New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
66vair

Post by 66vair »

Hi all,

New member here from Northern VA. Just thought I'd introduce myself. I have a 1966 Corvair Monza hardtop with 110hp engine, automatic tranny, and about 40k original miles. Bought it in 1994 while stationed in Bremerton, WA. Put it in storage in about 1998 and just got her home. Still looking pretty good. That dry Northern CA air kept her, mostly, rust free. Will take some time to go through and see if she'll fire up. Lotta sittin' to check over. Air was still in tires though.

~jeff

Sent from my phone using Corvair Forum mobile app

Last edited by 66vair on Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
toytron

Re: New member

Post by toytron »

Welcome.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Welcome - That was a wait to get it going. Nice looking car. Is that a black/white interior with the metallic blue exterior paint? If so that's a great combination.
66vair

Re: RE: Re: New member

Post by 66vair »

toytron wrote:Welcome.

Ed Stevenson
Thanks Ed!

Sent from my LG-K550 using Corvair Forum mobile app

66vair

Re: RE: Re: New member

Post by 66vair »

66vairguy wrote:Welcome - That was a wait to get it going. Nice looking car. Is that a black/white interior with the metallic blue exterior paint? If so that's a great combination.
Thanks. Yeah, paid more to store it for 15-20 yrs than I paid for it. All white with black accents, carpeting and GM metallic blue. Believe paint color is original (all jambs match) but I've never checked the VIN. Any recommendations to clean/restore the vinyl? Ages of dust on it.

I haven't tried to start her yet. Been cold and busy (shipped to me in Nov16). Should I drop the fuel tank? Or is there a way to inspect/flush in place?

~j

Sent from my LG-K550 using Corvair Forum mobile app

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum! You mentioned that you were stationed in Bremerton. Were you in the Navy?

I am retired Air Force, with 24 years of active duty service (retired as a MSgt. E7 in 1996). I also have a 1966 Corvair... a Corsa convertible with a 140 hp engine and 4-speed.
66vair wrote:Will take some time to go through and see if she'll fire up. Lotta sittin' to check over. Air was still in tires though.
Click on the link below to read: Removing your car from storage/Reviving a Dead Corvair
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=5030

Your aging tires are sure to be past the maximum recommended age for safe use, regardless of the remaining tread. The original 13" rims are becoming obsolete with 13" tires in limited supply, and unless you have a reason to stick with that size you might want to consider upgrading to a 14" or larger rim size at this time if you plan on replacing the old tires. Doing so will greatly increase the range of brands and other tire options you will have to choose from. I have been driving Corvairs since 1969, and I have not driven a Late Model (1965-1969) Corvair with the original 13" tire size on the car in all of that time. Recommend reading the following...

Sizing Corvair Wheels and Tires website :link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html

There is a long parking brake cable that is routed through several pulleys to the rear of the car, and another cable at the rear that crosses over between the two rear brakes. The condition of these cables and pulleys must be inspected and repairs made, as needed. The plastic pulleys may crack or break with age. The condition of the parking brake system is particularly important in automatic transmission equipped Corvairs, because Corvair Powerglide automatic transmissions do not have a PARK position in the shift lever to lock the transmission. The emergency brake system is the only way to secure the car and prevent it from rolling away when parked! The aging parking brake cable can fray and snap without warning.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... graygo.y=0

I would recommend that you contact and perhaps join the nearest CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapter to help you to gain knowledge about Corvairs. CORSA club members can offer knowledge, recommendations and contact information that may help you. Membership in a CORSA club can also enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. Clubs are usually family-friendly and offer technical assistance and training, competition events, picnics and scenic drives, and other social events. The following link will help you to find the nearest CORSA club chapter. It also includes a lot of other useful links...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for the Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

If you will post pictures of your car Body Tag (near the distributor) and VIN Tag (next to the battery) we can decode them for you, to tell you more about your Corvair's original production configuration.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
County98

Post by County98 »

Welcome aboard bud. Lots of helpful folks around here!
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
toytron

Post by toytron »

Hey Jeff. What I found to work (and you will get lots of opinions) for cleaning the vinyl was to wash it with a mild solution of dawn and warm water first then dry it. Next I like to use some Gojo hand cleaner WITHOUT PUMICE and work it into the vinyl with soft clean rags. You would be surprised at how much dirt gets worked into the cracks and crevices. It also helps to soften that dry and brittle vinyl. It allowed me to extend the life of my convertible top boot.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

O.K. - First - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START THE CAR WITH OLD GASOLINE. It's been observed a few times that starting a Corvair with old gas can cause the valve stems to seize in the heads - not good.

There is a checklist for reviving an old car that has sat for more than three years. In a summary - Replace ALL the fluids. You'll have to drop the PG (automatic) pan to change the fluid. You'll probably have to pump out the transaxle, with a PG you can use the new GL-5 75W90 (manual transmission cars require the old GL-4) . Not that difficult, just get a drill operated water/oil pump, used in restaurants and marine. These may work http://www.homedepot.com/p/AquaPro-Dril ... lsrc=aw.ds
or http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... b2e33014b1
DO NOT USE FOR GASOLINE!!

BRAKES - If the brake fluid is rusty colored you'll probably have to rebuild or replace the wheel and master cylinders. Rubber brake lines should be replaced as they rot an can collapse internally causing the brakes NOT to release and overheat. Use DOT 3 brake fluid as it's compatible with either the older or newer seal material and contrary to myth, it's boiling point is better now and more than adequate for brake drums. Nothing to be gained by using DOT 4 brake fluid and some of the older seals can be damaged. You find that most of the replacement brake parts for a Corvair specify DOT 3 brake fluid. BTW - a car rarely driven should have the brake fluid flushed every 2-3 years and the system will last a long time.

GAS TANK - SAFELY drain the gas tank (the old fuel hose needs replacing anyway - use ONLY a ethanol approved replacement fuel hose like GATES BARRICADE) If rust and debris come out of the tank it should be cleaned. Around my area it costs almost as much to have a tank cleaned as to buy a new one!! Most put a 5/16" generic metal filter (don't use plastic filter) in the line from the gas tank (the Corvair had NO fuel filter, just course brass filters in the carburetor inlets).

INTERIOR - Use a neutral cleaner like Simple Green and water. If the covers are dried out and need to be replaced - go see CLARK'S CORVAIR - they started out decades ago making seat covers. The are good if you need them. Also bucket foam and carpet kits. Almost everthing you need for a Corvair.

Good luck and enjoy.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Your car looks like it has 14" tires, but if they are 13, then don't worry about the 13" tires. Yes only one company makes a tire that fits the Corvair now (Maxxis 185/80X13"), but the size is used on other old cars and will be available as long as there is demand. Due to date/age control on tires the manufacturer, Maxxis, only makes up a batch when the demand is there. So sometimes the tires are out of stock in the U.S.A, usually only for a couple of weeks. So don't WAIT until you need a tire, plan ahead.

Clark's sells them if you local tire place can't get them - also on ebay and Amazon - see https://www.amazon.com/P185-80R13-Maxxi ... B00CJG0JAY

Return to “Introductions”