New Guy in SE MI

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Tim_D

New Guy in SE MI

Post by Tim_D »

Hi All,

Just picked up my first Corvair, a 1965 Monza coupe wearing original paint. Looks to be a pretty solid starting point (the previous owver had it on a lift so I could completely look it over). It's a 110/PG combo.

After the purchase, I proceeded to drive it 50 miles home! The only issue was I stalled at a stop sign a mere 1/2 mile from my house. The car would start, but only idle with some throttle, and I had to keep the revs up while popping it into gear to get it the last 1/2 mile. Seems like a simple carb/fuel issue since there weren't any problems until that point.

Anyway, looking forward to this site's knowledge!

Regards
-TD
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: New Guy in SE MI

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum! I posted both of your Corvair pictures below for others to see.

ImageImage

You might want to consider contacting one of the local CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters in Michigan. The Corvair Forum website is really great, but local contact with experienced Corvair owners can really add to your enjoyment of your Corvair. Club chapters can offer family-friendly social events, car shows, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, etc.
Detroit Area Corvair Club
ADDRESS: 5498 Duffield Road, Swartz Creek, MI
EMAIL: corvairkid1963@aol.com

West Michigan Corvair Club
ADDRESS: West Michigan Corvair Club (David E Ziebarth), 7769 Burlingame Ave SW, Byron Center, MI 49315-9060
EMAIL: wmcc@corvair.org

The websites listed in the following link may be useful to you...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for your Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.

Please post more pictures showing details of your Corvair, including interior and engine compartment. If you post closeups of your VIN tag (next to the battery), and your Body Tag (on the engine compartment perimeter frame, near the distributor), I will decode them for you to tell you a little more about your car's original production.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Tim_D

Post by Tim_D »

I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for your Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.

Please post more pictures showing details of your Corvair, including interior and engine compartment. If you post closeups of your VIN tag (next to the battery), and your Body Tag (on the engine compartment perimeter frame, near the distributor), I will decode them for you to tell you a little more about your car's original production.
Thanks for the info Brad. Here goes:

I'm a mechanical engineer by trade. I've worked on several different types of car parts over the course of my 25 years (electrical power distribution, fluid handling, clutch hydraulics, and currently driveline (driveshafts)). I currently live in Davisburg, and work in Auburn Hills (Michigan). These are in the southeastern Michigan area.

Although this is my first Corvair, it's actually my 6th old car. I've previously owned and restored a '75 Corvette, a '68 Chevelle SS, a '63 Nova SS, a '64 Chevelle SS, a '63 Nova wagon, and I currently still own a '62 Buick Skylark. Each car had its own personality, and the builds reflected them - anywhere from back-halved pro-street on the '63 Nova SS to resto-mod "stocker" (albeit with an big block transplant) to the '64 Chevelle. I do all my own mechanical, chassis, and bodywork.

The plans for this car are to restore the body with whatever sheet metal I can find - patch panels from Clark's will cover most of the areas or need, but the driver's front fender could use some work in the top of the wheel arch which may require finding a suitable donor panel. I'd like to possibly get a little more power out of the 110hp engine, but not sure how mild-to-wild I will go. I'll probably adjust the stance slightly, add front discs via Scarebird (who offer the kit that is on my Buick), and add some type of aftermarket tire/wheel combo.

I've taken a few photos of the car so far, and I generally keep a running diary of all my cars on photobucket (link below for the public photos). I haven't taken any of the ID tags yet, but will do so and post when available.

http://s634.photobucket.com/user/Tim_D_ ... login=true

Again, many thanks!
Regards
-TD
detroitdude

Post by detroitdude »

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/list.php?1
Welcome from Northville,MI

Sent from my SM-G900V using Corvair Forum mobile app
crogers
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by crogers »

Cool car,welcome to the site!! Whenever I get a new corvair I always change the filter in the fuel tank and rebuilt the carbs,most issues I've encountered with rough running usually had something to do with fuel issues from old gas/dirt in the system.you probably already knew that though looks like your not a newbie to old cars! Cheers!
1960 500 coupe 3spd
1960 700 sedan pg.
1962 Monza coupe 4spd.
1962 spyder convertible
1964 Monza coupe pg.
1964 Monza convertible 4spd.
1966 corsa coupe turbo
Steve62

Post by Steve62 »

Welcome from Southern California...enjoy your new toy/project/hobby/obsession!
Could be better, could be worse...could be riding in a hearse!
BobWitt
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by BobWitt »

Tim - good to meet you last Monday at the Monthly DACC Meeting...

Our means to communicate locally is FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1754042794919876/

Welcome to Corvair and DACC...
BobWitt - South East Michigan
Member: Corsa and DACC

1966 Corsa 140
Follow my build at: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9082"
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Great find, good for you! One can't buy innovation and style like this anymore! Do it! You look great in it. Even guys driving Ferrari s look at Corvairs.
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S

Return to “Introductions”