Hi from Frankfurt / Germany

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Corvair_Tim

Hi from Frankfurt / Germany

Post by Corvair_Tim »

Hi guys
my name is Tim from Frankfurt Germany. I´m 25 years old and i got a 1963 Corvair Monza Coupe.

I´m new in the classic car world and here in germany there are many classic car lovers. I think the biggest difference between the States and Germany is that the cars in germany does not get driven that much. They are more for show and all the old guys just love the OEM and think that all type of custom destroys the look.

Here are not much young people driving old cars cause they are very expensive over here. I love the style of the corvair, but i want to go a little more into the world of tuning. No Engine tuning just style. Maybe a nice funky colour, airide to park it flat on the ground ;) and nice wheels.

We will see

Have a nice one
Tim
Trip

Re: Hi from Frankfurt / Germany

Post by Trip »

Tim, Welcome to the community and the hobby!

Here in the US one of the nice things about the Corvair community is that most people are fine with modified cars, more so than a lot of other models of car.

Personally my preference is mostly for "period correct" modifications, so installing styles of mag wheel that were popular in the 60's and 70's etc. As for air ride, because of the suspension design (especially 1960-1964 models) of the Corvair drastically lowering the car will cause the rear wheels to have a very large amount of camber, and a lot of people including myself don't like how that looks. (example attached)

You will find lots of encouragement and advice here no matter what mods you want to make, enjoy!
1488317857_tlgusau_2lw.jpg
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
guru_1071

Post by guru_1071 »

Corvair_Tim wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:52 am park it flat on the ground
hi tim

its certainly possible to get a corvair to park flat on the ground, mine goes all the way until its floor and gearbox are resting on it.....

you will be in the same situation as me though, and will have to consider the far stricter rules that are in Germany (and the uk) for modifying vehicles.

as mine was modified (with proof) prior to 1998 its legal, if it was a fresh modification in 2017 it wouldn't have been.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Mines a little lowered and drives really well like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Welcome Tim. :welcome:
We're glad to have you. I hope you do customize your car. I don't like OEM stock, ALTHOUGH I do respect it allot. Its just my preference to personalize my cars to my taste. See you around the forum. :tu:

My current build is also a '63 coupe. I plan on adding air ride as well.
Here's some of my old builds.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Corvair_Tim

Post by Corvair_Tim »

Thanks guys :)
toytron

Post by toytron »

Welcome Tim. Guru that is sick looking I can see why Tim would want to do that!

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
toytron

Post by toytron »

Scott Howey wrote:Welcome Tim. :welcome:
We're glad to have you. I hope you do customize your car. I don't like OEM stock, ALTHOUGH I do respect it allot. Its just my preference to personalize my cars to my taste. See you around the forum. :tu:

My current build is also a '63 coupe. I plan on adding air ride as well.
Here's some of my old builds.
Hey Scott, none of your pics came through on my end.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Hi Tim - I'm familiar with the SCC club in Los Angeles, Calif. and it has quite a variation of Corvairs. Show cars, klunkers, drivers, modified, etc. It just kind of happened and the club made a point of welcoming anything Corvair related. Some clubs can be formal and prefer "correct" cars.

SCC puts on a Corvair show Sept. 8th, 2018. ANY Corvair powered vehicle that runs is welcome. Not just all shiny cars, some real works in progress show up. It's fun, they don't make it too serious. Usually about 80 - 100 Corvairs show up.

As far as age of members. Most, but not all, are older for the simple reason people don't have the time or money for an old car project until they get to about 40 years old. There is an effort to welcome, and pass knowledge to, the younger folks so they can keep their Corvair going.

Enjoy your car.

Return to “Introductions”