Made the plunge!

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
tcwheels

Made the plunge!

Post by tcwheels »

After looking for a while I finally made my choice. A 1966 Monza convertible 140hp, PG. It was “restored” in the 80s and that work is looking pretty rough, but it runs and drives and the interior is great. I’m going to tinker a little and drive a lot!

1966 Monza Convertible 140hp PG
Jerry Whitt

Re: Made the plunge!

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Looks nice! As the tinkering goes along, questions will probably pop up and lots of folks here are happy to help. Welcome to the Forum.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

That's an interesting car.

Not that many 140HP PG cars. Keep in mind the 140HP engine with the PG (automatic) does not use the same camshaft and the crank/cam gear is unique compared to the manual transmission cars. The 140HP powerglide also got a unique governor that allowed the transmission to upshift at a higher RPM.

Enjoy the car.
tcwheels

Post by tcwheels »

66vairguy wrote:That's an interesting car.

Not that many 140HP PG cars. Keep in mind the 140HP engine with the PG (automatic) does not use the same camshaft and the crank/cam gear is unique compared to the manual transmission cars. The 140HP powerglide also got a unique governor that allowed the transmission to upshift at a higher RPM.

Enjoy the car.
Thanks for that info! I did not know that and it makes sense as it is able to wind out pretty well in 1st before shifting.

tcwheels

Post by tcwheels »

Jerry Whitt wrote:Looks nice! As the tinkering goes along, questions will probably pop up and lots of folks here are happy to help. Welcome to the Forum.
Thanks Jerry! I will definitely avail myself of the great knowledge and comradery of the forum.

tcwheels

Post by tcwheels »

66vairguy wrote:That's an interesting car.

Enjoy the car.
After reading your observation, I checked the numbers to see if they match or if PO had maybe done an engine swap. The numbers match, so it’s cool that the car is a little unique!

I have some questions I need help with. Should I post those here or start a new thread?

Bruins_Fan
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Bruins_Fan »

Nice car! Enjoy it!
'66 Monza Convertible 110hp Powerglide
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

tcwheels wrote:I have some questions I need help with. Should I post those here or start a new thread?
You have pretty-much completed an introduction. I would recommend starting a new project thread under Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds viewforum.php?f=52

My Project.jpg
Try to open by defining your goals and objectives for this car. You should establish your own timetable and budget in your own mind. If there is a CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapter in your local area, you may want to check them out and consider joining them so that you can discuss your project and perhaps add local advice and support to your hobby.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your earlier posts and tell us more about yourself. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your specific location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Introductions”