45 years

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
ron.earl@jmrearl.com

45 years

Post by ron.earl@jmrearl.com »

45 years, that's how long it took for the corvair seed to sprout within me. I'm 53 years old now and for the last few months I've been trying to pick a car for a retirement project. I want something different from the masses with nice lines and performance but won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Rewind 45 years, I was a young lad growing up in Florida, my brother in law had a late model Corvair collection consisting of a daily driver canary yellow 140 HP Monza coupe which turned into a silver Monza convertible also 140 HP. His poor mans sand rail was a Monza coupe with the roof cut off and tires with no tread remaining which he would use to give rides around the trailer park (off road) to the neighborhood kids. But the piece-de-resistance was a red Corsa coupe project car that never got completed and I didn't fully appreciate at the time but clearly the seed was planted. It was eventually replaced by a 73 240Z.

I have attached a photo of my ultimate Corvair (maybe car) which I found online last night. If anyone knows who it belongs to please let me know.

For all of you Corvair owners I hope mine is not an isolated story so that your cars finally get the respect they deserve.

For myself I hope it takes a few more years!

Ron Earl
Attachments
IMG_3084.JPG
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 45 years

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

I have been enjoying Corvairs since I was 8 year old, when my parents purchased their first new Corvair, a 1961 Monza coupe. After owning numerous Corvairs over the years and 45 years of marriage and at age 64 my wife and I still really love our 1966 Corsa convertible, which we acquired for our 40th anniversary from a Florida classic car dealer in 2012. I'm sure that many members of the Corvair Forum would enjoy assisting and advising you as you search for your dream Corvair.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your dream Corvair, and your goals for the Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

You bunch of "short timers".

Bought my first Corvair in March of 1965. Still have it and drive it regularly.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

My first experience with a Corvair is when Dad brought home a brand new 1962 Monza Wagon. (I was six or maybe seven at the time)
My first car was a 1963 500 Coupe that I bought in 1973 for a whopping $25.00.
I got it running and sold it for $125.00 and that funded the first of many '65 Corsa Convertibles.
In the years since, I was able to locate and buy our old Monza Wagon back, owned a Deluxe Greenbrier, a few early coupes, and multiple late coupes and convertibles including a Kelmark car. Many of those vehicles, I would love to have back in my possession today.
Today I own a 1965 Monza Coupe, LOS built 4 speed car I bought as a basket case. Maybe one day I will get it back on the road.

:my02: The only advice I can offer is to take your time, research the items you need to be aware of when looking at one for sale. If possible, take an experienced Corvair owner that has enough knowledge to assist you in making an informed decision.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner

Return to “Introductions”