Hi from Westminster MD

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
dave120v

Hi from Westminster MD

Post by dave120v »

I just got a 65 corvair monza convertable. I have learned much from visiting Corvair Ranch in Hanover, PA. I am wondering if the front brakes can be converted to disk. It has 13" wheels.
dave120v

Re: Hi from Westminster MD

Post by dave120v »

I'm Dave Maynard , retired electrician.
My other rides are 05 explorer and 07 toyota sienna
I wired a garage and was given a corvair for pay. I bonded immediately.
How do I post pictures?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

Yes, disc brakes can be fitted to the Corvair. But you might want to start by considering upsizing the wheels and tires on your Corvair. All Corvair cars were originally fitted with 13" wheels in the 1960's, which was appropriate considering the targeted economy car audience and the tire technology and market during that period. However, at the present time 13" tires have become obsolete. They can still be found in limited supplies for a specialty classic car market, but many performance and safety features found in modern tire technology may not make it into the 13" size. The demand simply is not there for many tire manufacturers and distributors to bother with the 13" tire size. For example, the Tire Rack http://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerac ... epage.html is a very well-developed, large and successful tire marketer on the Internet. Yet they don't even carry 13" tires for cars anymore. The only 13" tires they list are trailer tires! In effect you pay more and get less tire if you insist on a 13" tire size. Corvair owners who want to keep their cars "all original" to satisfy personal preference or show car competition demands can still fit their cars with 13" tires. But many owners who drive their Corvairs regularly might benefit from considering upsizing to 14", 15', or even larger wheels and tires. Late Model Corvairs (1965-1969) are particularly suitable for such an upgrade, as the wheel well clearances and five-lug bolt pattern are very suitable for such tires and wheels.

The links below provide a good introduction to the tire, wheel and brake system issues and options with the Corvair...

Sizing Corvair Wheels and Tires

:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html

Corvair Brakes

:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/brakes.html

The link below will provide you with a number of useful websites for the Corvair owner...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for your Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.

==========================================================================

Here is some material on posting pictures on the Corvair Forum. Please let me know if you have any questions...

:whoa: Photographs can be hosted on other public websites, and then shared here using the photograph image URL. Facebook is another URL source option. Alternately, individual photographs can be uploaded directly to the Corvair Forum.
If you are not familiar with posting pictures on the Corvair Forum, here are some guidelines. I wrote these instructions a while ago to try to help new members of the Corvair Forum with posting pictures. There are two methods. Hopefully these guidelines will help you...

To be able to post pictures, always use POST REPLY — not QUICK REPLY — to open the full-featured editor.

There are basically two ways to post a digital photograph on the Corvair Forum. The first, illustrated below, involves inserting an image URL address between two Img markers. The URL image address is copied from an existing picture on the Internet. The source image can be another picture already on display within the Corvair Forum, or it can be just about any picture, artwork, or graphic image that is publicly viewable by anyone on the Internet. You simply need to copy the source image URL temporarily to the computer "clipboard", and the paste that URL address within the text you are writing on the Corvair Forum (between the two Img markers). Once you have posted your text, the Corvair Forum software will simply grab the image from the source URL and will display it embedded within your text (at the location where you embedded the Img markers and source URL).

For example, I am embedding the First Place Image and Avatar Image images to the left of this post within the text here by copying their URL addresses between two Img markers.

Here is what the above text looks like unsaved...
For example, I am embedding the First Place [img.]images/ranks/COTBLACKPLATE.png[/img] and Avatar [img.]download/file.php?avatar=2689_1344285003.jpg[/img] images to the left of this post within the text here by copying their URL addresses between two Img markers.
Maybe this illustration will help...

You can manually copy images and pictures from other Corvair Forum posts that were embedded as uploads by right-clicking each image in the source with your right mouse button and selecting Copy image URL from the menu choices. Doing so will invisibly copy the image URL address to the computer temporary data buffer called a clipboard. Using the Img button at the top of the editor screen, and the standard PC copy and paste technique will allow you to paste that URL address data from the clipboard into your Corvair Forum text (surrounded by bracketed img markers), which will display as the original picture or image when the post has been saved for display. It illustration below depicts the process.

Click on image to enlarge for better viewing...
Corvair Forum Image Transfer.jpg
NOTE: This same technique will allow you to copy just about any graphic, photo, or other displayed image from any public website, Facebook, or other website that is not secured and is publically viewable by right-clicking the desired image, obtaining the image URL, and then pasting the URL with Img markers into your Corvair Forum text.

=========================================================================

The other method of embedding pictures involves uploading the images that you have physically stored on your computer. Simply scroll down in the editor and click on the Upload attachment tab >> Choose File >> Add the file. You can upload many pictures, but you have to add them one at a time. The Corvair Forum operating system does not allow for batch uploads of multiple files.

Either way, the pictures you upload will not be visible as photographs until you click on Preview or Submit.

=========================================================================

There is also an online help section on the Corvair Forum. See...

How to post a picture (and start a new topic)

CorvairForum Site Topics ‹ Site Specific Topics ‹ Site Features and How to Use Them ‹ How to post a picture (and start a new topic)

:link: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=618[/quote]

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome Dave :hal:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

:welcome: Welcome to the forum Dave!

There are not to many Corvairs on the road these days in Westminster MD.

Maybe seeing some on the road will light a fire under my butt and get me excited about getting mine back out there. :think:

P.S.
Since 1973 I have owned and driven many different Corvairs, early and late including a wagon, a greenbrier, and a V8 car.
My current one is a late coupe, 110 4 speed in pieces.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
dave120v

Post by dave120v »

Thanks Brad Bodie and others. I plan to use my vair vert for summer jaunts around town and occasional local shows. Restoring is costly and time consuming. that's not my bag. A safe, reliable and fun car to drive is. Soon I will be cruising junk yards for steel rims. Most likely 14's I already found that 13 tires are obsolete.
I wired my son's friend's garage and was paid with a "65 monza vert. after replacing some brake lines and changing oil, I took a little jaunt to see if it would make 20 miles home. It ran fairly well and seemed reliable enough, so home I went. It quit running often when idling, but started easilly. later I found one carb was not working. I had drove home on 3 cylinders! That turned out to be a filter installed backwards. after replacing plugs, wires and adjusting carbs, it ran quite well. Quite relieving! :tu: On the second ride, I spotted a first gen vair going the opposite way on rt 32. We waved in passing. Imagine that!
so far I replaced the fuel pump, and patched the rusted trunk floor with a street sign. Life is a bit hectic, summer is waning and i spend a lot of wake time thinking of what comes next. I guess I got the fever!
Attachments
20150716_141301.jpg
20150716_141230.jpg
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Welcome from Parkville Dave. Nice looking late model. Jeff at Corvair ranch in Hanover can square away any questions or problems you might have with the Corvair.
I am a bad influence as I like to cut them up and turn them into water pumpers . If I can be of help, let me know...........just over on the northside of the beltway

John
Fast Eddie
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Fast Eddie »

Welcome Dave. Hope to see you at the Ranch one of these days.

Jerry
If it aint broke, give me a minute
dave120v

Post by dave120v »

I had some work done on my engine at a machine shop. When I got it back, This was in a box of parts. Where does it go?
Attachments
what's this?
what's this?
vairsquared

Post by vairsquared »

That appears to be the oil slinger that goes on the crankshaft under the rear housing. If I am correct you better get that put back on before driving to much. It's important!
dave120v

Post by dave120v »

Thanks. I am still putting the engine together, but have to pull the balancer back off.
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

The Corvair Ranch is open on Saturday mornings most of the time.
I would suggest that IF you are still unsure where the shield goes, or how it is installed....give Jeff a call and maybe venture up to the Ranch as he probably has an engine apart enough somewhere that he can physically show you where and how it goes. Just a thought. :my02:

Now that I see photo's of your car, did you by chance purchase it from a family on Deer Park Road in Finksburg ?

There was one there for a couple of years that had been inherited by the family and they had no interest in it. One day it went missing and I am curious if maybe your car is the one I recall seeing. :think:
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
vairsquared

Post by vairsquared »

The service manual tells you the location and position of the slinger.

Return to “Introductions”