New to Corvair forum!

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
NME768

New to Corvair forum!

Post by NME768 »

:wave:
I have been going to the forum for troubleshooting and reading people’s stories but now I figured it is about time to join the fun.

I guess I should introduce myself and my car. I am a mechanical engineer. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. My car is a 1962 Corvair Monza, 4dr, PG. I acquired it in 2017 and have been trying to get it running ever since. I have always liked unique cars. Prior to this car I had a 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser and before that a 1995 Nissan Skyline GTST both of which I had transported from japan. After I sold them (I do regret selling the skyline), I wanted to get an older project car. I originally wanted to find a 1967-68 mercury cougar. I was looking and didn’t find any in reasonable condition aside from going to the states to acquire one. Then one day “my Corvair” came up and at first I was like “WTH is That!?!” I decided to go take a look. First off, I was surprised at how much it was selling for; it was really low! Secondly, the engine looked ....odd. I was like “where is it?” And “why is the belt all weird?” After that I was hooked on the uniqueness and charm of the car. After much research for parts and history of the car, I gained more and more appreciation for the car and it’s community. It sure does help that parts are not the hard to come by. Especially, when I was ordering parts for my skyline from japan and Australia.

Currently, the car is running with a new rebuild. I have changed the motor from a 84 to a 110. Changed a lot of parts such as: new brakes(everything changed except drums and lines), rear bearings, tranny mounts, carbs rebuilt, ujoints, seatbelts, lights, stereo system(not intending to use original), Engine shroud seals, PG valve body, Petronix ignition and that is all I can think of so far. Everything is basically done except some issues with the PG. I am pretty excited to get it finally on the road. I really want to drive it.

Anyways, I think I wrote enough. some photos of the car.

Later,
Frank
Attachments
First day car arrived
First day car arrived
Interior
Interior
9F62A748-D3EC-4AC5-A192-4DE74714EC01.jpeg (40.35 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Rebuilt motor and ready to go in.
Rebuilt motor and ready to go in.
Regards,
Frank from Calgary, AB

1962 Corvair Monza, 4dr, 110hp (originally 82hp)
joelsplace

Re: New to Corvair forum!

Post by joelsplace »

Nice
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
erco

Post by erco »

Excellent vehicle and introduction. Welcome Frank! I'm new here myself and looking fwd to swapping info & stories with everyone.
tomk1960

Post by tomk1960 »

Welcome to the forum, Frank, and thanks for the nice introduction. You have already done a lot to your car, so you must be very pleased. Your car looks awesome!

Tom
"We are the people our parents warned us about."
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Very nice! Welcome!
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Welcome! The car and engine package look great!

I had to chuckle about when mechanical-engineer-sees-corvair-fan-belt-for-first-time. You'll probably appreciate the uniqueness and challenge of the 'vairs.
NME768

Post by NME768 »

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome.
flat6_musik wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:03 am Welcome! The car and engine package look great!

I had to chuckle about when mechanical-engineer-sees-corvair-fan-belt-for-first-time. You'll probably appreciate the uniqueness and challenge of the 'vairs.
Haha, you got that right! It does work though. I like seeing things that push the bounds of innovation. :tu:
Regards,
Frank from Calgary, AB

NME768

Post by NME768 »

More photos: (I just realized I dont have many of the car currently. Will have to post later)
Attachments
engine installed
engine installed
New brakes
New brakes
3D Printed new TV bushings with PETG. Didn't want to order some which would take a while.
3D Printed new TV bushings with PETG. Didn't want to order some which would take a while.
Welded nut to remove rusted bolts attaching wheel cylinders. Very effective way to remove stubborn bolts.
Welded nut to remove rusted bolts attaching wheel cylinders. Very effective way to remove stubborn bolts.
original engine bay
original engine bay
original rear brakes and axle. Bearings were badly worn.
original rear brakes and axle. Bearings were badly worn.
view of rear
view of rear
view of trunk
view of trunk
IMG_5800.JPG (66 KiB) Viewed 272 times
Regards,
Frank from Calgary, AB

JackBurton

Post by JackBurton »

Nice - welcome.
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

Looks good, welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum! I noticed a few PCV system configuration issues on your Corvair, and wanted to provide some background info and suggestions for configuring your engine crankcase ventilation system...

The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system was designed by engineers to deal with crankcase ventilation requirements in a wide range of engine operating conditions — full throttle, closed throttle, partial throttle, high RPM, low RPM, and everything in-between. The baffle plate and vents, the PCV tube, the PCV valve or fixed vacuum orifice that is connected to the engine intake, and the PCV breather connected to the air cleaner, are all part of a dynamic system design that is intended to function continuously during all engine operating conditions.

1962 and earlier Corvair engines did not have a PCV system. Like most earlier engines, they were fitted instead with a simple road draft tube.

When road draft tubes were used, they were simple unfiltered tubes that routed from the Corvair crankcase cover directly downward, where they vented through a hole in the sheet metal cover under the right side of the engine, adjacent to the oil pan. There was never a tee on it that connected via an orifice to manifold vacuum at that time. The first stage of Positive Crankcase Ventilation that appeared around 1963 utilized an appropriately-sized vent restriction (PCV valve design AC-CV584) that limited the amount of crankcase fumes and air that could be drawn into the vacuum balance tube that connected at the base of the carburetors to the intake manifold. This was essentially a "vacuum leak" that was engineered into the system to draw some of the crankcase fumes into the intake manifolds to be burned as they passed through the combustion chambers and ultimately out through the engine exhaust system.

Part of the main vent tube is ALSO CONNECTED TO THE AIR CLEANER. This allows those excess crankcase pressures that cannot be completely drawn through the PCV valve and into the intake manifold to be managed by instead having them drawn through the air cleaner assembly and into the carburetor intake throats. The secondary vent path into the air cleaner assembly allows for excess crankcase pressures that routinely occur at higher engine speeds and that would also routinely overwhelm the limitations of the PCV valve vent path. (This necessary connection also allows air that is filtered by the air cleaner air filter to access the engine crankcase, providing a balancing effect for the crankcase so that crankcase vacuum and pressure can be maintained at approximately normal atmospheric pressure). Without the connection to the air cleaner assembly, the sealed crankcase has no way to "breathe", because half of the normal PCV system design would have been omitted.

The fixed orifice only became a part of the PCV system in 1964-1969. The use of a fixed orifice was not a part of the 1964 system in Forward Control (FC) vehicles and in air conditioned cars, because of clearance limitations in the van and truck engine compartments and in cars equipped with air conditioning. Those vehicles retained the earlier design of the air cleaner assembly with its associated PCV valve design (AC-CV584).

All PCV systems have connection between the main vent tube and the air cleaner, which is necessary for proper crankcase ventilation. With the use of custom individual air cleaners, you can replicate the portion of the PCV system that is missing by installing a connection to the right air cleaner. The custom air cleaner can be modified to provide a hose connection at its base.

Crankcase ventilation systems are designed to control the balance of air pressure between the engine crankcase and atmospheric pressure while processing the accompanying fumes. The overall volume of blow-by varies due to cylinder pressure, piston ring pressure and component wear.

Venting the emissions to the atmosphere is a simple solution to release the pressure and trapped fumes. This was done on Corvair engines from 1960 - 1962, using a Road Draft Tube. With the road draft tube, the open end faces down and is located in the vehicle's slipstream. When the vehicle is moving, airflow across the open end of the tube creates a draft that pulls gases out of the crankcase. It does not function when the vehicle is moving too slowly to create a draft. Systems using the road draft tube had a tendency to have increased contamination build up in the crankcase because of the relatively poor, inconsistent operation of the road draft tube system. Frequent oil changes were needed to reduce contamination build up in the crankcase and valve train areas, called ENGINE SLUDGE. Sludge is a gel-like fluid that can seriously damage your engine. Thousands of vehicles using this system also contaminated the atmosphere, causing increased problems with SMOG contamination.

Sludge Contamination

From 1963-1969, Corvair crankcase fumes were managed by an ingestive system, which vents the blow-by back into the engine, where it returns to the combustion process. The ingestive crankcase ventilation system routes any crankcase emissions into the intake air stream, where it is re-burned in the combustion process. This system is known as Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV). Fumes are drawn back through the intake system into the combustion chambers via two paths. One path is via a PCV valve or a fixed metered orifice into the vacuum balance tube and then directly into the intake manifolds. At some engine speeds and throttle position settings the engine vacuum is low, so a secondary path is needed that vents the fumes into the intake system via the air cleaner housing and then through the carburetor intake, instead of a direct path to the intake manifold.

ImageImage

Your 1964 Corvair Engine with PCV Valve
Your 1964 Corvair Engine with PCV Valve
The vacuum balance tube on your engine appears to be from a 1962 or earlier Corvair, since it does not have a vacuum connection for a PCV system using either a 1963 PCV Valve or a PCV vent tube from a 1964-1969 164 CI (95hp/110 hp) engine. You might b able to obtain the correct 1963 or 1964-1969 95/110 hp vacuum balance tube from a source like the Corvair Ranch. The PCV Valve is not normally fitted to the 1964-1969 95hp or 110 hp engine. The correct crankcase breather tube should have a fixed orifice to connect to the vacuum balance tube. The large end of the tube should connect to the filtered side of the air cleaner.

With your current crankcase breather tube, the small (currently plugged) port must be connected to the filtered portion of the air cleaner. In either case, the vacuum balance tube will need to be changed or modified to match an engine with a PCV system. Without a PCV connection, it is only a match for a 1962 or earlier engine with a road draft tube.

You might contact the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg Pennsylvania. They know a lot about parts substitutions, have a large inventory of used Corvair parts and may be able to help you. Recommend you give them a call to discuss your needs...

:link: http://www.corvairranch.com/

1079 Bon-Ox Road, ​Gettysburg, ​PA. 17325 USA
​Phone: 717-624-2805

fax us by the same number... ask us to hook up the machine

Email: findit@theranch.today

Our hours are Monday thru Friday 9 to 5, Saturday 9 to 12 or contact us for an appointment.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA club chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
NME768

Post by NME768 »

bbodie52 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:48 am :wave: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum! I noticed a few PCV system configuration issues on your Corvair, and wanted to provide some background info and suggestions for configuring your engine crankcase ventilation system...

The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system was designed by engineers to deal with crankcase ventilation requirements in a wide range of engine operating conditions — full throttle, closed throttle, partial throttle, high RPM, low RPM, and everything in-between. The baffle plate and vents, the PCV tube, the PCV valve or fixed vacuum orifice that is connected to the engine intake, and the PCV breather connected to the air cleaner, are all part of a dynamic system design that is intended to function continuously during all engine operating conditions.

1962 and earlier Corvair engines did not have a PCV system. Like most earlier engines, they were fitted instead with a simple road draft tube.

When road draft tubes were used, they were simple unfiltered tubes that routed from the Corvair crankcase cover directly downward, where they vented through a hole in the sheet metal cover under the right side of the engine, adjacent to the oil pan. There was never a tee on it that connected via an orifice to manifold vacuum at that time. The first stage of Positive Crankcase Ventilation that appeared around 1963 utilized an appropriately-sized vent restriction (PCV valve design AC-CV584) that limited the amount of crankcase fumes and air that could be drawn into the vacuum balance tube that connected at the base of the carburetors to the intake manifold. This was essentially a "vacuum leak" that was engineered into the system to draw some of the crankcase fumes into the intake manifolds to be burned as they passed through the combustion chambers and ultimately out through the engine exhaust system.

Part of the main vent tube is ALSO CONNECTED TO THE AIR CLEANER. This allows those excess crankcase pressures that cannot be completely drawn through the PCV valve and into the intake manifold to be managed by instead having them drawn through the air cleaner assembly and into the carburetor intake throats. The secondary vent path into the air cleaner assembly allows for excess crankcase pressures that routinely occur at higher engine speeds and that would also routinely overwhelm the limitations of the PCV valve vent path. (This necessary connection also allows air that is filtered by the air cleaner air filter to access the engine crankcase, providing a balancing effect for the crankcase so that crankcase vacuum and pressure can be maintained at approximately normal atmospheric pressure). Without the connection to the air cleaner assembly, the sealed crankcase has no way to "breathe", because half of the normal PCV system design would have been omitted.

The fixed orifice only became a part of the PCV system in 1964-1969. The use of a fixed orifice was not a part of the 1964 system in Forward Control (FC) vehicles and in air conditioned cars, because of clearance limitations in the van and truck engine compartments and in cars equipped with air conditioning. Those vehicles retained the earlier design of the air cleaner assembly with its associated PCV valve design (AC-CV584).

All PCV systems have connection between the main vent tube and the air cleaner, which is necessary for proper crankcase ventilation. With the use of custom individual air cleaners, you can replicate the portion of the PCV system that is missing by installing a connection to the right air cleaner. The custom air cleaner can be modified to provide a hose connection at its base.

Crankcase ventilation systems are designed to control the balance of air pressure between the engine crankcase and atmospheric pressure while processing the accompanying fumes. The overall volume of blow-by varies due to cylinder pressure, piston ring pressure and component wear.

Venting the emissions to the atmosphere is a simple solution to release the pressure and trapped fumes. This was done on Corvair engines from 1960 - 1962, using a Road Draft Tube. With the road draft tube, the open end faces down and is located in the vehicle's slipstream. When the vehicle is moving, airflow across the open end of the tube creates a draft that pulls gases out of the crankcase. It does not function when the vehicle is moving too slowly to create a draft. Systems using the road draft tube had a tendency to have increased contamination build up in the crankcase because of the relatively poor, inconsistent operation of the road draft tube system. Frequent oil changes were needed to reduce contamination build up in the crankcase and valve train areas, called ENGINE SLUDGE. Sludge is a gel-like fluid that can seriously damage your engine. Thousands of vehicles using this system also contaminated the atmosphere, causing increased problems with SMOG contamination.

Sludge Contamination

From 1963-1969, Corvair crankcase fumes were managed by an ingestive system, which vents the blow-by back into the engine, where it returns to the combustion process. The ingestive crankcase ventilation system routes any crankcase emissions into the intake air stream, where it is re-burned in the combustion process. This system is known as Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV). Fumes are drawn back through the intake system into the combustion chambers via two paths. One path is via a PCV valve or a fixed metered orifice into the vacuum balance tube and then directly into the intake manifolds. At some engine speeds and throttle position settings the engine vacuum is low, so a secondary path is needed that vents the fumes into the intake system via the air cleaner housing and then through the carburetor intake, instead of a direct path to the intake manifold.

ImageImage

1964 Corvair Engine with PCV Valve.jpg

The vacuum balance tube on your engine appears to be from a 1962 or earlier Corvair, since it does not have a vacuum connection for a PCV system using either a 1963 PCV Valve or a PCV vent tube from a 1964-1969 164 CI (95hp/110 hp) engine. You might b able to obtain the correct 1963 or 1964-1969 95/110 hp vacuum balance tube from a source like the Corvair Ranch. The PCV Valve is not normally fitted to the 1964-1969 95hp or 110 hp engine. The correct crankcase breather tube should have a fixed orifice to connect to the vacuum balance tube. The large end of the tube should connect to the filtered side of the air cleaner.

With your current crankcase breather tube, the small (currently plugged) port must be connected to the filtered portion of the air cleaner. In either case, the vacuum balance tube will need to be changed or modified to match an engine with a PCV system. Without a PCV connection, it is only a match for a 1962 or earlier engine with a road draft tube.

You might contact the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg Pennsylvania. They know a lot about parts substitutions, have a large inventory of used Corvair parts and may be able to help you. Recommend you give them a call to discuss your needs...

:link: http://www.corvairranch.com/

1079 Bon-Ox Road, ​Gettysburg, ​PA. 17325 USA
​Phone: 717-624-2805

fax us by the same number... ask us to hook up the machine

Email: findit@theranch.today

Our hours are Monday thru Friday 9 to 5, Saturday 9 to 12 or contact us for an appointment.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA club chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:welcome:
Hello Brad,
Thanks for the info, the explanation was very clear and the images of the different systems are helpful. The PCV system is something in my to do list. My intention was to somehow connect the smaller vent tube to the air cleaner and the larger end to the balance tube somehow like your image shows. I did take off the PCV for now and have it open to atmosphere since it was creating a blockage situation where oil was coming through the oil dipstick. Like you said it was building pressure in the crankcase and there was no where for it to go. Also, as for the 1962 vent hole on the shroud, I sealed it off to prevent hot air from escaping. I like the idea of having the gases reburned.

But like anything on this car I ran into an issue with the powerglide and that took priority. I really want to drive this car and I keep finding stuff. Besides the PCV system and PG there is now the rear doorlocks, one of the reverse lights don't work and there are a couple fuses blown. I am not just new to corvair but i am also new to vintage vehicles. The oldest car I worked on before this was 1986. I am used to most things working.

Anyways, thanks again for your advice and wisdom.
Regards,
Frank from Calgary, AB

Bruins_Fan
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Bruins_Fan »

Welcome to the Forum!
'66 Monza Convertible 110hp Powerglide
NME768

Post by NME768 »

I am glad to be a part of this forum. Thank you all for warm welcomes.
Regards,
Frank from Calgary, AB

Return to “Introductions”