Hello from Texas

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
draw82

Hello from Texas

Post by draw82 »

I'm excited about the 64' I got from a family friend. It has been on Jack stands for at least 15 years without a cover. I am looking forward to getting some advice as I go along with my project.
Attachments
64'
64'
Floor pan after wire brushing
Floor pan after wire brushing
Floor pan after rust conversion
Floor pan after rust conversion
Jerry Whitt

Re: Hello from Texas

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Looks like a fun project. As questions come up, lots of folks on the fourm will be glad to help.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum! That looks like a relatively rust-free and clean basis for a good project car. Amazing how the floor cleaned up! How does the engine compartment look?
Texas '64.jpg
These links might be helpful to you...

Removing your car from storage/Reviving a Dead Corvair

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=5030

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your earlier post and tell us more about yourself. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your specific location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities. If you can post some additional photographs of your Corvair engine compartment, trunk, etc. we would love to see more of it.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
draw82

Post by draw82 »

I will be moving to El Paso, Tx in January. Currently living in Lawton, OK. I have basic knowledge of mechanical repair. I have done transmission and engine swaps on cars, trucks, and boats. I have zero knowledge on body work, rear engine, or air cooled motors.
Attached are a few more pictures. After repairing the rust in the trunk, I slapped some gloss spray paint to prevent further rusting until I can do it the right way. The motor turns over (by hand on main pulley) and i am currently cleaning the carbs.
I have no idea about the rusted out duct between the floor vent and defrost hose. Can I get them out?
Attachments
Rust in trunk
Rust in trunk
Gloss paint to prevent further rusting.
Gloss paint to prevent further rusting.
Engine compartment
Engine compartment
Rusted out ducts.
Rusted out ducts.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

If you are interested, there is a CORSA club chapter listed in El Paso, but they do not list a website. There is one name listed on the CORSA directory for that club chapter... Doug Tompkins as the club secretary. I was able to find an address and phone number for him using an Internet directory, and I have included that unconfirmed information below.

Desert Corvair Club P.O. Box 220108, El Paso, TX
Secretary
Douglas L Tompkins
5125 Camino De La Vista Dr
El Paso TX 79932-2201

Phone: (915) 581-8017
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
guru_1071

Post by guru_1071 »

isn't it strange that your corvair looks virtually perfect, sheet metal wise, yet the 'J pipes' have rotted.

my, identically blue, corvair is the entire opposite, no floor, front bulkhead hung out of it, c pillers rotten through

guess what.....

yep, the 'J pipes' are perfect!
Trip

Post by Trip »

Very nice car.

I thought that was really strange too! I'd really like to know why that happened. The only thing I can think of is that water was running down the defroster hose, so maybe a big leak at the bottom of the windshield? I'd inspect the bottom of the windshield area under the dash carefully to be safe.

The other likely answer is that the rocker drains got clogged up but that definitely should have caused rust problems to the fender dog-leg and/or rocker panel before it would cause the J-pipe to rot. Very strange indeed.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf

Return to “Introductions”