New Member that missed the boat home.

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Shonan

New Member that missed the boat home.

Post by Shonan »

Thank you folks for the approval and the hours of reading your post. Lots of good information and tips for the future. I just bought a 1963 turbo convertible that will be on ship heading to Okinawa soon. As you can imagine this will have it's challenges but hopefully any answers I can't come up with, you folks can lead me in the right direction.

So Bodie won't beat me around the head and shoulders; I am ex-navy engineer,electrical being my strong point but have dealt with almost every machine that makes things go forward and usually pretty fast. With a tech manual and a few pictures, I can usually tackle anything and not worry about if I am going to destroy something. Doesn't mean it hasn't happen.. :doh: Having done all my ships out of Japan, I am kind of use to having spare parts on hand and looking at things closely and catching them before they fail. Even before the car gets here, I will have a spare fuel pump, belts,filters and list goes on. Of course all the manuals you folks have recommended in various post.

I have owned a few vintage VW's,Mustangs, Corvettes and a few rice burners and my next learning experience is Corvairs. Like the others cars I have owned, they have a great story behind them and passionate people who love the cars. Plus some of you folks have great sea stories and us navy guys love a good sea story. My project will not be a fast runner ( been there, done that, have the t-shirt and empty bank account to prove it) , just want almost original car that I can drive on the weekend, and have 50,000 tourist go .."what was that?"

Well thanks again..this should be interesting.
Jerry Whitt

Re: New Member that missed the boat home.

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Welcome to the Forum. Hope we can help as the various questions arise.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum! I don't know what else to say!

I used to own a 1963 turbo convertible back in 1970, and drove it to high school every school day. It was a lot of fun, and I hope to own another early model Corvair in the future. I loved my 1963 Corvair Spyder, and I hope you have a great time with yours! i hope you will post a lot of pictures of your Corvair in Okinawa when you get it settled there.

When I was in the Air Force I always liked working with the Navy. They generally had a "can do" attitude and would tackle any problem or challenge with a positive attitude. I think that serving in the Navy instills that kind of survival instinct in their people. Your Corvair should be right at home in your capable hands!

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Shonan

Post by Shonan »

Bodie thanks brother. I don't if it was "survival instinct" so much as I am 8,000 miles to the nearest parts store and if I don't get it running I will be late for the next beer run. Amazing thing I can do with duct tape, clothes hanger,RTV, super glue and o-ring kit. I did notice you did sometime in Germany. I was an Army Brat out of Frankfurt that actually joined the navy there in 79. Drove my Dad crazy..:D

Anyway I will post pictures later.
Shonan

Post by Shonan »

8738294-1963-chevrolet-corvair-monza-std-c (1).jpg
8738301-1963-chevrolet-corvair-monza-std-c.jpg
8738345-1963-chevrolet-corvair-monza-std-c.jpg
8738347-1963-chevrolet-corvair-monza-std-c.jpg
8738350-1963-chevrolet-corvair-monza-std-c (1).jpg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:coolphotos: :clap: :eek: :whoa:

WOW!
Shonan wrote:Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:39 pm

...I don't if it was "survival instinct" so much as I am 8,000 miles to the nearest parts store and if I don't get it running I will be late for the next beer run. Amazing thing I can do with duct tape, clothes hanger, RTV, super glue and o-ring kit...
You made it sound like your Corvair was in desperate need of some serious restoration work... and then you posted pictures of a very fine example of a 1963 Spyder! You sure found a beauty to take home with you!!

I would like to make one recommendation regarding your electrical system in your 1963 Corvair. When I looked at your engine compartment, I noticed a discrepancy in the way that the battery ground connections had been wired. There are normally two ground connections that are needed in the Corvair. This is because the engine and transaxle are suspended by three rubber engine mounts — two in the front on either side of the transmission and one in the center-rear, near the crankshaft pulley. The rubber mounts are intended to provide some degree of isolation between the vibration of the engine and the car chassis. However, these rubber mounts also cause an electrical isolation between the powertrain and the car chassis.

In the 1963 Corvair engine compartment wiring diagram, you will see a 6 gauge heavy cable connected from the battery positive terminal to the starter motor, and a thinner 12 gauge wire that is connected to the voltage regulator. The thicker cable is necessary to carry the heavy current draw to the starter motor. All of the remaining electrical support for the entire car is carried by the thinner 12 gauge wire. Electrically, it is important to maintain the same current carrying capability on the negative side of the battery. In other words, the thicker ground cable needs to be bolted to the engine, and the thinner ground wire should be connected to the car chassis. The same heavy current demand of the starter motor must have an equivalent ground return path back to the battery negative terminal. (This dual ground is actually reflected in the 1965 shop manual schematic). The car chassis ground only needs to be the equivalent of the wire that carries the current to the remainder of the car electrical accessories (12 gauge or greater). In your case, the thicker cable is only connected to the car chassis and there is no ground cable connected to the engine. Because the starter motor and alternator charging system are both grounded to the engine, the thick cable should be connected to the engine, and a thinner wire would be sufficient for the separate chassis ground.

The picture below shows an original braided style flat ground cable that was originally used in the early Corvairs. This cable was daisy-chained from the battery negative terminal to the car chassis and then on to the engine. It provided the heavy ground needed for the return path from the starter motor. In later Corvairs a two wire ground cable similar to the other example cable was utilized. This arrangement is appropriate as long as the thicker cable is connected to the engine.
Incorrect Ground
Incorrect Ground
Ground Cable Options
Ground Cable Options
EM Corvair Grounding
EM Corvair Grounding
1963 Corvair Engine Compartment Wiring.jpg
Brad Bodie
Shonan

Post by Shonan »

Okay..maybe I undershot the condition of it.. :tongue: Underside looks pretty good too but I think suspension might need some work since previous owner just did top side work. To tell you the truth, I think it was always someone else doing the work. Anyone that puts that much effort in keeping a car this condition and has no stories to tell about the car must have never had his hands dirty or sweating like a pig. I know anyone on this forum who was going to sell their baby, would have a ton of stories about the work they put in to it. The owner always referred to his Corvair ace mechanic. Which we can assume wasn't too much of an ace since he screwed up the battery wiring... :think: That will get fixed quickly once it gets here. Thanks for the advice..
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

It looks as if the ground is wired correctly, they used a red cable from the body to the motor. In the picture it looks almost like part of the positive cable, but you can see that it is connected at the body bolt.
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The battery is not exactly the correct battery for this car, as the positive terminal is on the left side (red cable). The red cable is perhaps a little long, but it snakes its way to the left, and then back toward the starter (its path to the starter solenoid cannot be seen in the photo). The thin red wire is routed to the voltage regulator — where it provides power for the car electrical. The ground cable is black and starts on the right side of the battery, and is bolted to the chassis. it does not connect to the engine at all. (It needs to be extended to the engine to provide the correct engine ground connection).
Brad Bodie
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

:welcome2:
That's a sweet '63 Spyder. I hope she arrives in her new home safely. Having a Corvair in Japan sure is going to get quite the response from people. I can't wait to hear the stories.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
toytron

Post by toytron »

Hey you make sure that car goes with you when your tour is over! She is a beauty.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
Shonan

Post by Shonan »

Ed, did my 20 and retired here. So it is here to stay unless my son who is a little stuck on Mustangs, Camaros and the Datsun Z cars right now, doesn't take to this car. Then I will find a young Serviceman to ensure it makes home and get the care it needs. But I think once I get him in the car and do a few miles he will change his mind.
toytron

Post by toytron »

Well congratulations and thank you for your service.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
Shonan

Post by Shonan »

Finally arrived in Okinawa and out of Customs Jail. One thing that is common no matter where you go..the speed in which government workers function at. 10 days to get this baby out of the container. Now next journey the Vehicle Inspection.
Attachments
IMG_1479[1].JPG
IMG_1480[1].JPG
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

Love the color combo! :tu:
Trip

Post by Trip »

Pretty awesome to have a 'Vair (and a Spyder at that) in Japan! Corvairs get a ton of attention state-side, I can only imagine the reactions you will get! Welcome to the Corvair community.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf

Return to “Introductions”