Another Corsa Found.

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Apittslife

Another Corsa Found.

Post by Apittslife »

Hello to all.
My name is Paul, & I am from Southern Indiana. A good friend of mine Bought a 1966 Chevelle Super-Sport. But in order to get it, He had to also take a 1966 Corvair Corsa Turbo as a package deal. He said if I wanted it? I could have it.
It currently has a Non-turbo 140 HP motor & automatic trans in it, But it comes with the Original Turbo-charged engine. No mention of the manual trans, but you can see the Clutch fork & arm on engine pic. The Corvair's back glass was somehow broken 20 odd years ago, & it had been Garage since, till about 6 months ago. So the car is actually in better condition structurally then it looks. Interior is rough, but complete. Paint is peeling do to cheap repaint. Only rust out is at lower A-Pillar & lower front fender. Turbo & Carb are there, but are siezed up.
My plan is to get it up & running again, & replace the Back-Glass. Then Restore it, & rebuild the Turbo-Charged Engine while I drive it. I was Born in 1966, & Truthfully, other then a '66 Vette. The corvair is the only other Car from that year I like. ( Thats saying a lot from a Ford/Mopar Guy! LOL )
Who Knows? Maybe I can find a Manual Trans rear Suspension, & after I get the Vair done, & can Build a trike with the 140HP Drive train? lol
Attachments
IMG_20171028_093126.jpg
IMG_20171028_093341.jpg
IMG_20171028_093644.jpg
Trip

Re: Another Corsa Found.

Post by Trip »

That's pretty awesome! Congrats on the Corsa. Getting the manual transaxle stuff should not be difficult since they could come from any 65-69 manual transmission Corvair. You might even want to look at buying a <$500 Monza manual transmission Corvair parts car to do the job and then after you take the parts you want sell what's left for scrap.

Looking forward to seeing the car come together. Just FYI, the 140 four carb engine is considered by most of us to be the most fun to drive and "fastest" in normal street conditions. The turbo cars are just a whole lot of cool factor and novelty, regardless I can't wait to get my 180hp Corsa on the road.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

The Corsa model was only produced in 1966 and 1965. The base engine in the Corsa was a 140 hp engine, and the optional engine was the 180 hp turbocharged engine. All Corsas were sold with a manual transmission only. RPO M35 (Powerglide Transmission) was only offered for the Corvair 500 and Corvair Monza. If you can post a close-up photograph of your body tag (located in the engine compartment on the perimeter frame) and VIN tag (adjacent to the battery) I will decode them for you so that we can verify the true nature of your Corvair when it was produced by GM.

I have attached a copy of the 1966-Chevrolet-Corvair - GM Heritage Center Specs for your information.

Depending on your plans for your 1966 Corsa, you may find that the 140 hp engine produces a more economical and drivable machine. The turbocharged engine can be somewhat expensive to repair and maintain, the Carter YH carburetor is more difficult to tune, and the turbocharged engine gets relatively poor gas mileage when compared to the remainder of the Corvair lineup. The 110 hp and 140 hp engines both produce approximately 24 MPG (less if you drive a lot with the secondary carburetors online in the 140 hp engine). Both engines will often tolerate regular or midgrade fuel, depending on the ignition timing settings, the passenger and cargo load, the ambient temperature, and the terrain being driven. The turbocharged 180 hp engine demands premium fuel at all times and offers gas mileage in the teens.

The Powerglide transmission has a good reputation for reliability, as long as you maintain proper transmission fluid levels and do not overfill or under fill the transmission. The vacuum modulator on the right side of the transmission seldom lasts more than 10 years. The inner reinforced rubber diaphragm is very thin and is weakened by hot Powerglide transmission fluid and constant flexing. If you detect transmission fluid inside the vacuum hose when you detach it from the vacuum modulator, it is time to replace the vacuum modulator.

ImageImage
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=135
Part number C876: PG MODULATOR VALVE GASKET-C877 HOSE-C3358 WRENCH=C5294

Weight: 0 lbs 8 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 135(59)
Price:
1 - 1 $ 26.30

If you intend to switch back to a four speed manual transmission you should be aware that the transmission design changed in 1966. The 1965 manual transmission was similar in design to the transmission used from 1961-1965. You would need to locate a matching transaxle for 1965-1966 Corvair. The universal joint yolks in 1966-1969 or larger than those found on the 1965 transaxle. Also, you should inspect your Corsa to make sure that you have all of the original clutch and shift linkage assembly. You would need the clutch assembly and bell housing from the turbocharged engine to convert back to the manual transmission, and would have to transfer the bell housing and clutch assembly (including the pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft) to convert back. The front bracket on the manual transmission would also be needed. I do not know if there are differences between the 1965 and 1966 rear suspension crossmember that would impact the mount if you choose a 1965 transaxle over 1966 transaxle.

Some 140 hp engines were detuned in some years to provide a better match for the two speed Powerglide transmission. It is my understanding that the camshaft timing was offset somewhat in some engines that were mated to the Powerglide transmission. The engine serial number (to the right of the alternator and in front of the oil filter adapter) may help in determining the nature of your 140 hp engine. The cylinder head casting members can also provide a valuable clue.

Examples...

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

There are three CORSA club chapters listed in Indiana. Here's some contact information, if you are interested…

Image Circle City Corvairs, P.O. Box 17325, Indianapolis, IN 46217
:link: http://www.circlecitycorvairs.org eMail: valveclatter@Yahoo.com
The Circle City Corvairs meet on the third Saturday of the month at 10:00 AM in the basement at Hubler Chevrolet, located at 8220 S. US 31 South, Greenwood, IN.
Image Mad Anthony Corvair Club, 5401 Lower Huntington Road. Fort Wayne, IN 46809
:link: http://clubs.hemmings.com/madanthony/, eMail: kcmill@netzero.net

ImageRiver City Corvair Club, 4423 Detroy Rd., Evansville, IN
:link: https://www.facebook.com/RiverCityCorvairs/, eMail: don@darndot.com
Founded in 2007, River City Corvairs meet monthly in different locations across the Tri-State.

President: Larry Benkert
Vice President: Pat Wolf
Secretary: Nancy Peters
:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your earlier post and tell us more about yourself. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your specific location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities. If you can post some additional photographs of your Corvair engine compartment, trunk, etc. we would love to see more of it.

:chevy:
Attachments
1966-Chevrolet-Corvair - GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1966-Chevrolet-Corvair - GM Heritage Center Specs
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

Hello & thanks for the Welcome " Ray & Brad"

I am on the North side of the Ohio, across from Louisville Kentucky.
I have been messin with cars since I was barely a teen, My expertise is in Fabrication & Metal work.

The first pic is a 48 dodge truck I need to finish. lol Kinda lost interest in it. :( It is on a dodge dakota chassi, & I grafted the floor & fire wall from the dakota into the 48. I lengthen the cab 2 feet, & did a 3-ish inch chop. The drive train is a cummins BT4 & Chrysler Diesel Auto trans.

The Second pic is what I do for a living. lol I do Light Mechanics & Custom Exhaust.

Last Pic is of a complete floor pan I installed for a friend last week, in a 1964 Mustang 2+2 fastback V-8 Automatic.
Attachments
IMG_20121208_114510.jpg
IMAG0036.jpg
IMG_20171021_135348.jpg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:tu: Below is some material that might inspire you in the Corvair exhaust system arena. I would bet you might find some interested custom Corvair exhaust system clients on this Forum if you were to tackle some of the designs that are no longer in production...
Apittslife wrote:Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:00 pm

...The Second pic is what I do for a living. lol I do Light Mechanics & Custom Exhaust...

:link: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=9988&p=67886&hilit ... ver#p67886

:link: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=12941&p=89175&hili ... ver#p89175
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

As long as I am dealing with good studs, & flanges I could do any of the exhausts you linked to. On the car, otherwise would have to R&D the various Jigs, & have flanges made ( Header flanges). Mufflers I would have to figure out what will fit, per application.
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

Good afternoon to all,

I finally had the tyme to pull Her out of the ditch She was in, & had Her flat-bedded to the shop.
Took 3 hours to clean Her out, & vacuum the interior out, God was a mess! Pulled out at-least 2 dozen used spark-plugs ,from the rear quarter panels. LOL
So-far, the worst of the rust for me is under the rear seat. Havent pulled the carpet, but will shortly. & from peeking under the car they looked nice & solid. But?? Both engines turn freely, But one or both most likely burned oil, atleast that is my thoughts as to all the used plugs?
Forgot to take pics of the trim tag, & Vin #.

OK, a Question for the Turbo Guys: My Guess for the Mini-Keg in the engine compartment was for a Vacuum canister?
Attachments
IMG_20171104_114919.jpg
IMG_20171104_142847.jpg
IMG_20171104_142923.jpg
IMG_20171104_143108.jpg
IMG_20171104_143138.jpg
IMG_20171104_145728.jpg
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I wonder what the contraption is where the spare tire is supposed to mount. What is the "mini keg" plumbed too?
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

Nothing at the moment, But I am thinking it was used at a vacuum canister when the Turbo engine was in place, so it had vacuum at low RPM's?
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Dunno never seen anything like it. I have seen some odd home brewed water injection systems...perhaps this is one?
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

here is a close up pic of the mini keg:
maybe?
Attachments
IMG_20171104_145741.jpg
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

A Couple more Pics that I was able to take today.

I decoded the trim tag as follows: October first week - Bright-Blue - 66 - Corsa Sport Coupe - Willow Run Michigan - Body # 1010 or 1018 ? - Bright-Blue - Marina Blue ( Solid Color ) - Tinted Windshield - Rear Antenna - Turbo Engine - Deluxe Seat belts.

It had a Manual Transmission, & I believe most if not all of the clutch linkage is present. Shifter assy is MIA. But, If I re-install Turbo engine, it will be behind the PG as I would use a Modern Turbo set-up. I would also have the PG rebuilt to handle the turbo engine.

When I get the chance, my next plan is to get Her on the Lift & take a good look at the under-side. I was able to put a set of wheels on her today, & She rolls very nicely. I also Covered the back-glass area with self sticking Plastic,so the Interior will now be moisture free.
Attachments
IMG_20171106_112249.jpg
IMG_20171106_112401.jpg
IMG_20171106_175459.jpg
Apittslife

Post by Apittslife »

Bit slow today at the shop, So I rolled the car into the shop & put her on the lift. Have one floor pan section that may need replacing? Right Rear Foot-well. other then that the floors are nice. I opened the fuel tank in order to drain the old gas, but found it Dry & Dusty. Cleaned her out best as I could with a shop vac, & replaced the sending unit seal, & installed new Rubber fuel lines where applicable, After blowing out the main fuel line.
Cleared out the Carbs - Checked the oil level, & topped it off. Put a battery in it, & turned the engine over a few tymes. Next couple days I will see if She will make noise.

Here, are the Engine #'s T 1110 RH is the motor that is currently installed.
T 0928 RL is the turbo engine that was the original.

Return to “Introductions”