Hello Everybody

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Kram

Hello Everybody

Post by Kram »

Hi folks,

I've always loved Corvairs, but recently I found out that both my mother and father, and BOTH their parents had corvairs!

I'm determined to build one for myself.

Hopefully my ideas won't offend anyone, as I plan to modify it extensively. In my defense, I will be looking for a basket-case of a car, and not a pristine, rust-free example.

Hope everyone has a productive and peaceful 2018!

Cheers,

-Kram
Attachments
Kramstein Corvair.jpg
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Hello Everybody

Post by azdave »

Welcome! I hold the opinion that you should do whatever you want to your Corvair as long as no one gets hurt. I don't care if you buy a rare model or a common one to modify. You paid for it so do as you please. Just be sure to have fun along the way.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

You don't say where you are. In the Southwest U.S.A. you'll find a lot of tired, rough, but solid Corvairs that are not expensive and make a good platform for building a modified Corvair. DO NOT assume all cars from dry areas rust free, you have to go look.
Kram

Post by Kram »

Thanks guys! I'm in California. Lots of nice corvairs are available, and for far less than they should be worth. It's hard to believe you can buy a perfectly good running car, for only $4k! I'm currently waiting/looking for the right '68 - '69 Monza to pop up. In the meantime, I'll be building my dream corvair as a 3D model, and when I'm done, I'll CNC the bodywork in foam sections from 3D. Thanks for the forum. Hope to have updates before too long.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to watching you build this one! It looks awesome!
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Why a 68 or 69? Both are not very common as production numbers were low.

I'd guess the 65-66 cars are the most popular now, and produced in the largest numbers. Although there is a dedicated group to the 69 Corvairs.

The 67's got the newer (and thinner) front seats with the integrated head rest. If I recall correctly starting in 67 the dash pad wrapped down around the ignition switch and cigarette lighter. This stayed the same into 68 -69.

Since you want to do a lot of modifications the Monza model would probably be a good base. At one time you could find the "stripper" models for not much money, but most have been cut up for parts or rebodied as Corsa or Monza models. The few that remain in good shape are now gaining value just because they are so uncommon now.

The SCC club in L.A. CA. has a few members with modified cars. If you're in that area it might be worth contacting them.
Kram

Post by Kram »

Thanks for the info and the welcome!

I guess it doesn't have to be a 68. I liked the fact that the 68 year coupe had all the AC and 'extra' stuff removed. It really seemed like the Chevy engineers main focus was to simplify everything.

Poly Model is now up and running, and I should have real, workable CAD by the weekend. Remodelling the body should hopefully be done by end of February. Going to have the entire project completed digitally, before I start doing the real work.
Attachments
Corvair3D_Sketch_001.jpg
Kram

Post by Kram »

Getting the side proportions. I don't know if anyone else would agree with me, but I think the tail of the monza is about 3" to 4" too long, and I'm experimenting with cutting it down just a bit.
Attachments
SideLines.jpg
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Kram wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:34 pm Thanks for the info and the welcome!

I guess it doesn't have to be a 68. I liked the fact that the 68 year coupe had all the AC and 'extra' stuff removed. It really seemed like the Chevy engineers main focus was to simplify everything.

Poly Model is now up and running, and I should have real, workable CAD by the weekend. Remodelling the body should hopefully be done by end of February. Going to have the entire project completed digitally, before I start doing the real work.
Nice CAD work.
All Corvairs didn't have much "extra" stuff. The Vair historians say only 3% of Corvairs had A/C (not sure if that is all Corvairs or only the years it was available). No P.S, no P.B., basically the only options were PowerGlide, HD suspension, engines, and fast steering, and of course the small stuff like convience options - remote outside mirror, telescoping steering wheel, interior floor lamps, etc. Of course the Monza and Corsa cars got more trim than the base model. Note the 67-69 had different door hinges (steel vs. the 65-66 cast hinge) and the mountings are different.

Not sure if you are going to revise the steering. The 67 and up cars had the collapsing steering column (much safer in a crash). I think the faster steering ratio (less turns of the steering wheel) was optional on all LM Corvairs. Recently Flaming River stopped making a new fast replacement box. The standard box is slow, but fine for street use. Finding an original fast steering box and arms in good condition is now very difficult.

Good luck on the hunt. Check with Davemotohead as he has some spare body shells in the dry Calif. desert. Usually cuts them up and sends the parts to folks back East.

Return to “Introductions”