'66 Monza

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Delaney

'66 Monza

Post by Delaney »

Hi! Just bought a '66 Corvair Monza as a restoration project with my friend, is in pretty rough shape, & is my first restoration, his 3rd. We are discussing possibilities of converting to a mid engined V8. Any suggestions ie where to get conversion kit would be appreciated. Thanks
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: '66 Monza

Post by Scott H »

:welcome2:

There's one for sale here.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1144
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

Great, thanks for that. Will look into it & see if we're going to go ahead with that. Will keep you posted!

Paul
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

...Just checked the link & the kit is incomplete. I'm abit out of my depth here, not sure how easy the discontinued missing parts [Transaxle Mount Kit (C8707), Plug (C8706)] would be to track down so don't know if this is worth getting at this stage. I'm just outside Ottawa, in Ontario, Canada and there's a Corvair mechanic/enthusiast here (who's selling us the Monza) so i'll ask him for advice.

Thanks -Paul
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

The plug you mention is not always used. I have seen many cars without this item. It may be mostly an appearance item.
That part has been unavailable for quite a long time but if you really wanted one, it could possibly be machined by a local shop to fit the application. JMO
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The transaxle mount kit C8707 is nothing more than angle steel and bolts. I can be easily fabricated with hand tools if the basic dimensions were known. (I am sure the dimesions are available and in fact they would likely be self evident during installation of the crown set up.) Three of pieces of angle are used to hold the rear of the differential located in the car. They basically bolt on to the engine mounting flange of the diff. They are quite visible and angle steel looks lousy. It is also not adjustable. I prefer Heim joint or similar ball end adjustable rods here both for look and function.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

Ted,
Thanks for the clarification and input.

The parts I have are enough to actually build a car with. I had planned on a 4.3 V6 mid engine car.
That way I could have the dependability of the transaxle rotating as it should with the Crown Kit but maintain the leg room that my old Kelmark car afforded me.

The realization finally hit me that this will likely never happen so I decided to make the kit available to someone that would use it.

My asking price is what I paid for the parts years ago and at the time I was happy to get them for that price.

I was planning on making my own mount kit as I agree it is easy to make. I was also planning on removing the throw out bearing sleeve from the differential and machine a filler for the hole so these parts were not important to me.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

Wow, ok... I can see i've definitely come to the right place for advice. I'm WAY out of my depth here but just bought a book on Corvair V8's so will do my homework. Luckily my friend i'm restoring it with knows alot more than me & as I said earlier, we will have help from the mechanic we bought it from. I'll figure out the gameplan & be in touch. Thanks guys!!

Paul
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

So, where in the world is Carmen SanDiego...er...Delaney? :P I'd love to find a new member joining here that has a project and is near me. That way I could get a bit of a Corvair "fix" (pun intended) by helping someone with theirs until the spring when I get to buy mine.

Return to “Introductions”