Hello

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Connrod

Hello

Post by Connrod »

I'm Scott. I have a 1961 corvair engine and driveline with rear suspension. Building a trike. Where do you guys find brake drums and wheels?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Hello

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: :wave: Welcome, Scott, to the Corvair Forum!

I'm assuming that you may be in need of technical advice and support for the engine, suspension and transaxle. The links below my prove to be helpful.

ImageImage
Brake Parts (Several online catalog pages...)
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=141

Sizing Corvair Wheels and Tires
:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html

And you are using GL-4 gear lube to fill your transaxle, right? NOT GL-5!

In addition to the factory shop manual, this book contains a great deal of performance information about the Corvair. As a teenager I read the earlier version of this book in 1970 and found it to be very valuable and informative. It is a personal favorite.
:link: https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Corv ... +to+hotrod

New (1962-69) and Old (1960-61) Corvair Distributors

To upgrade the distributor, you must get rid of the 1961 distributor, and replace it with an upgrade-able 1962 or later unit, or a brand new Stinger electronic distributor.

ELECTRONIC DISTRIBUTOR UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT OPTIONS
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=15101

If you decide that the revised weight of your trike demands some custom coil springs, this company may be of some help...

Here is another coil spring source that can provide Corvair springs...

I suspect this source could build Corvair springs that would be properly calibrated to produce desired support and body height. They would be familiar with spring design, so that correct materials and other parameters could be chosen to result in a safe design that would produce needed support, fitment, and ride height. Just click on "Request a Quote" and dial in the information about your car, including desired ride height adjustments and lowering...
Antique / Hot Rod Coil Springs

These symbols of yesterday can be found getting a new life for the road in garages all across the world. Although most are being restored to their original condition, many are after a specific look, such as the gasser look of the race track or the slow and low easy rider of Main Street. Whatever your goal, Coil Spring Specialties has the expertise to set your project vehicle at your desired height. And don't over look weight changes. These changes can significantly change the load dynamics and trim height of your vehicle. So if you gain or lose a few pounds due to engine swaps or chassis and body modifications, we can compensate for these changes with a new pair of springs.

Whatever the make or model, from classic collectibles to muscle cars, show-stopping originals to clones, we have supplied auto enthusiasts with coil springs, all 100% calibrated to fulfill their suspension needs.

We build each set of springs to your vehicle's specifications. We will need YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE SIZE, TRANSMISSION TYPE, and A/C to put into account for each car we engineer for, as all these options play into the manufacturing of your springs

:link: http://www.coilsprings.com/classic.aspx

Call (785) 437-2025

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts in Shelburne Falls, MA is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your first post and tell us more about yourself, as well as about your Corvair-powered three-wheeler. If you can provide your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location can also be useful, as that information can sometimes suggest possibilities and options.

Your project may be more traditional in creating a Corvair-powered trike, but here are some Corvair/trike approaches that i remembered from the past...

Image Late Model (1965-1969) based

And here is one that was based on the Early Model (1960-1964) Corvair...
bbodie52 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:45 am

:sad5: :dontknow: I thought I had seen everything in Corvairs -- Dune buggies, airplanes, inboard and outboard boats, V8-powered Corvairs (Front, Mid and Rear). But this is really new! And AMAZING. I have brought a few pictures over to intrigue other Corvair Forum fans. The construction and detail pictures on the Web site show incredible creativity, engineering, and attention to detail. Where does the drive and motivation come from to take on such a complex project and to design such a unique vehicle? :think: I'm looking forward to seeing the final finish, a description by the builder of this project and the initial test ride! Shows? Magazines? Maybe TV? :tu:
:goodpost: :coolphotos:

I hope you will return to the Corvair Forum if you have any Corvair-specific questions that we might help you with. We would love to see some pictures of your project trike!

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Connrod

Post by Connrod »

Thank you
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Welcome. I LOVE corvair trikes!