66 corvair conv

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
monzadon

66 corvair conv

Post by monzadon »

I just purchased this 66 corvair conv and am in the process of restoring it, the motor for the top is not hooked up and it looks like there is suppose to be a right and left cable like a speedo cable that goes to drive gear boxes on each side, all the info I have found always talks about hydraulic pump and cylinders mine doesn't have anything like that, it is all mechanical with a electric motor and gear boxes, does anybody know anything about this kind of pwr top?
dave t

Re: 66 corvair conv

Post by dave t »

The early models have a hydrolic

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

dave t

Post by dave t »

Sorry,
The early models have a hydrolic top. Late models have mechanical tops. The motor, transmission and cables are all available to repair your power top. Disconnect your cables and test your motor to see where the problem might be. Remove the cables and Chuck them up in a drill to make sure they are working properly and not jammed. I am sure others will chime in with links to download manuals. My opinion. You should get a copy of the shop manual and factory assembly manual. They are a wealth of knowledge. Do your tests and give us your report.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters, if they exist in your area. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

This section of the 1966 Fisher Body Service Manual may be useful when working with your power top mechanism...
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - ELECTRIC FOLDING TOP - CORVAIR.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - ELECTRIC FOLDING TOP - CORVAIR
(722.15 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
:chevy:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Clark's online catalog page 295 shows top parts, motors & cables. Link to catalog http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/pages.c ... ne_catalog Click the image to enlarge.
Attachments
295.jpg
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
monzadon

Post by monzadon »

Thank you for the info about my conv top.It is really helpful, now I just need to find the wiring for the motor it seems to be missing and I need to check the motor out but I don't know which wire to connect to the positive side of the battery
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The wiring for the top motor actually runs beneath the car under the package area where the motor is mounted. Perhaps you can find something there above the transmission.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
monzadon

Post by monzadon »

Thanks I'll look for the wiring there

Return to “Introductions”