New to Corvair- Help with compression.

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
bjscales

New to Corvair- Help with compression.

Post by bjscales »

Hello all

I have recently been in charge of working on a friends 62 Corvair Greenbrier to keep it running for them. Main issue is the compression.

Cylinders 2-6 are reading 120-130 psi, Cylinder one is reading 45. I have not done a leak down test yet unfortunately but plan to soon to get a understanding if it is the rings or the valves. The engine has a metallic clanking that has me worried! I have not been able to find where the noise is originating from or if it is a normal sound that the van makes all the time. It does eat oil more than expected to the point we always have extra in the van just in case. A little history- it was bought cosmetically restored and with some work to make sure it is running. At one point in out possession it was being driven low on oil to the point the performance was way down (acceleration was bad, smoke seamed to pour out a crank case vent?) when motor oil was added the issues were resolved but I fear some damage was done internally that we are not focusing on enough. The starter has frayed wires that stopped it from starting for a while so it sometimes spends a month or two sitting and then a month or two being driven every other day for several hours and miles.

I am new to this vehicle and carburetors in general so I'm not sure how bad i am explaining things.. Sorry =/

Questions...

1. Is the cylinder an urgent issue that would be cause for not driving the van until it is fixed? we have not had any alarming issues show up around the cylinder but want to make sure.
2. Rebuilding- can just that one cylinder be replaced or would all of them have to be worked on?
3. The metallic noise. Is this something that this engine does or is it something to look into very soon?

Thanks you for any help
Brandon.
terribleted

Re: New to Corvair- Help with compression.

Post by terribleted »

The metallic noise very well may be related to the very low compression in #1, and NO Corvair engines do not normally have metallic rattles. Have you removed the right side valve cover and inspected #1 rocker arm and valve spring etc? If not do so immediately to try to isolate the issue. I would say it is never good to drive a vehicle with a dead cylinder. You are simply asking for more engine damage than exists already. Yes cylinder piston rod assemblies can be serviced individually.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bjscales

Re: New to Corvair- Help with compression.

Post by bjscales »

Thank you!!! I will tackle this weekend and update.

You rock
Brandon

Return to “Introductions”