New member from SE PA

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Ford

New member from SE PA

Post by Ford »

Just bought a 64 Monza convertible. Glad to have a Corvair in the garage again. I had a 66 Corsa convertible for about 15 yrs until my wife convinced me that I had to quit shipping it each time we moved if I wasn't going to have time to work on it. Now I have the time, so now I have a Corvair.
Steve in West Grove, PA

1964 Monza Convertible, white/black, 110/4sp
1962 Monza Wagon, white/red, 102/PG

Long ago:
1966 Corsa Convertible, maroon/black, 140/4sp, A/C
1961 Corvan, blue/gray, 80/3sp
caraholic4life

Re: New member from SE PA

Post by caraholic4life »

Welcome to the forum. :welcome2:

Just in case you are unaware of the Corvair Ranch, it is in Gettysburg Pennsylvania. http://www.corvairranch.com/

This is a 99% Corvair specific shop. To the best of my knowledge this is the primary source of income for the Owner and his employees.

They have a full service shop including mechanical and body repairs, new, reproduction, and used parts that will keep your Corvair going.

I live about forty minutes away from this shop and have dealt with them for several years. I can tell you from personal experience that these folks are genuine Corvair people with the knowledge and experience to help you solve most problems and are as honest as the day is long. :my02:
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
Blue hen

Post by Blue hen »

where are you in pa? My office is in Havertown and I'm on the god forsaken blue route often in my 63 vert.
Ford

Post by Ford »

Thanks for the info on the Corvair Ranch. I'm down near Kennett Square. It'll be awhile before I'm ready for the blue route. I gotta get to know this car better before I take it for more than a ride around the block.
Steve in West Grove, PA

Long ago:
Ford

Post by Ford »

1493776971359.jpg
Steve in West Grove, PA

Long ago:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

I lived in Lebanon, Pennsylvania from 1993 until 2008. I worked at Fort Indiantown Gap until I retired from the Air Force in 1996, and then worked at Pennsy Supply in Harrisburg. I have been around Corvairs since 1961 (I was 8), when my parents bought the first family Corvair — a brand new 1961 Monza coupe. Over the years we have had about ten different Corvairs in our family. In 1970 I owned a 1963 Monza Spyder convertible that was white with a black top and looked very much like your Monza convertible.

In addition to the assistance you will find on the Corvair Forum, joining a local club chapter of CORSA (Corvair Society of America) can put you in touch with a local family-friendly group of Corvair owners. These clubs have monthly meetings and members can offer technical assistance and advice, as well as references to local Corvair-knowledgeable mechanics, body shops in your area, parts suppliers, etc. There are seven CORSA club chapters listed in Pennsylvania, and more in New Jersey, but the clubs listed below would appear to be the closest to you. These clubs also offer car shows, competition events, group scenic drives, technical training, etc.
Philadelphia Corvair Association

:link: http://jtwiley95.wix.com/pcacorsa

:link: http://delvalvairs.com/
Delaware Valley Corvair Club, Cinnaminson, NJ

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for the Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Ford

Post by Ford »

Thanks. Wrt my car, I'd say it's somewhere between a 3 and a 4 - won't be sure exactly til I get into it deeper. It's a 110 with a 4sp. I haven't tried to figure out yet if they are the originals, but it was a 110 4sp at birth. It needs a new top, has some paint chips, a dented bumper, some misalignment of front and​ rear lids and left door, noisier engine than I recall, even for a Corvair, hoping it's just exhaust, seats that were remounted too close to dash, at least for me. The front and rear we're repainted, but not the doors, and the color difference is noticable. I'm focussing a little too much on the negatives, my to-do list. I've not come across any surprises yet. It looks pretty good, and drives pretty good, so I'm happy.

As to me, I'm retired and consider myself competent mechanically, but not so much wrt bodywork. I've rebuilt engines, mostly VW, but no Corvairs. I owned a 66 Corsa convertible (140hp/4sp), but didn't do much to it (carbs, brakes, top, might be all), and a Corvan that I don't recall doing anything to. I bought my Corvairs a little before we started having kids, and that changed everything.

It's my intent to improve this car, both it's appearance and operation, to keep it as original as possible, but I'm not aiming for a concours. I'll be driving it, maybe join a club, take it to local events, etc.

My guess, at this point, is I've bored everyone to death.

Steve
Steve in West Grove, PA

Long ago:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

If you do join a CORSA club chapter, their "voice of experience" might be helpful to you in evaluating the condition of the car. A valid list of needs and prioritizing those needs and projects, plus some time digging through a Clark's Corvair Parts catalog can help you to develop a budget and a timetable for you work.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Introductions”