New Central Texas member

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
gatesvillebill

New Central Texas member

Post by gatesvillebill »

Howdy from Gatesville, Texas--

I am a second-time Corvair owner. First time was in 1965, Monza Coupe which I sold when I went into the Air Force. As of a couple of weeks ago I am the proud owner of a 1963 Monza 900 convertible. Car runs good, looks great from 20 feet away, needs a lot of little things to repair the Jerry-rigged stuff done by previous owners. I am a 33-year State Farm agent with a serious addiction to unusual automobiles. My current "stable" includes two VW hippe vans (one a camper_, a 1979 Super Beetle convertible, a 1973 standard Beetle, two Triumph TR-3's, a Triumph TR-4, an MG Midget, two 1955 Isetta 300's and a 1929 Ford Model A delivery hack. The Triumphs, the Midget and the Isettas are restoration projects, with one of the Isettas about 60% completed with rebuilt engine etc..

The wiring on the Monza really sucks. I am thinking about replacing the entire harness, from front to back. The door hinges really need adjusting (doors apparently removed for recent paint job and not propertly reinstalled. Someone disconnected the standard fuel pump and put in an electric pump which ticks away constantly. The auto chokes are disconnected from the carburettors. I replaced the broken speedo cable and have sorted out (mostly) the wiring behind the instrument cluster. I rebuilt the turn signal mechanical assembly behind the steering wheel, but can't get the turn signals to work, can't find a flasher relay etc.. Obvious oil leaks as all Corvairs seem to have.

Interesting note--when I met my wife of 44 years on a blind date, we both showed up in Corvairs. Same color etc, but hers was automatic and mine was three-speed. Hers had a very noticeable gasoline leak somewhere as the car always smelled of fuel. Mine had a blown jug but ran just fine on the remaining cylinders.

Anyway, I look forward to learning from everyone's experiences. I belong to a Model A club, Triumph club, Isetta club etc.

Bill Herridge
Gatesville, Texas
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: New Central Texas member

Post by Scott H »

:welcome2: Bill, sounds like you'll fit right in!
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: New Central Texas member

Post by UNSAFE »

Welcome from Alaska :welcome2:

It's amazing how many people are into Isettas and Corvairs !
Attachments
building 1963 corvair 6.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska

Return to “Introductions”