Long-time lover, first-time buyer!

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
NaderHaterJr

Long-time lover, first-time buyer!

Post by NaderHaterJr »

Hello!

I'm from Sedalia, Missouri, and I've finally purchased my first Corvair! My father owned three different Corvairs as I was growing up, and I fell in love as soon as we rode as a family in his beautiful '65 Corsa with the "NDR HTR" license plate for the first time.

Now I am happily married with a son in middle school, and my husband and I have reached a level of financial security that has allowed us to start fulfilling some of our own dreams. My husband has a 1978 Silver Anniversary Edition Corvette with which we have enjoyed going to car shows for a couple of summers now, and it's my turn to have a toy!

My father spotted just the one (about which he told me), sitting in a driveway, under a carport, unenjoyed--no "For Sale" sign. We drove by and I instantly fell in love with a 1964 Monza PowerGlide convertible that had been painted red. It was originally Ermine White, but the paint was done very well, so I guess we can make an exception to our all-original intentions.

I am so in love with my "new" car! I've only driven it a few miles (being unregistered), but those few miles have been pure euphoria! It feels like it was made just for me!

I already can't wait to get home from work tomorrow to work on the interior some more! More pictures to come at some point.

NaderHaterJr
Jerry Whitt

Re: Long-time lover, first-time buyer!

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Welcome! Looks like a nice car.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
guru_1071

Post by guru_1071 »

that looks lovely

I wish there was a huge choice of corvairs over here to choose from
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :clap: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

I have been around Corvairs since my parents bought their first new Corvair in 1961 — a 4-speed Monza coupe. (I was 8 years old at the time). They later bought a new 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible, and I learned to drive in that car and took my first driver's test in it. We have driven Corvairs for decades all over the USA and in Germany while serving with the U.S. Air Force, and at age 64 my wife and I still own a 1966 Corsa convertible.

Warren and son Brad Bodie in 1965, soon after he bought our Mist Blue 1965 Corsa convertible. This Corvair remained in our family from 1965 to 1995. It was later painted dark green (1969), and then red 1979)

Our 1962 Corvair Monza Coupe - On Our Wedding Day - April 1972 - Thousand Oaks, CA

Congratulations on your beautiful 1964 convertible acquisition! I hope you will post additional pictures of the car from other angles, the interior, trunk, and engine compartment. (The backup light lenses are from a 1963 Corvair).

Here are a few tips that might be useful to a new Corvair owner...

When working on the Corvair engine, you will need to develop good habits with regard to working with aluminum components. Much of the Corvair engine was manufactured using aluminum, which is a relatively soft and easily damaged material. Bolts that screw into aluminum threads should be carefully threaded by hand to avoid the possibility of cross-threading. The use of anti-seize compound to coat the threads is recommended. A torque wrench should be utilized to properly tighten all fasteners using specifications listed in the Corvair shop manual. This will help you to avoid damaging any threads in the Corvair engine.

All suspension components should be examined. Ball joints and other front suspension components with grease fittings should be lubricated. Front wheel bearings should be cleaned, inspected, repacked and adjusted. With regard to the rear axle bearings (which are difficult to maintain and service, and are often neglected), here's a quote from the Clark's Corvair Parts catalog…
Clark's Corvair Parts Online Catalog, Page 165 wrote:REAR AXLE (WHEEL) BEARINGS — 1960-1964 CARS

The rear axle bearings are probably the most dangerous part of the whole car. It is not uncommon for the axle shaft to pull right out. In some cases the axle shaft just worked out and others the bearing has failed. The 1965-69 style fixed this but people with the earlier style should not ignore any possible bearing noises!
Rear axle universal joints also tend to be neglected — especially if they are not equipped with grease fittings. These also should be inspected and serviced or replaced, if needed.

The Corvair Powerglide transmission has a good reputation for reliability, but fluid levels must be properly maintained. Overfilling can cause the rotating planetary gearset and clutches to spin in a bath of fluid, causing air entrainment (foaming). Low fluid levels can cause low oil pressure, clutch slipping and burning, etc. The automatic transmission is basically a fluid-based computer. Your transmission fluid should be clean and red in color, and should not show a brown discoloration or have a burned smell. Also, the vacuum modulator on the right side of the transmission depends on a good vacuum line from the engine. The rubber hoses should be checked for cracks or wear. If oil appears to be present in the vacuum line, the vacuum modulator diaphragm may be worn out — permitting transmission fluid to be drawn from the transmission to the engine. Clark's Corvair Parts says "if your vacuum modulator is over 10 years old, you are running on borrowed time." A bad vacuum modulator should be replaced — it cannot be repaired.

There is a long parking brake cable that is routed through several pulleys to the rear of the car, and another cable at the rear that crosses over between the two rear brakes. The condition of these cables and pulleys must be inspected and repairs made, as needed. The plastic pulleys may crack or break with age. The condition of the parking brake system is particularly important in automatic transmission equipped Corvairs, because Corvair Powerglide automatic transmissions do not have a PARK position in the shift lever to lock the transmission. The emergency brake system is the only way to secure the car and prevent it from rolling away when parked! The aging parking brake cable can fray and snap without warning.

Removing your car from storage/Reviving a Dead Corvair
:link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 225&t=5030

I would recommend that you contact and perhaps join the nearest CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapter to help you to gain knowledge about Corvairs. CORSA club members can offer knowledge, recommendations and contact information that may help you. Membership in a CORSA club can also enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. Clubs are usually family-friendly and offer technical assistance and training, competition events, picnics and scenic drives, and other social events.

ImageImage

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association
(Kansas City Area, About 80 Miles)
:link: http://www.hacoa.org/
SAMPLE NEWSLETTER:
HACOA VAIRCOR Newsletter - Feb 2017.pdf
HACOA VAIRCOR Newsletter - Feb 2017
(2.88 MiB) Downloaded 15 times

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for the Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Steve62

Post by Steve62 »

Welcome from Southern California! Looks like you gat a real beauty there - congratulations!
Could be better, could be worse...could be riding in a hearse!
NaderHaterJr

Post by NaderHaterJr »

Thanks for all the wonderful resources! I have been planning to join the closest Corsa chapter (HACOA).

I am still ironing out my goals for this Corvair. I will not be modifying it too much because a lot of the appeal of the car for me is its wholesome practicality. I would like to keep it well-maintained and just really enjoy owning it and preserving history. I have always thought of Corvairs as "underdogs " who never really got their due, and I really relate to that aspect.

I have very little mechanical hands-on experience myself, but I have always been a very quick learner and am extremely mechanically-inclined intellectually. I have always had an interest in cars, and I enjoyed watching local late model asphalt racing with my dad growing up, so I have a very good basic knowledge of parts and systems. I plan to do the work myself, instead of letting my husband do it, as it is important to me to feel a legitimate sense of ownership.

I have included a few more pictures since cleaning the interior this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Corvair Forum mobile app

NaderHaterJr
NaderHaterJr

Post by NaderHaterJr »

NaderHaterJr
toytron

Post by toytron »

True beauty! Welcome from illinois.

Ed Stevenson

Btw Jr, my oldest son is camera shy too! [emoji2]
Last edited by toytron on Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
n8rwaswrong
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by n8rwaswrong »

I love it! Great photos. What a great story.
NaderHaterJr

Post by NaderHaterJr »

I've got some pictures that I took during my first "cruise-in" tonight! Had a great time, and found myself able to answer all the questions asked (which I'm very proud of).

Here's to many more![emoji2]

NaderHaterJr
Krfjkm

Post by Krfjkm »

Nice looking car!!

Return to “Introductions”