Hello from KC MO

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Mjahn87

Hello from KC MO

Post by Mjahn87 »

I just wanted to say hi, as I am a first time corvair owner at 29 years old. I work as a full time mechanic, mostly working on modern vehicles with the occasional classic hot rods and ls swaps.

I've been interested in a corvair for a while and back before Christmas I decided to finally purchase one. I looked at some that were restored and ready to drive but I decided on a project car. I was informed the car was takin to bare metal then repainted, unfortunately that wasn't completely true. The floor pans have been replaced with sheet metal and a poor job with lots of bondo covering a side impact. But for $1000 I got a 63 2 door with a power glide and 102 hp motor. It starts and moves under its own power, has lots of leaks that will be needing addressed.

I plan on starting a build thread so everyone can see my progress and offer any advice.
Attachments
IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0761.JPG
Last edited by Mjahn87 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
64powerglide

Re: Hello from KC MO

Post by 64powerglide »

Looks like you have a good start, i'm sure everyone will be waiting for more photo's. Good luck & have fun. :tu:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
n8rwaswrong
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by n8rwaswrong »

Welcome to the club. I look forward to seeing more photos as you work on the project.
toytron

Post by toytron »

Welcome. The only advice okc have for you is that advice is spelled with a "c". Jklol. Welcome

Btw. Are you a corsa corvair member? The annual meeting is going to be in independence Missouri this year.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

There is a large, well-developed CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapter near you, based in Belton, MO. I would suggest you contact them, and perhaps consider joining this CORSA chapter. They are likely to be able to provide you with good advice concerning the local area. CORSA club chapters are family-friendly groups that often offer technical training and assistance, competition events, picnics, car shows, scenic drives, etc.

ImageHeart of America Corvair Owners Association
Kansas City Area
16001 Oakland Ave, Belton MO
:link: http://www.hacoa.org/
Sample Newsletter:
HACOA VAIRCOR Newsletter - Feb 2017.pdf
HACOA VAIRCOR Newsletter - Feb 2017
(2.88 MiB) Downloaded 27 times

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for the Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Mjahn87

Post by Mjahn87 »

As I said before my experience is mostly with late model vehicles. This is my first time doing any paint/body work. So I've r&r lots of motors, cylinder heads, timing chains and belts, electrical diagnostics, drivability concerns, brakes and suspension. I have my ase certification in everything except automatic trans and Diesel engines.

Currently I'm building a ls motor wiring harness for a co work, that motor is going in an 01 s10. I'm also helping the boss rewire his 64 nova wagon, a 6.40 1/8 mile car.

My first ls swap was on my 91 c1500, since then I've done a 67 nova and 74 el camino both of which were carbureted ls motor swaps. My c1500 motor was a 5.3 truck motor I rebuilt with a 530 lift 220/224 duration cam and flat top Pistons, new bearing rings and seals.
Attachments
IMG_0422.JPG
IMG_0767.JPG
IMG_0438.JPG
Mjahn87

Post by Mjahn87 »

I'm planning on getting in contact with the local corvair owners group. Might join the local corsa chapter, my wife's parents live in the belton area.

My plan for the car originally was to be in the car cheap fix it up and flip it. Which is still my main plan, in the mean time I plan to enjoy working on it and driving it around.

I've got the body and paint where I want it, the interior was mostly missing and in poor shape. So I recently ordered carpet, full weather stripping, windshield and rear glass seals, headliner and a radio. I decided to delete the rear seats and install power leather seats from an olds bravada. This decision was mostly to keep cost down and allow me to fit in the car more comfortably, I'm 6'5"
chris

Post by chris »

Welcome to Corvairing! We do have a great club and we're all over the metro area (I am on the Kansas side).

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Introductions”