61 Monza Rebuild

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
MikeMo61

61 Monza Rebuild

Post by MikeMo61 »

Hello,

I am reaching out to ask or gain some information and was wondering if anyone could help.

I live in Clovis, Ca. I have a 1961 Monza Coupe. It was my dad's first car ( 1 owner) and he drove it off the showroom floor back in 1961. 20 years ago my dad and I rebuilt the car ( engine, wiring harness, paint, etc). I drove it all through high school and brought it to college here in Fresno. The engine blew years ago. Piston arm went through the block, fan, etc. Quite the mess. I was just getting out of college at the time and had no money or time to fix it. Luckily, I had garage space so I just parked it. 15 years later and 3 kids later, I am ready to get it back running so I can take my dad for another ride.

My dad had done some minor modifications to the engine. I bet no one will have seen this set up. He modified the manifolds and carbs on it. I have (6) 1-barrel carbs on it. Custom linkage, etc. Dual exhaust pipes. Pretty cool to see.

I am going to rebuild the car to its glory. Luckily, my dad had several spare engines and parts. I have since raided my dad's part collection and have brought all the parts to my house in Clovis. I have a block, crank, cam, etc. Will need new pistons and minor items ( gasket kits, etc.). Over the years we have bought from Clarks or Underground.

I need some work done on the block. I was hoping to take the block to a shop to be assembled, aligned, install the crank and cam. Crank and cam will need to be cleaned up and polished. After that, I can do all the other work myself except maybe the exhaust pipes. This sucker is louder than a Harley currently, so I am going to have to have an exhaust shop create something quieter.

Step 1 is getting the block done, so I can get the engine back in the car and get it moving again. Is there a shop in the Fresno area that anyone could recommend that would or could do this block work?

Step 2, 3, 4......
Changing to Disc brakes, generator to alternator conversion, paint, etc. all of this I can do. Hopefully car show ready within 2 years, is my goal.

Any advice you could share on a good shop to do the block work in the Fresno area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike Morris
Clovis, CA
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 61 Monza Rebuild

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: :clap: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

My family also started with a brand-new 1961 Corvair Monza that my parents purchased in San Jose California. I was about eight years old at the time. My parents later upgraded to a new 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible, which I drove for many years while stationed in locations throughout the United States and in Germany while I served in the US Air Force. At age 64 my wife and I still enjoy owning our 1966 Corsa convertible.

I think many of us would love to see pictures of your Corvair and of those modified cylinder heads. Three carburetors mounted on each intake manifold? Are the carburetors stock Corvair Rochester H carburetors, or some other brand? Do you plan on continuing to use those heads as a basis for your rebuilt engine?

Unless the aluminum cases that you're planning to use had been physically damaged, a thorough cleaning and inspection is usually all that is needed in preparation for an engine build. As long as all of the threads are intact in the aluminum cases and the studs are in good condition and secure they should be ready to receive a fresh set of bearing inserts. The crankshaft should be inspected by a machine shop and the journals measured to ensure that they are within specifications. Appropriate bearings should be purchased and clearances can be measured and checked using Plastigage. The procedures for inspecting and preparing the engine cases and measuring clearances with the crankshaft are covered in the shop manual. A new camshaft, aluminum timing gear and lifters might be appropriate, and if you are planning on retaining the custom carburetors and dual exhaust, a different performance grind on the camshaft that is chosen might be appropriate to take advantage of that extra breathing offered by the carburetors and dual exhaust. Of course, the small valves found in all heads (other than the 140 hp big valve heads) would be a limiting factor. If the car is to be a "daily driver" the camshaft selected should be a mild performance cam that would produce an engine that is useful for use on the street.

There were many upgrades and modifications made by Chevrolet in the years after 1961. In late 1961 the distributor design was changed — making the 1960-61 early distributor obsolete. Fitting the later design to your engine is a simple bolt in, with no engine modifications needed. Using the later design will make obtaining replacement components such as the distributor cap, rotor, points and condenser, etc. easier. If you desire it, an electronic breakerless ignition system using a magnetic or optical trigger can be fitted to the new distributor design. There is also an aftermarket distributor available that would allow you to utilize a brand-new distributor that is already fitted with an electronic (magnetic pulse trigger) distributor. Either approach would provide your engine with increased reliability, and the aftermarket distributor is more tunable to allow you to develop better timing options — especially if you plan on retaining that custom carburetor arrangement.

New (1962-69) and Old (1960-61) Corvair Distributors
New (1962-69) and Old (1960-61) Corvair Distributors

Corvair Blower Fan Designs.jpg

:link: https://www.perfvair.com/stinger-ignition-distributors/

The cylinder bore did not change between 1961 and 1969, but the crankshaft stroke was increased in 1964 to increase the engine displacement from 145 CI to 164 CI. The road draft tube that is found on the 1961-62 engine was replaced by a Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system in 1963. The PCV system provides better crankcase ventilation and reduces sludge and oil contamination. You might consider it to be a worthwhile upgrade from the 1961 design. Also, in 1964 a magnesium cooling fan replaced the heavy steel cooling fan found on earlier engines. This lightweight magnesium fan reduces stress on the fan belt, by making it easier for the large diameter cooling fan to track engine speed changes. The result was a reduced occurrence of broken or flipped fan belts. The 1964 magnesium blower will bolt directly on the bearing hub found in the earlier engines. 1965-69 engines utilized a larger fan bearing hub, so magnesium fans from those years would require a replacement bearing hub to match. The use of VITON rubber gaskets, seals and O rings generally produced an engine that was well sealed and seldom developed oil leaks. So your new gasket set can incorporate the new seal material, which will also improve engine reliability.

Upgrading to an alternator is also a possibility, but if your generator is in good condition there is really no reason to change it. Make sure that the bearing cups have been lubricated and follow the generator polarizing procedure that is outlined in the shop manual.

The 1961 brake master cylinder design was abandoned and change significantly in 1962. The master cylinder remained as a single master cylinder until 1967. In that year a dual master cylinder was fitted. The dual master cylinder upgrade can be easily done on 1962 and later Corvairs, but the unique mount found in 1960-61 Corvairs generally does not allow for an easy upgrade of the master cylinder. Should you decide to retain the drum brakes in your 1961, the components can be upgraded to include the automatic adjusters that were fitted in later model years. The aging brake fluid should be thoroughly flushed and replaced. Internal swelling sometimes occurs in older flexible brake lines, so it may be desirable to install new flexible brake lines in your Corvair.

1961 was the only model year to utilize a manual choke. But that configuration might be optimum for your custom carburetor arrangement.

The unique size and shape of the original battery is generally obsolete. Click on the link below for some information on an Interstate battery size that is a good fit in the early Corvair battery box. You will also find information there on the charging system polarizing procedure.

:link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... rly#p86880

The Clark's Corvair Parts offer several dual exhaust system options that will fit your 1961 Corvair. A popular extractor design that I used on my first engine rebuild back in 1969 remains a popular choice that also produces a relatively quiet and pleasant exhaust note. Click on the link below for more details and to see other options on a more stock design on previous catalog pages.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=37

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 225&t=6007

I hope you will take the time to post some pictures of your Corvair project and to tell us more of its history and of the interest you and your dad have in this car. Your circumstance with your family as the original owner, and the unique interest that you both had in customizing and restoring this Corvair would certainly make your story worth telling on the Corvair Forum. Good luck with your project. We look forward to following your progress and perhaps offering suggestions from time to time.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Introductions”