Another new member from PA

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
dwaldrich

Another new member from PA

Post by dwaldrich »

Thanks for the add! My name is Duane and live in near Hellam in York, PA.

When I was 16 (1981) I lived in Maryland and I had a scout leader friend that was into Corvairs and after seeing one of his I decided I wanted one for my first car. I scraped together some money and had him help me check out the car I found. It was a '68 coupe 500 in good shape. It ran but needed some work. He taught me a lot about those little cars while I fixed it up. I joined the Baltimore CORSA club and had a great time. Even taking 2nd in one of the local shows. A few years later on my way back from college, the engine died and I was under a time constraint so I towed it home behind a U-Haul where it sat for a couple years. After getting married and the kids came along I figured I didn't have the time or money to keep it. So, I gave it to that friend that got me started.

That was back in 1988. I got a call a couple weeks ago out of the blue. It was my old friend Mr. Goodman. He still had my old Corvair and he was downsizing his collection and wanted to know if I wanted my old car back! Well, who could pass that chance up so, she now sits at my home in York, PA and its still titled in my name, how cool is that? Now to get her running and start bringing her back to life.

Thanks again for the add. I'm also going to need to find the closest Corsa Chapter.

Duane
Attachments
2017-09-07 12.44.04.jpg
2017-09-07 12.44.38.jpg
2017-09-07 12.46.20.jpg
2017-09-07 12.46.35.jpg
2017-09-07 12.47.02.jpg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Another new member from PA

Post by bbodie52 »

::-): :wave: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

Let's see… In 1981, being 16 was a long way behind me in my Corvair rear-view mirror! I was 28 years old, had been married for nine years, had two young sons, and was stationed with the USAF in Southwest Germany near Kaiserslautern and Ramstein Air Base. We had two Corvairs with us… a 1965 Corsa convertible and a 1965 Corsa coupe (shown below).

ImageImage

We had been in the Air Force since the end of 1972. Germany was my fourth assignment with the Air Force, following Georgia, South Korea, and Massachusetts. We always had at least one Corvair with us (except when I was in Taegu, South Korea, which was an unaccompanied assignment so I had to leave my family and my Corvair back in Georgia). Please excuse my reminiscing, but I was trying to place my location and age during the timeframe you are talking about.

My last Air Force assignment was near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, at Fort Indiantown Gap. I retired from the Air Force in 1996 and started a job as a computer technician and network administrator with Pennsy Supply and Harrisburg. We lived in Pennsylvania from 1993 until 2008, when we moved to North Carolina to assist my aging father, who had turned 85 and needed some family support.

So that engine is not been running since about 1986, and the car has been sitting in mothballs at a friend's house since 1988. Now your "lost sheep" has returned home. Do you have any idea about the nature of the failure with your engine? Is there anything we can do on the Corvair Forum to assist you with troubleshooting and refreshing your Corvair to bring it back to life?

The link below may be of some help bringing your Corvair back to life. But I suspect some extra guidelines in troubleshooting your engine might also be helpful.

Removing your car from storage/Reviving a Dead Corvair
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=5030

You might find the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania to be helpful. They are only about 15-30 miles from your location in York and may be very helpful with bringing your Corvair back to life. They can also probably point you in the right direction for contacting the nearest CORSA club chapter in your area. You should check them out.

:link: http://www.corvairranch.com/

1079 Bon-Ox Road, ​Gettysburg, ​PA. 17325 USA
​Phone: 717-624-2805
fax us by the same number... ask us to hook up the machine
​Email: findit@theranch.today
Our hours are Monday thru Friday 9 to 5, Saturday 9 to 12
or contact us for an appointment.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Also, do you have a garage to work in and hand tools, jack stands and a floor jack, etc. to support a restoration project? Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
dwaldrich

Post by dwaldrich »

I haven't had a chance to thoroughly check the engine out. He did change the engine and swapped the 3sp for a 4sp trans and he had it running at one time and he thinks the engine should be OK. I checked the engine and it is a 110. Otherwise, I've only pulled the plugs and soaked the cylinders with wd40, then turned the engine once around by hand but the starter is stuck so my next thing is to crawl under and give that starter a kick or two with a hammer to see if I can free it before changing it.

As for my background, I have a college certificate in auto mechanic service but decided I didn't want to do that for a living. So I went into electro-mechanical assembly before eventually becoming a Computer/ Data Center technician and have been at that for 29 years. As for auto experience, I do all my own repairs and I've rebuilt 2 small block Chevy V8s over the years, one was a school project, and one later that was installed in a '69 Firebird that I later sold. I have most of the tools I need, but no garage at this time. So, I just have to make sure everything is semi put away or covered each night.

I think my closest CORSA chapter is in Dauphin near Harrisburg, but the link from the national site doesn't work. Hopefully they're still around. If there's somebody in the York or Lancaster, PA area that could confirm or point me to the local club that would be great!

Duane Aldrich
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

If you can get away to attend, it appears that the CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA CORVAIR CLUB will be hosting their annual CORVAIR DAYS in Hershey, PA in just a few days...

Corvair Days Central Pennsylvania Corvair Club Show

Date: Saturday, September 23, 2017
Time: 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.

View a unique part of American history at the Corvair Days Event. This Corvair-only show is hosted by the Central PA Corvair Club on the AACA Museum grounds. Attendees can enjoy the people’s choice car show, awards, door prizes, scavenger hunt in the museum, food, refreshments, vendors, evening banquet, and much more. Registration includes admission to the museum.
:link: http://www.aacamuseum.org/corvair-days- ... ub-show-2/

09/23/2017
08:00 AM

Antique Auto Museum
161 Museum Dr.
Hershey, PA 17033

Rain date: Sunday, September 24th.

For additional information contact Earl Holmes, 717-991-7341 or email at earlzgames@comcast.net.

There is much to see there, in addition to the Corvair displays. Considering your history with Chevy V8s and Pontiacs, their Camaro and Firebird display may interest you. The innovative 1948 Tucker (rear air-cooled engine, independent suspension, etc.) should be of interest to all Corvair aficionados.

Tucker Automobiles: The Cammack Collection
Layout: An air-cooled flat-6, rear engine, rear-wheel drive, 4-wheel independent suspension (Sound Familiar?)
:link: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6062&p=41427&hilit=Cammack#p41427
ImageImageImage
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

Duane,

Welcome to the site. :welcome2:

The Hershey Show mentioned in the above reply usually has a good turnout with a good mix of early and late vehicles and several folks selling parts.

If you have not been to the AACA Museum in a few years, be sure to check out their collection. They now have a very nice Tucker display as well as Corvairs in the building.

This would be a great place to meet many local owners and possibly get the Club information you are looking for. :my02:

I am planning on attending again this year.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
notched

Post by notched »

I had bought some engines off Mr Goodman several years back and looked at that car. I recognized it as soon as you posted the picture
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National

Return to “Introductions”