New Corvair owner

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
gkm09

New Corvair owner

Post by gkm09 »

:coolphotos:
Screenshot_20200708-114106(1).png
Hello everyone I am driving to Cleveland sunday to bring back my 62 4dr. Its a project but I'm not looking for a restoration. I'm good mechanically, welding/body work and i do upholstery professionally. But after reading how carefully people need to consider owning one has me second guessing haha. Not the purchase but the project. I've own many classic cars but never been around corvairs. I've just been reading about and drooling at pics online haha. I finally got the chance to get one so I jumped on it. I like the patina on the paint and trim but i want it mechanically sound and I'm going to completely redo the interior. Which the interior is nothing for me i do that every day but I'm a little concerned if the knowledge i have from working on other cars will translate to this ole girl. Seems like a lot of things a read online is be prepared its gonna be hell if you've never owned one. Please say it aint so haha any advice tips tricks or words of encouragement are appreciated haha
Screenshot_20200708-114111(1).png
Attachments
Screenshot_20200708-114115(1).png
Screenshot-120321(1).png
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: New Corvair owner

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum! I believe that this website is a good place to start for solid Corvair support.

My wife and I started out in 1971 with dating, a marriage in 1972, and a honeymoon in our 1962 Corvair Monza powered by my first engine overhaul project — a transplanted 1963 that I learned to rebuild at age 16 during my high school summer vacation in 1969. So I have a special feeling for 1962 Corvairs! In our 40th anniversary year my wife and I purchased our current 1966 Corsa convertible.

I know you have a lot of expertise in automobile upholstery. I urge you to look through the Clark's Corvair Parts online catalog upholstery section pages and watch the video below to see just how much Cal Clark has invested in reproducing beautifully done Corvair upholstery. Their effort over the decades is truly remarkable, and if you wish to retain the original interior look and to perform a quality interior restoration, I think you may find that the combination of Clark's upholstery materials and your installation expertise should not be overlooked. In addition, Clark's Corvair Parts offers a unique service in supporting Corvair owners throughout the world to make our Corvair hobby possible. Our support as solid customers is critically important to their survival as a business, as we are their only customer.

As you indicated, you have much to learn in working with the unique design of the classic vintage Corvair. I think you will find similarities to the process of an automobile mechanic learning to work on a classic motorcycle, as you discover the air cooled, multi-carburetor aluminum-based engine that is just a little different from working on a more-conventional classic car. i recommend that you take full advantage of the extensive Corvair technical library materials and knowledge base available through websites like the Corvair Forum, CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters, and combine that with your own experience to bring your newly acquired Corvair into the condition you want it to be. Clark's can assist you with investing your time effectively to produce a car you will be proud to own and drive.

ImageImage
:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... _page=261B (45+ PAGES for interior, upholstery, and carpeting!)

Another Clark's video - Making Corvair Upholstery...
...gives you an idea of the work and effort that makes Clark's upholstery quality possible. Imagine not having this service available!

Clark's Corvair Parts - Upholstery Tour

Published on Jan 21, 2013
Tour Clarks Corvair Parts Upholstery shop and see how upholstery, carpeting, door panels, top boots &
gaskets are produced.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts in Shelburne Falls, MA is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

Useful YouTube Corvair "how to" videos from Dave Motohead...

:link: https://www.youtube.com/user/davemotohead1/videos

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your first post and tell us more about yourself, as well as about your Corvair sedan. Some detailed photographs of the car — including the VIN and Body Tags in the driver's door frame and engine compartment — can be very helpful. If you can provide your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Let us know where you live — knowing you location can often suggest possibilities for Corvair-related support that may be helpful to you.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
gkm09

Post by gkm09 »

I appreciate all that info! I will post more pics and info Sunday when I bring it back home. I live in NW pennsylvania close to the Erie area.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Corvairs are easy to work on. There are a few special tools and tricks like anything.
Run 10psi less in the front tires.
Service the rear wheel bearings because they are expensive to replace.
Learn how to balance the carburetors.
Manual transmission and differential share oil. Use GL4 not GL5.
The pitman arm has a rubber bushing in it that you can replace with nylon for much better steering.
Rear toe in makes a big difference in handling.
Sagging transmission and engine mounts change camber a lot.
For the original wheels Maxxis 185/80R13 is your only choice for tires.
Rear shocks are important. Clark's is the only source I know of that has gas shocks designed specifically for the Corvair.
I like KYB Gas-a-just on the front but some people think they are too stiff.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: The Corvair Forum can provide further guidance on these tips, and more! A new battery, new tires, and fresh fluids (engine oil/filter, gasoline, flush and replace the brake fluid, fresh suspension and transaxle lubrication) and clean/service or replace the rear axle universal joints and inspect/service the rear axle bearings (often neglected) and a good engine tune-up may be a good starting point. Of course a thorough mechanical inspection, engine compression test, etc. is essential. You might consider installing a safer dual brake master cylinder upgrade http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=145, and upgrading the distributor with an electronic breakerless ignition system http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ow_page=74 for less routine maintenance and improved engine reliability.
bbodie52 wrote:When working on the Corvair engine, you will need to develop good habits with regard to working with aluminum components. Much of the Corvair engine was manufactured using aluminum, which is a relatively soft and easily damaged material. Bolts that screw into aluminum threads should be carefully threaded by hand to avoid the possibility of cross-threading. The use of anti-seize compound to coat the threads is recommended. A torque wrench should be utilized to properly tighten all fasteners using specifications listed in the Corvair shop manual. This will help you to avoid damaging any threads in the Corvair engine.

ImageImage My 50+ year-old can of Anti Seize Compound.

When working with a dual carburetor engine, try not to be intimidated by two physically separated carburetors. They really function very much like a single two-barrel carburetor, but are physically separated from each other out of necessity due to the layout of the flat air cooled engine with cylinders opposed to each other. The Corvair engine layout is in many ways similar to many motorcycle engine configurations. It usually takes an experienced automobile mechanic a little adjustment time to get used to the way things are done on a motorcycle. The aluminum, air cooled flat six Corvair engine often is seen as a challenge to an automobile mechanic, who is not used to the "strange configuration" found in a Corvair.
Sizing Corvair Wheels and Tires
:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html
Clark's Corvair Parts wrote:The rear axle bearings are probably the most dangerous part of the whole car. It is not uncommon for the axle shaft to pull right out. In some cases the axle shaft just worked out and in others the bearing has failed. The 1965-69 style fixed this but people with the earlier style should not ignore any possible bearing noises! ANY NEW OLD STOCK BEARINGS SHOULD BE REPACKED WITH GREASE AS THE OLD GREASE IS USUALLY HARD. NOTE: The 1960-62 (stamped steel housing) will fit 63-64 (although it is not as snug in the lower a-frame opening). The 1963-64 (cast iron housing) will not fit 1960-62 opening without considerable grinding
If the rear axle universal joints are dry and worn/damaged, they should be replaced with good quality new universal joints that include a Zerk fitting (grease fitting — the patent for the Zerk fitting was granted to Oscar U. Zerk in January 1929) to permit regular lubrication without having to dismantle the axle assembly. New joints and greasing tool are listed on the bottom of page 167.
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=165

ELECTRONIC DISTRIBUTOR UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT OPTIONS
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=15101
gkm09 wrote: » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:15 am

I appreciate all that info! ...I live in NW Pennsylvania close to the Erie area.
Erie, Pennsylvania — home of lake effects Winter snow! :eek:
Image Lake-effect storm buries Erie, Pennsylvania in 5 feet of snow
ImageImage

Before we moved to western North Carolina to assist my aging father, I lived in Lebanon, Pennsylvania from 1993 through 2008... so I remember the Pennsylvania winters. I admire your stamina. Do you have a heated place to work on your Corvair so that you can spend those snowy winters attending to its needs?

Image Unfortunately, these appear to be the closest club chapters...
Western Pennsylvania Corvair Club (118 Miles) Aliquippa, PA http://www.corvair.org/chapters/wpcc

Niagara Frontier Corvair Club (124 Miles) Gasport, NY https://www.facebook.com/groups/653154108162085

Friends of Corvair (141 Miles) North Canton, OH http://friendsofcorvair.com

Brad Bodie
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Geeze Brad I thought I might be the only one that has a tin can of anti-seize like that. Mine is identical to yours but a little grubbier and not bent:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: :tu: :rolling:

The trouble is — at age 67 I think I am starting to look as worn and grubby as my aging can of anti-seize compound! :doh:

My father's name was Warren... I'm just Worn... :oldtimer:

My can is probably bent 'cause I traveled more while serving 24 years in the Air Force. :camptrailer: :USA:
Brad Bodie
gkm09

Post by gkm09 »

This is all awesome guys! I do not have a heated place yet, next spring comes the shop at the new house. Until then I'll just have to tough it out as usual, overalls and carhartt jacket. I must admit i find the clarks website a bit cumbersome to navigate. Maybe because its new to me but its hard to browse around on it.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The Clark's search engine is a bit cumbersome and sometimes misses things... as in the content of new supplements. Searching must be done using one key word :think: :pray: :dontknow: plus some browsing of the results. The pages were revised some recently, but it is still an awkward site to navigate around — but essential and an acquired taste for the Corvair enthusiast and aficionado. Some prefer the hard copy of the catalog and probably even sleep with it under their pillow.

If you think the catalog is cumbersome, try owning one or more Corvairs when you don't live in the USA! Those in South Africa, Europe, Japan, South America, Australia, etc. all struggle with excessive costs and shipping delays as the shipping charges and local government fees and taxes pile up and drain their Corvair budgets!!
:eek: :omgosh: :banghead: :puke:

:Love it:
Brad Bodie
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

bbodie52 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:37 pm :goodpost: :tu: :rolling:

The trouble is — at age 67 I think I am starting to look as worn and grubby as my aging can of anti-seize compound! :doh:

My father's name was Warren... I'm just Worn... :oldtimer:

My can is probably bent 'cause I traveled more while serving 24 years in the Air Force. :camptrailer: :USA:
My can came from my dad's stash when he passed in 2011. I know it has been around for a very long time. Maybe as long as I have been fooling with cars:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Mine is a quart size from the 80s. Lid is bent and it never had a brush that I can remember. I think it is about 2/3 full but it was used when I got it.

I also forgot that you need to clean the oil cooler. There is an access panel below the generator. You may also need to clean under the fan shroud but that is a lot of work. If you do have the fan shroud off you'll want to de-flash the heads for proper cooling.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I guess that you can tell when someone really has Corvairs in their blood — as when we start bragging on the condition and age of our sometimes multi-generational and inherited can of anti-seize compound, or perhaps some of the specialized Corvair-focused tools in our toolbox, perhaps like a Uni-syn for synchronizing those carburetors, or a stash of GL-4 gear lube on the shelf.
Image :confused:
bbodie52 wrote: » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:05 pm

Love those Corvair-related family portraits. Always a winner in my opinion!

:clap: :not worthy: Love those family stories about growing up Corvair, too...
65corvaircopnj wrote:...I learned how to drive in a '69 500 that my Dad had bought for my brother and I to beat around in. Soon after digging into the 69 to repaint we found a nice '66 Monza with factory air that we could not pass up. That one was my baby and daily driver all through High School. Everyone always joked about it having 'no engine' but it got more attention at prom than the limos. My Father still has his '63 Spyder convertible that he is the one and only original owner of. He just got it back on the road after a 20 year-long rotisserie resto and it looks great.

My car is was found sitting lonely on a Midas lot in Coatesville, PA. The owner bought it for his wife and had it shipped from CA just after that owner put on a new top and paint. It was not going to bump the '70 vette from the garage. I dropped the engine and replaced the leaky 3-spd with a '66 rear and 4-sp Saginaw. I redid the entire interior myself with Clarks upholstery and door panels, new carpet, entire brake system/lines, shocks, tires, and weather stripping. Repainted and put in a Corsa dash, new wiring front to back, and modified the high beams to house the modern mini-halogen bulbs and still look stock. Has the Clark's ultimate exhaust (which is going for stock duals soon) and is basically a stock mish mash of a '65 with '66 drivetrain. Works great and still gets lots of attention around town. Hoping to see some shows this summer in Ocean City and locally. Thanks for looking!
New Jersey - Father and Son

South Africa - Father and Son

Canada - Three Generations

Bolivia, South America - Three Generations (Including the Photographer)

Added Jamie Reinhart's picture to this group...
My car and my Dad's car after today's Cruise to Cresco car show. My car won best convertible, his won best antique.

All of this attitude and affection for Corvair family portraits probably stems from my own history with my father and family Corvairs...
California - Father and Son (1965)
Or recently added...
erco wrote: » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:10 pm

My twin girls are 10, and not much into "Dad's Timesink" right now. But that's prolly because it's not rolling yet. 2 months away likely. But every now and then one comes out to help, so I'm hopeful.
ImageImage
Brad Bodie
gkm09

Post by gkm09 »

I'm hoping my boy will catch the bug, just cars in general lol he's only 2 so we will see.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Corvair Forum mobile app

gkm09

Post by gkm09 »

Few more photos
IMG_1974.jpeg
IMG_1964.jpeg
IMG_1964.jpeg (43.71 KiB) Viewed 117 times
IMG_1960.jpeg
IMG_1960.jpeg (18.96 KiB) Viewed 117 times
IMG_1957.jpeg
IMG_1957.jpeg (19.19 KiB) Viewed 117 times