New to Forum. About to be ... New to Corvair

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
QLDTransplant

New to Forum. About to be ... New to Corvair

Post by QLDTransplant »

Hi all, I’m new to the forum, recently retired, and shopping for 2 Corvairs. A Spyder or Corsa convertible for sunny Summer days, and a Rampside for hauling beehives and other retiree “stuff”. Can anyone let me know which particular areas in the Rampside that are most prone to rust? Any other cautions in shopping for a Rampside?
joelsplace

Re: New to Forum. About to be ... New to Corvair

Post by joelsplace »

Rampsides are odd with rust. If I were to pick some areas probably the bottom of the ramp and tailgate but i have one with very little rust except around the tailgate. It seems pretty random except under the battery is almost always rusted out. I looked at one a few weeks ago that had almost no rust except it was rusted through the floorboard.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

On Rampsides and Loadsides the bottom of the 1/4 panels and the L side panel are common rust areas as well. Also the little triangle panels near the rear of the cab and the front wheel arches and sills are sometimes rusty. Bottom front of the doors and roof drip rails also can harbor rust as well as the bottom of the front fenders and of course the bed floor and can floor pans. So look everywhere the same as any 50+ year old vehicle😊
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
QLDTransplant

Post by QLDTransplant »

Belated thankd. I will be looking at a Rampside this weekend. Its freshly painted snd psnels look straight. I’ll look at the areas you suggest. Thanks,
QLDTransplant

Post by QLDTransplant »

Thnks.. belatedly. Heading out to look at a 64 rampside this weekend. Freshly painted and looks straight. I want to see if its bondoed up. Will look where you suggest. Thanks
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum! I have included a series of Corvair-related body restoration videos that — although not Rampside specific, the work is similar and informative. Perhaps some of these videos will help to inform and inspire you... or scare you away!

Corvair Cancer Cure Episode 1, Rust Repair

Corvair Cancer Cure Episode 2, More Rust!
1964 Corvair FloorPan Restoration... kinda....

1962 Chevrolet Corvair Rampside Restoration Project

Although this thread looks at a Corvair Lakewood station wagon revival, it is instructive and informative concerning the kind of work you may have to get into to restore any serious rust or body rot. You may find the series of videos fascinating.

The Corvair Classic Camp Wagon - 1961 Corvair Lakewood Revival
:link: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=15232&p=105777#p105777

Restored Rampsides and Greenbrier/Corvair 95 Vans appear to be some of the most-expensive Corvairs on the market. Many of these utility-type vehicles were worked hard and simply scrapped when they wore out or rusted away from road salt damage. They were often worked to death!
Because of this it appears that restorable Corvair FC utility vehicles are becoming somewhat rare and certainly challenging when searching for replacement sheet metal, glass, etc.

:link: http://www.corvair.org/chapters/corvanatics/index.php

ImageImageImage

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts in Shelburne Falls, MA is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair interests, and your goals for your Corvairs. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Detailed pictures of your Corvair — including the engine compartment — would possibly be useful. Knowing your location may also suggest possibilities in supporting your Corvair interests.

:welcome: :welcome2:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Introductions”