New Member in Los Angeles

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
perfectreign

New Member in Los Angeles

Post by perfectreign »

New to Corvairs. Currently looking at our first Corvair. My 17-year-old loves the idea of a rear-engine, rwd car with little to no electronics. As soon as he gets a job, we'll pull the trigger. Currently looking at probably a '65 or '66, preferably a Corsa. Just found there's a Corvair shop near me in Chino. I'll go check it out this weekend.

Looking forward to the adventure.
Kai Ponte - www.perfectreign.com

Image2006 Chevy Avalanche WBH LS

Image 2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: New Member in Los Angeles

Post by bbodie52 »

:tu: :wave: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

Before you commit to any purchase of a Corvair, take your time and explore this forum. There are many posts that offer a wide range of information on the various Corvairs that are available, along with sound advice on making your first purchase. You should establish a realistic budget and try to purchase an example that is in the best condition you can possibly afford. There are numerous CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters in the Los Angeles area. You and your family could join at least one of them and spend time talking with other Corvair owners to learn more about this car and ownership of this car. It is possible that some owners may let you drive their Corvairs so that you can get a feel for them, and begin to narrow your focus on a specific model. If the late-model (1965-1969) appeals to you, try to focus on locating a clean, rust free example that is in good mechanical condition, and will give you time to get to know the car by driving it as you learn to maintain it. Buying a "fixer-upper" to save a little cash upfront can be a serious mistake. New owners tend to overestimate their abilities with little understanding of the work, time, and money that it would take to produce a safe, drivable example. It is easy to get buried in the high cost of restoration while still being far from the final objectives. As money for the project fades, so does motivation. There are numerous unfinished Corvair restoration projects buried in garages, barns, and fields where the owners lost interest and let them rot for 20 or more years — often to the point where they become nothing more than a source for spare parts. Clean Corvairs are not that expensive, when compared to popular classics like early Camaros, Mustangs, Corvettes, etc. Your location in Southern California can be very helpful, as rust and body rot that is promoted by the use of road salt is not a problem in your region. There may also be numerous examples to consider for purchase, and CORSA club members are often willing to offer their experience to help you get more accurate evaluations of any candidates you might be considering. If you find a good candidate, post some detailed photographs and ask your questions here on the Corvair Forum. Take full advantage of getting advice from experienced owners, both here on the Corvair Forum and from local owners in CORSA club chapters in your area.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for the Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:chevy: :welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
perfectreign

Post by perfectreign »

Thank you for the insight. I saw there's a club near me and plan to visit.

So, personal assessment - I am decent with vehicles. I occasionally do my own oil and always check on my vehicles' status. I have a 2006 Chevy Avalanche I maintain that currently has 170k miles. I drove a 2000 Jetta TDI for four years until it reached 240,000 miles and I just didn't want to put a new clutch in. (It only fit me and one of my 6' tall kids.) In fact, I just bought a new ODB II scanner for the Avalanche as my old one died.

I'm learning what I can about the Corvair. I do want to drive a few before I buy. I've seen a few but none have been street worthy. Hence the reason I was lurking here and on the other forum for a few months.

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

There are three clubs in L.A. and one in the Inland Empire, another down in San Diego. Surprisingly a lot of cars for sale on Craigslist are NOT by folks who belong to a local Corvair club.

As other said - take you time. Rust can be an issue as cars show up here from back east or were along the coast. I looked a few rust buckets while looking for my convertible in S. Calif. The LM (65-69) cars had "glue in glass" and the frames can rust badly if the glass was never removed and re-sealed.

Corvairs are great fun, but engine rebuilds are NOT cheap. If you can't get a paper trail to a good rebuilder, don't put much stock in "I rebuilt it". You can rebuild a Corvair engine and do a good job for $2-$3K. A proper professional rebuild will run $4-$5K. Then there is the transaxle. A club member just bought a nice looking car, then found out the transaxle was bad. Not putting you off, just take you time and ask around about a car if possible. There are some nice cars that are ready to go, then there are some real projects. Depends on what you want to do.

Corsa models had either the big valve 140HP engine or the Turbo. The 140HP heads are notorious for dropping valve seats, but it's easy to fix with a deep seat rebuild. Bruce at Engine Machine Services ( 835 W. Olive, Inglewood, CA) does most of the head rebuild work in L.A. and has a good reputation - head rebuilding STARTS at $800.00 a pair and goes up - typically ends up at around $1,000 for a pair.

Dan D. at the SCC club in Torrance has been rebuilding Corvair transmissions for decades on the side.

So there you go.
perfectreign

Post by perfectreign »

Excellent information, thanks! I was planning on driving to California Corvairs in Chino on Saturday to check out what they had - http://californiacorvairparts.com/index.php

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

One thing to keep in mind since you have a 17 year old. 60's cars are not good in a crash compared to more modern cars with airbags, etc. Myself and others I know discussed this and decided we would never let a young inexperienced driver behind the wheel of our old cars. Nothing against young folks, but the numbers don't lie. About half my friends had there "kids" wreak a car in the first two years of driving. In a few cases the modern safety features allowed the kids to walk away unscathed from a bad crash.

In particular - During the 1965 model run Corvair changed from the single piece steering shaft (the steering box is in FRONT of the axle assembly) to a two piece steering column with coupler and a bulkhead re-enforcing plate. This design was used through the 1966 model run. In 1967 the Corvair received the "safety collapsible" steering column. At the least I would avoid the early 65 solid steering shaft cars.

Many install modern seats and shoulder/seat belts.
perfectreign

Post by perfectreign »

Thank you for the reply. (Sorry for the delayed response!)

He probably will be mostly driving my Avalanche for a few years before getting the keys to any project car. The Avalanche is a 2006 and he's been driving that for the past year. It has ABS, airbags, and looks imposing. He also drives my newer '16 Malibu with collision avoidance, parking assist, lane departure warning, rear sensors, and blind spot monitors.

My guess is that we'll obtain a decent vehicle and spend time getting it road worthy. I do plan to install shoulder belts and head restraints.

I still wish my dad had kept his '70 grabber green Boss 302.
But nooooo... he had to get a MGB. Even that he sold for a Chrysler Sebring.

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Your Dad had a '70 grabber green Boss 302! Yeah that would have been nice to have remained in the family.

A Father/Son project car is great and if you like it you can promise it to your son when the time comes.

If you find a car drop me a PM and we'll see if you can make a weekend "Garage Run" that some of the clubs put on. Great place to meet folks and look at another project. Not sure how much work you'll do, or send out. You can ask locals for recommendations on folks that do Corvair work in L.A.
perfectreign

Post by perfectreign »

Will do!

Return to “Introductions”