New 63 spyder owner Calgary

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Outcydaz

New 63 spyder owner Calgary

Post by Outcydaz »

Just saying hello. Excited to finally have a '63 spyder and looking forward to show it when its completed.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: New 63 spyder owner Calgary

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!
Outcydaz wrote:Wed May 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Just saying hello. Excited to finally have a '63 spyder and looking forward to show it when its completed.
The term "when it is completed" bothers me a little. The Corvair Spyder turbocharged engine is somewhat complex, even for experienced Corvair owners. I would not recommend tackling a restoration project alone if you don't have to. I would hope you would take advantage of the experience and expertise found in the Corvair Forum to assist you along the way as you progress with your Spyder. As questions surface during your project, you may find the Corvair Forum to be a useful assistant. I would suggest that you post pictures and tell us more about yourself and your mechanical background. In that way Corvair Forum enthusiasts can tailor their comments and suggestions to your background and experience level.

I realize that Canada is spread out over a vast amount of terrain. There is a CORSA club chapter that is based in British Columbia that might be helpful to you. They have apparently structured their club to take into account a great deal of physical separation between the members. I would suggest contacting them and possibly joining their club chapter. The combination of websites like the Corvair Forum and the Canadian CORSA club can make the task ahead much more enjoyable as you communicate your questions, problems etc. and look for the best approach towards getting your car on the road.

The CORSA club chapter in British Columbia might have some members with leads on a Corvair support in your part of Canada that would serve you well.

Joining CORSA (Corvair Society of America) is another good way to learn more about Corvairs.

CORSA (Corvair Society of America) Chapter Locator
Locating a local CORSA chapter near you can be very helpful, and attending meetings, parties, Corvair shows, etc. can greatly add to the enjoyment of your Corvair
https://www.corvair.org/index.php?optio ... crmSID=3_u

Here is the Canadian CORSA club contact information...

CORSA Chapter Locator - Western Canada CORSA
Chapter ID: WCC
Organization Name: Western Canada CORSA
Street Address (Primary): 1750 Westminster Ave., Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada

Joel Rushworth - President - Vancouver Island regional director, info@westerncanadacorsa.com
Shaun McGarvey - Vice President - Lower Mainland regional director, shaun_mcgarvey@shaw.ca
Dave Beddome - Alberta regional director, dbeddome@shaw.ca
Les Honke - Manitoba regional director, webmaster, corvair@mts.net
Merv Krull - BC Interior regional director, krupross@sunwave.net
Paul McGroarty - Treasurer, pmcgroarty@shaw.ca

Email (Primary): info@westerncanadacorsa.com
Membership Information - Come Join Our Group

Western Canada Corsa currently boasts a membership or of over 150 members with local representation in 6 different regions of Western Canada and associate members from the US Northwest! This combined with our own local email list server and WCC website gives members access to more information resources for Corvairs in Western Canada then is provided by any other organization. Basic membership is FREE so what are you waiting for?

Based on Vancouver Island, this club services the largest geographic area of any Corvair club ( Corsa itself excluded, of course) From the Pacific, east to Manitoba it covers 2,911,268 sq km (approx. 1,124,047 sq mi)

Membership dues are currently FREE for those living in Western Canada, until the next October after you join (this is our FREE TRIAL period) - then we'll ask for $20 (CDN) annually.
This CORSA club in the Northwest USA may also be useful, if you can't find the support you need in Canada...

CORSA Chapter Locator - Inland Northwest Corvair Club
Chapter ID: 990
Organization Name: Inland Northwest Corvair Club
Street Address (Primary): P.O. Box 9689, Spokane, WA 99209-9689
Newsletter Name: Rear Engine Review
Email (Primary): CorvairClub@comcast.net

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Steve62

Post by Steve62 »

Welcome aboard! So, what shape is your Spyder in? What are you working on presently? Share your story with us, and we love photos!
Could be better, could be worse...could be riding in a hearse!
Outcydaz

Post by Outcydaz »

bbodie52 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 3:49 pm :welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!
Outcydaz wrote:Wed May 17, 2017 2:59 pm

The term "when it is completed" bothers me a little. The Corvair Spyder turbocharged engine is somewhat complex, even for experienced Corvair owners. I would not recommend tackling a restoration project alone if you don't have to. I would hope you would take advantage of the experience and expertise found in the Corvair Forum to assist you along the way as you progress with your Spyder. As questions surface during your project, you may find the Corvair Forum to be a useful assistant. I would suggest that you post pictures and tell us more about yourself and your mechanical background. In that way Corvair Forum enthusiasts can tailor their comments and suggestions to your background and experience level.

I realize that Canada is spread out over a vast amount of terrain. There is a CORSA club chapter that is based in British Columbia that might be helpful to you. They have apparently structured their club to take into account a great deal of physical separation between the members. I would suggest contacting them and possibly joining their club chapter. The combination of websites like the Corvair Forum and the Canadian CORSA club can make the task ahead much more enjoyable as you communicate your questions, problems etc. and look for the best approach towards getting your car on the road.

The CORSA club chapter in British Columbia might have some members with leads on a Corvair support in your part of Canada that would serve you well.

Joining CORSA (Corvair Society of America) is another good way to learn more about Corvairs.

CORSA (Corvair Society of America) Chapter Locator
Locating a local CORSA chapter near you can be very helpful, and attending meetings, parties, Corvair shows, etc. can greatly add to the enjoyment of your Corvair
https://www.corvair.org/index.php?optio ... crmSID=3_u

Here is the Canadian CORSA club contact information...

CORSA Chapter Locator - Western Canada CORSA
Chapter ID: WCC
Organization Name: Western Canada CORSA
Street Address (Primary): 1750 Westminster Ave., Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada

Joel Rushworth - President - Vancouver Island regional director, info@westerncanadacorsa.com
Shaun McGarvey - Vice President - Lower Mainland regional director, shaun_mcgarvey@shaw.ca
Dave Beddome - Alberta regional director, dbeddome@shaw.ca
Les Honke - Manitoba regional director, webmaster, corvair@mts.net
Merv Krull - BC Interior regional director, krupross@sunwave.net
Paul McGroarty - Treasurer, pmcgroarty@shaw.ca

Email (Primary): info@westerncanadacorsa.com
Membership Information - Come Join Our Group

Western Canada Corsa currently boasts a membership or of over 150 members with local representation in 6 different regions of Western Canada and associate members from the US Northwest! This combined with our own local email list server and WCC website gives members access to more information resources for Corvairs in Western Canada then is provided by any other organization. Basic membership is FREE so what are you waiting for?

Based on Vancouver Island, this club services the largest geographic area of any Corvair club ( Corsa itself excluded, of course) From the Pacific, east to Manitoba it covers 2,911,268 sq km (approx. 1,124,047 sq mi)

Membership dues are currently FREE for those living in Western Canada, until the next October after you join (this is our FREE TRIAL period) - then we'll ask for $20 (CDN) annually.
This CORSA club in the Northwest USA may also be useful, if you can't find the support you need in Canada...

CORSA Chapter Locator - Inland Northwest Corvair Club
Chapter ID: 990
Organization Name: Inland Northwest Corvair Club
Street Address (Primary): P.O. Box 9689, Spokane, WA 99209-9689
Newsletter Name: Rear Engine Review
Email (Primary): CorvairClub@comcast.net

:welcome:
Thanks for the wealth of information. I'm hoping to get someone with a mechanical background to help me with the project. Most of the body work and initial primer is completed. The interior requires new door panels and carpet.

The engine turns but does not start/run . The previous owner had mentioned the engine was rebuilt by Clark's however i've noticed a small leak. Too scared to force it to run until i know more. Hopefully its not a major problem.

This is my first project car. I've always wanted to start a with a corvair basically because its air cooled and i love the look.

I know a little about cars in theory. In practice though i could only change oil, brakes and do minor electrical work. Thats about it. I will need a lot of help thats for sure.

I decoded the VIN and i'm not sure this car is a spyder(according to prev owner) based on the decoded info it looks like a 900 coupe. Not sure what the difference is but Im ok with it regardless.

Attached are some photos.
Attachments
IMG_1476.JPG
IMG_1477.JPG
IMG_1481.JPG
IMG_1551.JPG
IMG_1552.JPG
Outcydaz

Post by Outcydaz »

Steve62 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 11:28 pm Welcome aboard! So, what shape is your Spyder in? What are you working on presently? Share your story with us, and we love photos!
Thank you.
The car is in relatively good shape. Body and under carriage have no rust. There's very little to no bondo which was a concern.
Its my first restoration project but i'd say most of the hard work has been done. For now ill do the basics. Make sure the interior is clean, install carpets and door panels and have that old car smell gone.

I hope to lower the front slightly with coil-overs and install bigger wheels, hopefully 16's with 215 / 55 tires. So long as no fender rolling is required.
Attachments
IMG_1553.JPG
IMG_1554.JPG
IMG_1555.JPG
Steve62

Post by Steve62 »

Nice! A clean machine.
Could be better, could be worse...could be riding in a hearse!
toytron

Post by toytron »

I like that color interior.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
Krfjkm

Post by Krfjkm »

Nice car! These guys are a great resource for help!

Return to “Introductions”