New Member from Oregon

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Sanman1st

New Member from Oregon

Post by Sanman1st »

Hi, my name is Ed I'm a new member from Coos Bay Oregon, retired here about 3 years ago, love the weather on the south side of town.
Just bought a 1963 Rampside, Why? I have never owned a Corvair and always wanted a Rampside, so I pulled the trigger.
I have serval other cars that I play around with so I'm very familiar with a wrench in my hand.
Looking forward to asking questions and reading topics on this forum.
First question, what is the best way to put a Rampside on a 2 post lift, forward or backward?
Thanks,
Ed
66vairguy

Re: New Member from Oregon

Post by 66vairguy »

Matt Nall is a moderator at the CCF and lives near you. See http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,946553

He should be able to provide some good Corvair contacts for parts, repairs, etc.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Sanman1st wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:14 am First question, what is the best way to put a Rampside on a 2 post lift, forward or backward?
I have a mobile lift so no idea. Never used a 2-post before. I didn't know there was a preference in loading them forward or reverse as long as you have them balanced.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Trip

Post by Trip »

Welcome, and congrats on the Rampy!

As for the lift, I don't know for sure but your Corvair has a significant rear weight bias (hence the low front tire pressure) so you probably would do well to put it on the opposite way you would a front engine car. I assume since you are asking the arms on the two post lift are longer on the rear than the front?
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The answer to your question depends on the design of the two-post lift. The length of the arms (symmetric or asymmetric) has an impact, and the rear weight bias with the rear engine powertrain and the vehicle center of gravity must be considered. The proper lift points for the Corvair 95 (FC) vehicle are shown in the shop manual diagram below, but the manufacturer's instructions that came with the 2-post lift must be followed to load the lift safely.

Corvair 95 Lift Points.jpg
Asymmetric Two Post Lifts Vs. Symmetric Two Post Lifts
:link: http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Asymm ... Post-Lifts
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Sanman1st

Post by Sanman1st »

Hi, my lift is asymmetrical. I put the Rampside on the lift nose first using the points from the lifting point diagram Brad posted, works perfect.
The only problems I noticed was a leak at the electric fuel pump, easy fix and it will need upper a-frame bushings, not so easy of a fix.
Thanks for your help.
Ed

Return to “Introductions”