Corvair in Austria (Europe)

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Danny Joe

Re: Corvair in Austria (Europe)

Post by Danny Joe »

You can also check the VIN against the hidden VIN on the frame to verify.
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
TomReinmueller

Post by TomReinmueller »

Thx for the pics Roman..exactly where in Austria is your Corvair? I was born in Mureau Styrmark...
hugofant

Post by hugofant »

Hi Tom,
i'm living about 50km northeast from Vienna...have been in Styria several times for holiday, but never in Murau - but it looks nice from the pictures. Maybe I'll do a short trip there in near future.

best regards
Roman
TomReinmueller

Post by TomReinmueller »

R u going to drive the Corvair there? when u go?
hugofant

Post by hugofant »

Hi,
don't think so, as Covair needs some work till it can be registered....
TomReinmueller

Post by TomReinmueller »

:pray: Hey Roman..its your Austrian buddy from the other side of the pond...im looking at getting a project fixer upper car for this winter..tell me what you think?
Attachments
IMG_4390.jpg
IMG_4393.jpg
IMG_4394.jpg
TomReinmueller

Post by TomReinmueller »

Hey Hugo, im thinking of getting this project car..what do you think?
Attachments
IMG_4390.jpg
IMG_4393.jpg
IMG_4394.jpg
zbiker

Post by zbiker »

Hi Hugo, is your Corvair already back on the road? Maybe we can meet someday. Cheers Carl
Attachments
IMG_20180906_130453_410 - Kopie.jpg
hugofant

Post by hugofant »

Hi Carl,
paint job is finished but technically there's still some work to do....so i think it will take until next year to be back on the road again.

br
Roman
COR66

Post by COR66 »

Hi Roman, here is Alexander from Vienna - so we are at least two Corvair owners in or around Vienna, I have a 1966 Coupe since last year and still very happy every time I go for a ride and of course, have to admit, do enjoy the admiring comments I receive. Servus, Alexander
Attachments
IMG_4845.jpg
IMG_4973.jpg
nedgead

Post by nedgead »

Hi all, I am considering bringing a Corvair from the US as part of my move back to Vienna - did you have huge issues getting the registration done in Austria? Can somebody help give some hints what needs to be done?? Any help appreciated!! Oliver
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome, Oliver, to the Corvair Forum! When I was stationed near Ramstein Air Base in southwestern Germany in 1980 I remember that my Corvairs (1965 Corsa convertible and 1965 Corsa coupe) each had to pass a detailed vehicle mechanical inspection at the port at Bremerhaven. If it did not pass I would have to successfully get it repaired before I could register the car and have it released to drive it in Germany. Of course your effort will likely be more complicated. There were some lighting changes I had to make to comply with German laws, such as adding a 4-way emergency flasher to the Corvair, which did not originally have one. What year and model will you be shipping?

Since the cost of importing and shipping any repair parts from America to most European countries can be time-consuming and expensive, I would strongly suggest that you make any needed repairs before you ship the car.

:think: :dontknow: I would think some of the major vehicle shippers/importers might have some of the information you are looking for to plan taking a Corvair back to Austria. They should be able to tell you where the closest seaport is that would be used to bring your Corvair to Europe, and what you will have to do at the port and your options for having it transported or driven the remainder of the way to its final destination in Austria. They may also have information on passing a vehicle inspection and the documentation needed for registering it in Austria. Hopefully this will help you to anticipate your needs for passing inspection and for Austrian registration and licensing, so that yo can anticipate any problem areas and get them taken care of before you ship the car.

Image :link: https://english.bmf.gv.at/customs/impor ... l-use.html
Importing a Vehicle for Personal Use

Image :link: https://www.schumachercargo.com/at/car- ... stria.html
Car Shipping to Austria
Shipping a car to Austria involves the same required steps as shipping to many other EU countries in terms of the preparation and documentation. Additionally, due to its geographic location you will have a few choices which port of entry to use and we will always recommend the best option for your particular shipment. The reason being is that Austria is landlocked, so it does not have direct port access. However, as mentioned, anyone that wants to ship a car to Vienna or another destination in Austria will be able to choose from any European base port that they prefer.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
nedgead

Post by nedgead »

Thanks!
I#m looking at a 64 spyder coupe.
I have the shipment organized, as we are moving also our furniture and other household.

<i#m worried about registration a bit - lights <i already thought of - <i hoped some of the austrians might help with some of their experience..

I also rached out to an importer for registration - obviously he needs to be paid for his service

Return to “Introductions”