NM Charlie

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
charles beach

NM Charlie

Post by charles beach »

this is my 4th Vair, a '65 500 Corsa clone. 140 heads and fail safe cam by Starr Cooke, crank case breather, forged pistons, total seal rings, new lifters, 390 CFM Holley 4 barrel, elec fan driven external oil cooler, thermostatically controlled oil diversion, (sends oil back to engine until it heats up), cut off (down) fan, lower tin removed, heads de-flashed, new thermistor, elec point conversion, 8 mm silicone wires, brass dist cap, headers, glass packs, heater fan and tunnel removed, (fair weather car), rear seats remioved heim joint rear strut bars, rebuilt front suspension, 13" front tires, 14" rear end tires, ACCU TECH Tach, crank checked as a for realz 140 nitrated, magnafluxed, stock push rods and connecting rods. drove it to Ruidoso NM and back last week. played a little game with a Jeep. he pulled up beside me and "gassed" his motor while making eye contact. I was already doin' 90. quickly sped up to 100, he catches up, sped up to 110, he catches up, up to 120, he just can't quite keep up. I floor it, hit 130 as measured by my phones GPS APP and leave him in the dust. eventually hit traffic and slow down to 85, he finally catches up and gives me a salute, as in "no poser here".
runs at 300 to 375 degrees head temp, oil pressure 25 psi at hi rpm, (does not look good, maybe later add HIPO oil pump), however no detrimental oiling problems so far, got about 3,500 miles since re build. uses a quart very 2 tanks or so.
One of these days I'll grow up, just not yet.
ruidoso trip 003.JPG
chris

Re: NM Charlie

Post by chris »

Charlie, it sounds like you're having fun. I hope you have good tires!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
charles beach

Post by charles beach »

yeah, good tires. my long term/short term goal is to participate in the Salt Lake Flats. For a relatively small fee you can run your street legal car and if you run over 130 mph you get a certificate saying so. Less than 130 you get squat. I can run 130 on asphalt, probably not on salt. Done about all I can without turbocharging. bit of a standstill.
rfw66

Post by rfw66 »

Very detailed on your engine build, Charlie. Thanks! Many owners ask what they can do to improve their HP. You’ve give a blueprint of one way to go without them having to do any reasearch!
Cruze on!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe
toytron

Post by toytron »

Charlie, don't grow up or else you will have to sell your corvair.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza

Return to “Introductions”