New guy alert - 65 Corsa Turbo

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
drewvair

New guy alert - 65 Corsa Turbo

Post by drewvair »

Hello All,

I always thought Corvairs were cool looking cars. I was first exposed to them when a buddy in high school had one. Kinda funky, kinda cool, kinda odd. Kind of sums me up as well. :tongue:

I've been a Datsun guy for close to 30 years, but decided in the last couple of years that I needed something bigger so my family could enjoy cars with me. I started looking for a 60's American "compact" car. In all honesty, 63.5 Falcon hardtops where at the top of the list, but I was also considering Novas, Corvairs, Barracudas and anything else in between. My Dad has a 64 Impala SS that he's had since buying it for my older brothers back in the mid 80s. One of my brothers has a 61 Buick LeSabre bubbletop.

I've been searching in earnest for a little over a year, after selling my Datsun 510. Went to the Mecum auction this past weekend in Portland and had a few cars in mind, including a 65 Corvair Corsa in "resale red". When it came up on the block, I had already passed on several other cars, mostly because they went higher than I anticipated. A buddy of mine was also at the auction who buys and sells cars regularly. I followed the car up on stage and it sounded great - in fact, my buddy ran up and told me the same. Trigger auction fever.

I won the auction, paid for it, and started the journey home. My dad and uncle had joined me at the show, so they followed "just in case". I noticed right off the bat that something was amiss. It felt under powered. I had driven a 140 a couple months ago so I had a reference point. It wouldn't accelerate past 3500 rpms. Figured maybe it was just cold. Stopped at a gas station right outside the venue and put $20 of super in. Got about 2 miles away and the Cyl Temp light started flashing (even though the gauge read about 300) so I immediately pulled over. The car was HOT and burnt oil smoke was coming out the top of the engine. As you could imagine, I was livid. I immediately called AAA for a tow and let the car (and myself) cool down for a bit.

Once we both cooled down, we started poking around to see if there was anything obvious going on. Well, we found the distributor was very loose but had no idea where it should be, so we waited for the tow truck (almost 2 hours!) and brought it home. After a brief conversation with the owner (found his number on some paperwork in the car and he admitted he must have forgotten to tighten the distributor), he told me the timing should be 24 degrees at 850rpm. It is 8:30PM at this point and I rush out to the FLAPS and get a timing light and try to time the car. Unfortunately, not being familiar with Corvairs, we struggled to get the timing correct - at least what we assumed would be correct. I'll be researching that more in the immediate future. I also discovered gas leaking from the bowl of the carburetor after a brief drive and was then able to replicate it by pushing the throttle a couple times. Oil is leaking from somewhere because after a short drive burnt oil smoke comes up through the fan. I just need to get the pans off to see. I had pulled off the pan under the right exhaust manifold because I could see/feel oil on the inside bottom. There didn't seem to be any obvious signs of a leak, so I will have to investigate more.

So, I am now in research mode to see what I need to be looking for, how to set the timing, etc. and contacted the local CORSA group to get acquainted with them.

Summary of known issues:
- Timing is WAY off
- Oil leak
- Fuel leak
- Electrical - backup lights come on and off randomly when driving.

Looks like I will be learning A LOT about Corvairs in the very near future.
1965 Corsa Turbo
Portland, OR
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: New guy alert - 65 Corsa Turbo

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

ImageWhat — NO PICTURES????Image Please post some pictures of your newly acquired Corsa! Include pictures of the interior, engine compartment, etc. If you will include close-up pictures of the Body Tag and VIN Tag (both in the engine compartment, riveted to the perimeter frame near the battery and the distributor) I will decode them for you to provide more information on your car's origin.

Image VIN Tag
Image Body Tag Sample

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your first post and tell us more about yourself, as well as about your Corvair. Your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities helps a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you, your Corvair, and your plans for your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA club chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:chevy: The Corvairs are vintage 1960s technology and design — easy to learn and easy to maintain. I would say that learning to work on a Corvair is analogous to an experienced home DIY "shade tree" car mechanic learning to work on a motorcycle. The concepts and procedures are very similar, but the details and the way it is put together is a little different. With the Corvair engine (like a motorcycle) you are dealing with a lot of aluminum. The metal is soft when compared to steel and cast iron, so the use of a torque wrench, anti-seize compound and carefully avoiding cross-threading becomes more important. Also, (like some motorcycles) you are dealing with multiple carburetors so tuning procedures are a little different. The use of Corvair shop manuals and supplements, other technical guides, and information sources like the Corvair Forum, and perhaps joining a CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapter can help you to quickly learn about Corvairs. Information resources, like good Corvair parts suppliers, are plentiful if you know where to look. Suppliers like Clark's Corvair Parts have been well-respected and extremely supportive since 1973, and suppliers like that make Corvair ownership more practical and much-more possible.

The turbocharged Corvair is probably the most-difficult to master for the DIY shade-tree mechanic. And local professional auto mechanics generally won't have a clue about the vintage turbocharger technology, the ancient Carter YH carburetor, the very unsophisticated ignition and fuel system controls, etc. The days of electronic engine sensors, computer-controlled electronic fuel injection and ignition system control, etc. weren't even on the horizon in the 1960s. Proper tuning and maintenance, knowledgeable driving habits, Premium fuel, etc. will help you to keep your vintange turbo engine together and performing well.
The Carter YH carburetor has a well-known problem with fuel control... often due to excessive fuel pressure. If your fuel pump pressure is high you might consider adding a fuel pressure regulator between the pump outlet and the carburetor inlet, like the one from Holley shown below...

Holley manufactures quite a few fuel pressure regulators, but most have a range of 4.5 - 9 psi or higher, or are designed for a fuel injection system. This unit has the correct range and apparently a good reputation...

CHROME CARBURETED FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR
Street/Strip Carbureted Applications
Two Port
Adjustable from 1 to 4 PSI

PART# 12-804

Holley fuel pressure regulators are designed to precisely control the fuel pressure from the fuel pump to the carburetor. Too much fuel pressure for a given needle and seat assembly can overload the needle and seat and may cause flooding or drivability problems. Each Holley fuel pressure regulator is fully adjustable so regulating the fuel pressure to your engines needs is a simple task. All Holley regulators are pre-set at the factory at 2.8 PSI so there is no guesswork when first installing the regulator. The Holley 12-804 fuel pressure regulator features 3/8" NPT in/out ports.
Features:
  • Adjustable fuel regulation from 1 to 4 psi
  • .220" (7/32") restriction
  • 3/8" NPT ports ( 1 in, 2 out)
  • Chrome finish
  • Mounting bracket included
  • Pre-set at 2.8 PSI
:link: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... rts/12-804

Listed on Amazon.com
:link: https://www.amazon.com/Holley-12-804-Fu ... +regulator

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: :link: https://www.amazon.com/Identify-Rebuild ... s=bob+helt

This might also help with a more-reliable fuel control in the Carter YH...

Clark's Corvair Parts offers a replacement for the needle and seat that makes use of a ball in an all-metal assembly. It has many advantages over the standard needle and seat found in carburetor rebuild kits, as shown below...

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ow_page=58

Part number C3799: METAL FUEL INLET VALVE-60-69 FITS CARS & TURBOS

Weight: 0 lbs 2 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 48(10),55(12),58
Price:
1 - 3 $ 9.00
4+ $ 8.10

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
drewvair

Post by drewvair »

Wow, thanks for all the info, Brad. Very helpful. As for posting images, is there a minimum number of posts you have to make before posting attachments or do images have to be linked via URL. As I type that, I realize I could use my Google Drive if attachments are not allowed.

EDIT: Figured it out. :-)
Last edited by drewvair on Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Corsa Turbo
Portland, OR
drewvair

Post by drewvair »

Okay, here we go with some pics and my attempt to decode the VIN and body tags. Let me know how I did.
frt_3qtr.jpg
VIN.jpg
body_tag_1.jpg
body_tag_2.jpg
engine number.jpg
VIN
1 – Chevrolet
07 – Corsa
37 – Coupe
5 – 1965
W – Willow Run
116457 – Vehicle Number

Body Tag
09C – Build date – third week of September
65-10737 – 65 Corsa Coupe
WRN – Assembly plant Willow Run
333 – Body number
713 – Interior color black
C-C – Paint color Ermine White

Group 1 – W - A02, Tinted Glass—Windshield Only
Group 2 – L - M20 - 4 Speed Manual Transmission
Group 3 - B70 - Padded Dash
Group 4 – PO – P - Z01 - Comfort and Convenience Group Type "A", O - L87 180 HP turbocharged engine (Corsas only)
Group 5 – W - A49 - Custom Deluxe Front Seat Belts with Retractors

Engine Number
T - Towanda
0915 - September 15th
RL - Turbo
Last edited by drewvair on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1965 Corsa Turbo
Portland, OR
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

Nice looking car! Where are you located?
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
drewvair

Post by drewvair »

Thanks Nate - I am in Portland. (just edited my sig ;-P)
1965 Corsa Turbo
Portland, OR
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

Aha, well we would love to see you and your car at the next club meeting if she's roadworthy. And if not, come say hi anyways! CORSA Oregon meets the first Wednesday of every month at the Oregon stamp society building on NE 33rd at 7 o'clock. We've got some very knowledgeable fellows in the group that should have no problem getting you up and running well.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
drewvair

Post by drewvair »

That would mean the next meeting is on July 3rd, right? I am supposed to be heading out of town that day, but really want to go to the meeting. We'll see where I get with the car this week. If I can get it running well enough to drive, I will absolutely be there because I would love input from you guys on the car.
1965 Corsa Turbo
Portland, OR
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

Yeah, July 3. Might be low attendance because of the 4th but I'll be there. If not July, then perhaps August. The September meeting is held at Beaches cruise in at PIR every year on the first Wednesday where we get a special parking area right up under the trees in the front. Usually around 30-40 corvairs show up for that.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
drewvair

Post by drewvair »

The company I work for is a major sponsor of the Beaches Cruisin and I am working our booth every week (Riverview Community Bank). I probably won't make the meeting next week but will come to the August one and will bring some passes for you guys.
1965 Corsa Turbo
Portland, OR

Return to “Introductions”