Getting frustrated looking for my next Corvair

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
morevair

Getting frustrated looking for my next Corvair

Post by morevair »

All, my first car back in the 70s was a 1966 four-door sedan 500. I’m looking to get a nice daily driver maybe a 140 horse Corsa or Monza two door coupe I prefer powerglide with up with Factory AC (Yeah I know it’s a rare bird) and I’m having a hard time finding it ... am I dreaming that such a beast exist?
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
morevair

Re: Getting frustrated looking for my next Corvair

Post by morevair »

My perfect beast would be... 1965/6 corsa/monza (as long as it has the full instrument cluster) hardtop with factory AC power glide trans. Iv'e found part but not all... I've been looking for a while... and either it not out there OR they want $30,000 for a convertible version of what I want...
In all the the USA there's got to be something similar to what I'm looking for... Any help is appreciated...
this is the closest thing I've found... http://gatewayclassiccars.com/tampa/196 ... -S419.html

but all badges have been removed, and I see some possible rust issues...

So any hints to get my next baby would be greatly appreciated...

On all of the posts I notice that the post ends with the vehicles that the poster owns...

that being said...

none... bummer
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

morevair wrote:Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:52 pm

My perfect beast would be... 1965/6 corsa/monza (as long as it has the full instrument cluster) hardtop with factory AC power glide trans,,,
Your quest for a Corsa coupe with a Powerglide transmission simply never existed. The Corvair Corsa was only offered with a manual transmission. Also, the standard engine for the Corsa was the 140 hp engine. In 1965 Chevrolet engineers had decided that air conditioning would not be offered in cars that were fitted with a 140 hp engine. This changed with the redesign of the air conditioning system in 1966. So 1966 was the only year where it was possible to order a Corsa that was fitted with its standard 140 hp engine and air conditioning could be added. But still, only the 500 and Monza could be obtained with a 140 hp engine AND air conditioning AND a Powerglide automatic transmission. Such a combination in a 500 or Monza coupe would bring you close to your desired Corvair. You would still have to create a Corsa clone by adding the desired instrument panel and Corsa trim. However, there is no provision for the Powerglide shift lever in the Corsa instrument panel. You would either have to modify a Corsa instrument panel to accept the Powerglide shift lever and the air conditioning air duct outlet, or you would have to install a Powerglide floor shifter, as offered by Clark's Corvair Parts on page 135 of their online catalog. If you found a good candidate for conversion to a Corsa clone in a 500 or Monza coupe that was already fitted with a 140 hp engine, but the car had no air conditioning, you could install an aftermarket air conditioning kit. The resulting car would begin to approach your desired Corvair configuration.
Air Vair Group wrote:...The biggest news of 1965 - assuming everyone was bored with the conventional Mustang by now was of course the Late Model Corvair! Sales are on the upswing again, and buyers loved the new look. The technophiles were very impressed with the new Fully Independent Rear Suspension. Just like the Corvette, only better - coil springs and rear-engine traction. The air conditioning was fully integrated into the new dashboard and resulted in an increase of sales to 4.03% - 9483 cool cats in Corvairs. This was the highest number produced in any model year.

One interesting note - This was the first year of the special high performance engine with 140 horsepower, but because of the placement of the additional carbs, the brackets to mount the compressor would have to be different. Chevrolet engineers chose to offer the C64 Air Conditioning on the 95 and 110 hp engines only. This means Monzas and 500 models only were made with RPO C64 - Factory Air/Conditioning - NO Corsas...

...For 1966 several changes in the mechanics took place. and Lo and Behold the 140 sprouted A/C !!! The even bigger news to A/C fans is - they finally got the darn condenser off of the engine!!! It was moved to its final resting place in the front of the engine compartment, where it received all of the incoming air. Finally - you could actually change a belt without a mechanical degree. As an additional benefit, the C-64 option became available on the top of the line Corsa model in its final year...[/size]
:link: https://www.corvair.org/chapters/airvairs/

1965-1966 RPO.jpg

Attachments
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 15 times
1966-Chevrolet-Corvair - GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1966 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
morevair

Post by morevair »

Very informative thank you…
I figured a Corsa was out of the picture since I wanted a powerglide ( since that was my original car ) but we’re just looking for the best configuration possible that actually existed out there . So basically I guess I’m looking for A Monza with 140 engine and powerglide that’s workable to make it into a decent daily driver… haven’t been able to find it yet. But thanks for the information, Corvair people are so cool…
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
morevair

Post by morevair »

Now what? Where am I going to find this Monza ? I’ve looked all over the Internet I haven’t seen one yet… Any links to resources Point vehicle I’m looking for is appreciated… Thanks maybe I should just buy this overpriced Monda from Tampa and modify it to make my own… But I hate spending 11,000 on a car that’s actually worth seven…
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
morevair

Post by morevair »

It’s really nice having corvair lovers out there for support… Once I get my baby I’m sure I’m going to want to do a lot of things to it… Electronic ignition… Electronic fuel pump… Maybe EFI… And get the outsides looking correct… Plus I haven’t worked on cars in many years I’ll probably need to buy a timing light again…
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I have been around Corvairs since I was eight years old, in 1961, when my parents bought their first Corvair. They later upgraded to a 1965 Corsa convertible, and I learned to drive in that car and took my first drivers test in that convertible. When I was 20 years old I joined the Air Force, and upon completing tech school in 1973 my parents gave me the 1965 Corsa convertible that had been in the family since 1965. My wife and I drove it for many years and took it all over the country and to Germany with us when we were stationed there. It changed colors several times, from a light mist blue to a dark green, and then finally I had it painted red. Here's a picture of it just before we shipped it to Germany from our assignment in Massachusetts…

I made the mistake of selling the 1965 Corvair Corsa when I retired from the Air Force and transitioned back to civilian life after 24 years in 1996. I have regretted selling that car, but what is done, is done! In 2012 my wife and I treated ourselves to a 1966 Corsa convertible as we celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary…

:idea: :search: :confused: :think: You will have to decide, based on your assessment of your own mechanical skills, how much restoration work you are willing and capable of tackling yourself. Anything that has to be done by a professional body shop or professional mechanic will likely add a great deal of expense to the total cost of your purchase. While spending more money up front does not guarantee that you will get a better car to start out with, the added cost of an initial purchase or of adding the cost of transportation to bring the car from a distant location might ultimately save you money. There is also the possibility of asking Corvair Forum members or members of CORSA to help you to evaluate cars that you would be considering that are too far away for you to personally examine prior to purchase. Many Corvair buyers in Europe for example have taken a similar approach in asking for help and advice from Corvair enthusiasts around the United States as they work through the process of finding and locating candidates that look good from listings on the Internet. Some of these candidates turn out to be a poor choice when they are actually evaluated by a third-party Corvair aficionado. Others turned out to be a great find that ultimately was packed up and shipped all the way to Europe! The key is to find the best car you can for the available money, to utilize assistance from within the Corvair community when making the final decision, and to not cut corners when spending money to buy or transport the vehicle of your dreams to your home. Overestimating your ability to restore a substandard car might be false economy that will haunt you in the end as you struggle to bring the car up to the standards of being a safe and drivable vehicle.

If you happen to come across a very nice Corvair that perhaps is not a perfect match for your wish list, you may find that accepting some compromises will help you to locate a car that is nearly perfect for your needs. For example, if you find the Corvair that is a 110 hp, two carburetor Monza, you might consider accepting something it is slightly less than a Corsa. Some Monzas are equipped with a 140 hp four carburetor engine, and really differ only from the Corsa because they lack a Corsa instrument panel and Corsa trim. The suspension, brakes, powertrain, body and interior are essentially the same as the Corsa. It is even possible to do an easy upgrade and create what essentially is a Corsa clone by simply installing a Corsa instrument panel, and perhaps some Corsa trim. 110 hp and 140 hp engines are nearly identical, with the exception of the cylinder heads. The bottom end and camshaft are the same, and it is quite easy to install 140 hp cylinder heads, if you want the extra top-end performance. But I suspect that most 140 hp engines spend about 90% of their life operating on only the two primary carburetors. The difference in the two engines only becomes apparent if you drive the car hard enough to open the secondary carburetors and take advantage of the big valves and dual exhaust. I am considering upgrading my 140 hp engine by eliminating the four carburetors and replacing them with a electronic fuel injection system that operates using only two throttle bodies. That system also includes a distributorless electronic ignition system. For me, the added reliability and drivability of the Corvair engine that is breathing through electronic fuel injection throttle bodies and operates with no distributor is a plus that I want to take advantage of. I believe the airflow capacity of the EFI throttle bodies is greater than a pair of Rochester carburetors, so the overall performance should be quite good when breathing through the 140 hp cylinder heads and equipped with a dual exhaust. My wife and I hope to do some extensive traveling in that Corvair, and the improved reliability and stability of the Corvair engine with a modern GM electronic fuel injection and distributorless ignition system has a great deal of appeal to me at age 64.

To me, the combination of a sporty, strong-running Corvair does not include the word Powerglide in its list of features. That 2-speed automatic slushbox takes a lot of fun out of the equation. Clark's offers a high stall speed torque converter that might help (see below). The Powerglide transmission has a good reputation for reliability. It is only a 2-speed transmission, which limits performance, but the change in torque converter might improve its drive-ability. The Corvair engine is already a limited performer (when compared to more-powerful V8 engines), and it becomes harder to manage on hot days when heavily loaded in hilly terrain and with a larger passenger/cargo load. Adding air conditioning to the engine load and then limiting the powertrain further with a 2-speed automatic transmission just seems counter-productive. Have you ever driven a Corvair with a four-speed manual transmission? Modern performance automatic transmissions from Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc. often have 7 or more speeds that shift smoothly and have the right gear available for optimum performance at all times and under all road conditions. The 2-speed Powerglide is just too much a limiting factor for my taste. If you have not driven manual and automatic transmission Corvairs for comparison, you should try to arrange comparison test drives so that you can judge for yourself.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... _page=135B

So as you search for your dream Corvair, don't completely disregard Monza coupes. If you come across a very clean, rust-free Monza with a good interior, solid powertrain, suspension, etc. consider how close it really is to a Corsa in performance and handling, and consider the overall condition of the car and how much closer you can bring it to your dream car was a little custom upgrade work. Tailoring it to your needs and desires can be part of the fun of ownership — especially if you start out with a very clean base car.

Here are a couple of Internet resources that you might check out to see if you can locate any promising Corvairs that would interest you…

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/pages.c ... =buyorsell

:link: https://www.corvair.org/go-shopping

:link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... sacat=6001

:link: https://classics.autotrader.com/classic ... search-bar

:link: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/ca ... et/corvair

Good luck with your search. If you have any questions about any specific cars that you are considering, I hope you will look to the Corvair Forum for advice.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

morevair wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:52 pm My perfect beast would be... 1965/6 corsa/monza (as long as it has the full instrument cluster) hardtop with factory AC power glide trans. Iv'e found part but not all... I've been looking for a while... and either it not out there OR they want $30,000 for a convertible version of what I want...
In all the the USA there's got to be something similar to what I'm looking for... Any help is appreciated...
this is the closest thing I've found... http://gatewayclassiccars.com/tampa/196 ... -S419.html

but all badges have been removed, and I see some possible rust issues...

So any hints to get my next baby would be greatly appreciated...

On all of the posts I notice that the post ends with the vehicles that the poster owns...

that being said...

none... bummer
I would likely run away from this car (OK it might be worth a close inspection but it does not look like a good buy to me. They are asking strong money for what looks to be a mediocre car. They did not even clean the overspray off the tires. Certainly a bad rust spot in the front trunk weatherstrip flange near the left headlamp. Very pitted interior trim and poor instrument panel lenses, trashed carpet among other things suggest it may be a pig in fresh set of clothes
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
morevair

Post by morevair »

Thanks very much for the replies, as I said earlier ... corvair people are the best ... perhaps you’re correct I should look for a four-speed Monza rather than a powerglide . And yes I saw those telltale rust damages on that vehicle kind of worried me .
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
morevair

Post by morevair »

I guess a stick would be better but I haven’t driven once is 1968 LOL
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
morevair

Post by morevair »

Sorry, meant once since 1968
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
morevair

Post by morevair »

I think I found Her... talked to this seller a few weeks ago (really nice) your opinions are welcome...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966- ... corvair-6/
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Here is a 1966 Monza 140 powerglide, no air & needs some work.
https://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 08144.html
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
morevair

Post by morevair »

Well, I talked to the seller... Looks like She's mine... I'll definitively be ashing for your help in the future... GO CORVAIR !!!!
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
morevair

Post by morevair »

The adventure begins...
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
morevair

Post by morevair »

thanks 64powerglide for the suggestion... the one I picked is a little pricey but it's so nice...
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed

Return to “Introductions”