Hello and looking for help in Philadelphia

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
ibennett

Hello and looking for help in Philadelphia

Post by ibennett »

Hello everyone,
I just started a restoration project with my 15 yo daughter of a 1964 monza spyder turbo and I am looking for some expertise to make sure we shoudl go forward with the car. I put it up on jack stands and found some substantial rust underneath near and possible involving the frame ahead of both rear wheel wells. I have bad memories of my first care which was a VW bug that turned out to have the tunnel so rusted that the car had to be scrapped after I spent all my savings ($600) to buy it. So, does anyone have any contacts in the Philly area that I could get to come over and give us a consult? I would be happy to pay something for their input. Or - anyone want to tell me what to look out for that would be not repairable/inspectable?
Thanks,
Ian
Attachments
Wheel wells look okay from here
Wheel wells look okay from here
But in front of the rear wheel wells looks rough
But in front of the rear wheel wells looks rough
This is the worst spot - is this fixable? Is it involving the frame?
This is the worst spot - is this fixable? Is it involving the frame?
Blue hen

Re: Hello and looking for help in Philadelphia

Post by Blue hen »

Sent you a pm.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Hello and looking for help in Philadelphia

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome: :wave: :welcome2: Welcome, Ian, to the Corvair Forum!

You're very right in wanting an accurate evaluation of the body structure of your Corvair before you proceed with a major investment in money and time. Obviously the car will need some sheet metal repair, welding, etc. If the car body is deemed restorable, how would you approach that portion of the restoration? In other words, what is your assessment of your mechanical and body-working skills? What portions would be a DIY project, and what would you have to outsource?

If you plan on having the bodywork, painting, etc. done by a professional body shop, then perhaps that would be a source for an answer for you. You might need to locate a reputable body and restoration ship in your area to get a professional assessment of the condition of your Corvair body, and a cost estimate to have the work done. Based on the estimate and assessment by a professional, you can decide if it would be cost-effective to restore the car, or would a better approach be to consider it to be a parts car? If the body turns out to be too far gone to restore, the Spyder components may be worthwhile to use your Spyder as a donor car that would allow you to transfer the rare Spyder identity to a suitable Corvair with an intact body and chassis. Sometimes such a clone effort becomes necessary with a Corvair when you consider its age and its background and condition. If your Spyder has been exposed to road salt damage for almost 50 years in the Pennsylvania area, it is conceivable that the body may not be salvageable.

There are many on the Corvair Forum who might be able to advise you on how to proceed, but we would need to see more of your Spyder. More detailed pictures of the body, interior, trunk and engine compartment would help a lot. Any information you have on the history of the car, how it has been stored and maintained, etc. might help. I would also suggest that you seek out the local CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapter to seek advice from experienced Corvair owners in your area. Membership in a CORSA chapter can be very helpful. The clubs are often family-friendly and membership may help you and your family to be more engaged in this family hobby. Here are some website links and information that may prove helpful to you...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites
Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

There are seven CORSA chapters in Pennsylvania and three CORSA chapters in New Jersey. I have listed the closest chapters to your location – one in New Jersey and one in Pennsylvania – below for you to consider.

CORSA Chapter Locator - Philadelphia Corvair Association
Chapter ID: 190
Organization Name: Philadelphia Corvair Association
Street Address (Primary): 4224 Spruce St, Whitehall, PA 18052
Officers and Committee
President: Rich Greene, Email: corvairsrcooler@cs.com
Vice President/Activities: Dave Stein, Email: nprr31@verizon.net
Treasurer/Membership: Larry Asheuer, Email: a-lcorvair@msn.com
Activities: Dave Stein, Email: nprr31@verizon.net
Newsletter Name: Transmissions
Email (Primary): corvairsrcooler@cs.com
Invitation to Become a Member

You are invited to become a member of your local CORSA Chapter in the Delaware Valley, The Philadelphia Corvair Association. As enthusiasts of one of the most innovative, influential, interesting and inexpensive collector automobiles of all time, our members share a unique passion for the Chevrolet Corvair.

The activities at our monthly meetings vary from technical sessions, cruises, picnics, and road trips, to flea markets, car shows and simply enjoying driving a Corvair.

Our members come from many different backgrounds, ranging from those involved in the restoration industry, to those just lucky enough to have a free weekend to perform some much needed Corvair maintenance, and those with little mechanical experience.

Club members can benefit from volume parts buys, and combined shipping discounts from Corvair Vendors and access to our own parts store. The club has an extensive collection of Corvair books and tapes available for members to borrow. Club members can also borrow many specialized, Corvair specific, tools that the club owns, perfect for that once in a blue moon maintenance task. Club members receive the "Transmissions" newsletter, published monthly with tips, articles, stories and a complete events schedule.
CORSA Chapter Locator - Delaware Valley Corvair Club
Chapter ID: 088
Organization Name: Delaware Valley Corvair Club
Street Address (Primary): 1301 Union Landing Road, Cinnaminson, NJ
President: Phil Androvett, 27918 Mount Pleasant Road, Columbus, NJ 08022, (609) 424-0531,
Email: president@delvalvairs.com
Vice President: Nick Gravino, Email: vicepresident@delvalvairs.com
Secretary: Rod Rakos, 800 Trenton Road, Apartment 1, Langhorne, PA 19047, (215) 752-6166,
Email: secretary@delvalvairs.com
Treasurer: Glenn Greenwood, 291 Boxwood Lane, Cinnaminson, NJ 08077, (856) 829-2911
Email: treasurer@delvalvairs.com
Newsletter Editor: Debbie Rakos
Newsletter Name: HOT AIR
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Introductions”