This van reached out for help

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Mont3

Re: This van reached out for help

Post by Mont3 »

Solid advice. What you mentioned is valid and I appreciate it and my expectations were exceeded with respect to the motor. It'll get it's turn and get freshened up. Moving forward, I'm planning to remove the rear suspension from the body along with the front so all of it can get cleaned up, some pieces replaced, possibly a brake conversion and new brake lines. The body will be the last part as I enjoy the rebuilding process.
- Monte
Mont3

Post by Mont3 »

Gregory_Miller wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:05 pm You could make it into one of these! :chevy:

I don't know if there can be two Scooby van running around. I gonna have to pass on it but thanks.
- Monte
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Mont3,
Have fun with your van. At least it won't be sitting there abandoned, rotting away another 20 years.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Mont3

Post by Mont3 »

After several weeks to months of back and forth with the owner of the yard where I pulled this van from and working on a few other projects, I finally set aside the BS and dealt with the DMV myself. Within this window of time, I had been told the true owner of the vehicle may have the title. I was a bit stumped learning about this after making the exchange of funds and getting a bill of sale which I began to think was bogus. So, no work went into the van. I decide if there was an owner to this vehicle and he had a title, it would be in the system and so off I went to the DMV to find out. I took what documentation I had along with an application for title and stood in line. When my turn came up, I explained the situation and was told I’d needed to get a state VIN check to find out if it was on record. Two weeks later a document from the state shows up stating no record was in the system. Few days later I went back with my docs for another attempt to get the title. This time everything went well with exception that I didn’t have the vehicle weight in the form of a scale slip. Thursday, my buddy and I towed the van to the truck stop and got the slip!
20180906_160625.jpg
This past Friday, I went back and presented my documentation once more. Interestingly enough, when the lady input the VIN, A noticed came back stating the van was indeed in the system. She made a call to the state DMV office and spoke with VIN wizard who let her know the title had been surrendered in another state many years ago and a simple title transfer could be done. She ended the call, explained what had taken place and what was said and commenced to complete the application process. I paid my fine (late application fine of $50) and application fee of $10, signed the application form and off it went. One interesting comment the gal made when filling out application from the title info n record, when asked what color it was, I mentioned green. She mentioned the color on the title was gray. that was the colored delivered as the inside is all gray except the dash. I was told within 3-4 weeks the title would be sent to the house. I left the DMV with a great sense of relief and accomplishment as I would think some would have probably turned sour and not want to go the distance to secure the title. As for the yard owner, I learned thru talking with a few folks who've dealt with him that he’s not all there. Anyway, I’m working on a plan for this project and compiling a list of small items this van doesn’t have.
- Monte
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Good for you. Dealing with the DMV can be challenge when it comes to old cars.

Years ago I went in to register an old car I bought from out of state. I got the run around and "you have to go get this", etc.

I went back two weeks later and a different person processed the paperwork and didn't even ask for the other items I was told "I needed". After that whenever I got a DMV worker who gave me the run around I'd just wait a week or so and go back and get a different person who would take care of things with no objections.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

It sounds like when registering classic cars, even the DMV has a form of "Deep State"!

ImageImage
Image :USA: :rallye: :swerve: :tease:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Mont3

Post by Mont3 »

Took 10 weeks to get my title but that's all over. A buddy and I moved the van to its resting spot for the winter. Had great correspondence with Corvairkid about his trucks brake conversion. That's part of the first thing I want to get done is to remove the front suspension and clean it up as well as replace bushings, tie rod ends and do a conversion on the front brakes. The brackets were ordered and came in the mail today so I hope to line them up to ensure they will fit before moving forward. I did learn there'll need to be a little machine work done to the steering arms so the brackets fit properly. Have that coordinated so all good. If this goes according to plan, I'll post the pieces used to make this conversion happen. So, in preparing the van for this endeavor, I wanted to get it lifted to allow for both the front and rear suspension to be removed so I made some stands out of 2x4s and staggered them. Work really nice...
20181220_122335.jpg
Next up the drums were removed as well as the brake components and the back plates. I have alot of cleaning to do on the undercarriage but I'm sure it'll be worth it as I plan on using U-POL Raptor bed coating as I have on my VW. Not looking forward to removing whatever is under there now. There's some 'MacGyver-ing' with what looks to be with the clutch cabling...
20181220_122342.jpg
Ready for a test fit...
20181220_143957.jpg
Merry Christmas, more to follow...
- Monte
Mont3

Post by Mont3 »

Yesterday and today was spent on the cold ground removing bits and pieces to pull the front suspension off. I was able to remove it in two sections: the steering arms and tie rods and the suspension assembly. Interesting how the bolts were set up with this front end. Three were inserted upward with one nearest the passenger rear by air ducting was facing downward and will not come out. Probably set that way from the factory as I can't see how someone could have pulled that off in such a small space. something was living inside the ducting so it'll be interesting to remove the home when the time comes. The front end was taken to the local car wash where alot of gunk and dirt was washed away till I get a stand put together to place the front end on to take inventory and slowly disassemble it, clean it, replace what I need to and put it back together. :tu:
Attachments
20190113_121318.jpg
20190113_121327.jpg
20190113_195405.jpg
20190113_195423.jpg
- Monte
Mont3

Post by Mont3 »

20190119_123459.jpg
Got the front suspension on its own cart so I can work on it. Almost have all the bits to start tearing this down to clean it up, paint it and partially put it back together as I'm still researching airbags for it. Either way, should be fun. Still needing to collect bits for the steering linkage. But little by little. No rush on this project.
- Monte
Mont3

Post by Mont3 »

20190203_171614.jpg
Last weekend I disassembled the front end, removed the bushings and yesterday removed the ball joints in hopes to get these larger cross member and arms to the blaster. I wire-wheeled one of the uppers and wasn't satisfied with the results so they'll get a good cleaning. The ball joints were a SOB as I had ground down the rivet heads and used a punch to no avail so off to my buddy's to get some serious heat on them just as the bushings got. Looking forward to getting them back cleaning up. Moving on...
- Monte
Mont3

Post by Mont3 »

Been a while since I last posted. I finished off the front end rebuild with exception of bagging it since I’ve been researching a set up to employ. Between the front end and pulling the rear end off and getting started on it, I found and bought a donor. This donor had the sheet metal I needed to address the areas on my van I needed to get corrected. The poor thing had been in a fire so alot of metal was warped. I salvaged what I could and took the rest to scrap. The weather was another factor holding me up as this past summer, fall and winter was very wet, cold and with alot of snow. I eventually got a window to work in and went after it pulling the rear end out from under the van. Since I had done with this with the donor, I was familiar with what I needed to do in order to make this as quick and safe as possible. Once I had the rear end out, I got a good look at what I suspected was some good damage that this van had experienced. Clutch cable had been McGyver’d as well as the transmission bracket. Something didn’t look right since I removed the other transmission on the donor, the bracket looked different. I later learned the story of a former telephone company employee that knew this van was taken out into the hills by another person along with his lady friend to get some honey on stinger. They somehow got stuck and in doing so did some damage to the van. Well, from taking pieces off this thing, the shifting shaft was all bent up. Clutch cable snapped and was put together with household hardware, angle-iron to extend the existing bracket as I can only surmise the OG transmission bracket was broken off and possibly the transmission damaged really bad. The driver’s rear axle bracket that attached to the Ujoint had extensive welding in place which looks like it broke on some level of impact on something. So whatever happened to this thing, it makes sense that the rear quarter damage in front of the wheel could be attributed to this incident as well. Either way, I thought the story was funny as I though wow, at night with you lady friend in the Blackhills, pitch dark in a phone company van, get it stuck, try to get it out and fail. No phone, have to walk back to come back and try to get it out, explain that to the boss as the fleet truck is a no show to work, towed in damaged...explanation? I didn’t get that piece of the story but whatever it may have been it probably sucked for that guy. It’s my problem now. Here's a pic of the front holding for a set or airbags. The brake conversion will go on after this is mounted back in place.
20191004_122309.jpg
She's out!
20200410_165843.jpg
Love the cherry bomb...
20200410_165908.jpg
Hmmm what's going on here McGvyer?
20200411_111122.jpg
Looks like this axle was welded as I can only imagine the beating it took...
20200417_124041.jpg
Hows this for a clutch?
20200417_124049.jpg
After all the cleaning, sandblasting, Cleaned and repacked bearings, the rear is holding for some bags...
20200430_172138.jpg
I found out this transmission is a 4spd from the Code on the side...
20200411_122035.jpg
The transmission from my donor is a 3spd. I’m not sure yet if the larger bracket taken from the 3spd can mount to the 4spd and be properly mounted and used. I don’t know if that transmission is from a FC or another model. Anyone have any idea?
- Monte
TimeMachineParadox

Post by TimeMachineParadox »

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that that transmission mount is from a car, the proper mount for a van would be wider and slightly beefier. As far as I know, the cross member mount for a 3spd can not be used for a 4spd, california corvairs has a 4spd van crossmember for 60$. It also looks like the 4spd on your van came from a car, since it has a back-up light switch mounted on the bottom. You can use a car 4spd with the proper van 4spd crossmember though.

I'm assuming you put the axles from the donor van onto yours, I hope you kept the old rear axle bearings since they're specific to the corvair van and difficult or very expensive to find.
~Nick
Louisville, Kentucky, US

64 Greenbrier
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=359

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... _page=167A

Part number CU263: USED FT TRANS CROSSMEMBER 63-65 FC 3SPD

Weight: 4 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Page(s): U-18
Price: $ 10.00

Part number CU264: USED FT TRANS CROSSMEMBER 63-65 FC 4SPD

Price: $ 60.00

bbodie52 wrote:You might contact the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg Pennsylvania. They have a large inventory of used Corvair parts. Recommend you give them a call to discuss your needs...

:link: http://www.corvairranch.com/

1079 Bon-Ox Road, ​Gettysburg, ​PA. 17325 USA
​Phone: 717-624-2805

fax us by the same number... ask us to hook up the machine

Email: findit@theranch.today

Our hours are Monday thru Friday 9 to 5, Saturday 9 to 12 or contact us for an appointment.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Mont3

Post by Mont3 »

TimeMachineParadox wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:09 pm Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that that transmission mount is from a car, the proper mount for a van would be wider and slightly beefier. As far as I know, the cross member mount for a 3spd can not be used for a 4spd, california corvairs has a 4spd van crossmember for 60$. It also looks like the 4spd on your van came from a car, since it has a back-up light switch mounted on the bottom. You can use a car 4spd with the proper van 4spd crossmember though.

I'm assuming you put the axles from the donor van onto yours, I hope you kept the old rear axle bearings since they're specific to the corvair van and difficult or very expensive to find.
Hi Nick,
I guess I should have articulated my earlier post a little better when it came to the crossmembers. I have both for the 3-spd from the donor FC and what I assume as well is a cars 4-spd with the trans axle. I'm unsure if that transmission is compatible to place in an FC as I would think the gearing may be different in getting an FC down the road loaded or am I off? I'm only speculating as I've not dealt with transmissions much. Also don't see a drain plug for it like I do on the 3-spd. On another note, I did get in the gaskets and seals to put it all together and also got some new mounts from Clarks as both sets were spent. Just debating now what to do about the transmission choice.

I did use one of the donors axles as I blew one of the bearings up trying to remove it from the axle...rookie move on my behalf. :doh:
- Monte
Mont3

Post by Mont3 »

bbodie52 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:12 am Image
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=359

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... _page=167A

Part number CU263: USED FT TRANS CROSSMEMBER 63-65 FC 3SPD

Price: $ 10.00

Part number CU264: USED FT TRANS CROSSMEMBER 63-65 FC 4SPD

Price: $ 60.00

bbodie52 wrote:You might contact the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg Pennsylvania. They have a large inventory of used Corvair parts. Recommend you give them a call to discuss your needs...

:link: http://www.corvairranch.com/

1079 Bon-Ox Road, ​Gettysburg, ​PA. 17325 USA
​Phone: 717-624-2805

fax us by the same number... ask us to hook up the machine

Email: findit@theranch.today

Our hours are Monday thru Friday 9 to 5, Saturday 9 to 12 or contact us for an appointment.
Hi bbodie52,
Thanks for the links but I have both crossmembers. Just trying to figure out what to do with the choice of transmission. Refer to above post with Nick. Thanks for the reply!
- Monte
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Still confusing. If you are going to run a 4-speed in an FC you need an FC 4-speed mount. The car 4-speed mount will not work.
You can use a car 4-speed but first gear is too tall to start off on a slope. I've had to turn around when I get stopped on a steep incline in my FC with car 4-speed. (unloaded)
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Introductions”