).
bkeyes

Post by bkeyes »

I am hoping it is something like that. It will be good to give the power train a once over and good cleaning while it is out.

Return to “Introductions”