County98's Learn as I Go Thread

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
County98

PCV setup

Post by County98 »

Damn, another whole year has gone by since I've gotten around to working on the 'Vair or posting. Time flies when you're old.

I've gotten the power pack bolted in, starter installed, Alternator upgrade from Clark's (63a 10SI), engine wiring finished up (that makes the whole car wiring done now. Waiting on a little final routing and cleanup until I make sure everything works.)

Todays project was a simple PCV setup. Reread a bunch of posts and diagrams from Bodie, and just winged it a little.

Air Cleaner cut using a hole saw. Ordered up a plastic, variable size, smog fitting.
PCV (3).jpg
Cut down shroud tube orifice ported to crossover tube.
PCV (2).jpg
Main/big opening of shroud tube to bottom of air cleaner.
PCV (1).jpg
Final. Anyone see any major flaws with this?
PCV Final.jpg

All look okay to everyone?
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
County98

Re: County98's Learn as I Go Thread

Post by County98 »

Upgraded Alternator if anyone needs a pic of that.
New Alternator.jpg
Stinger distributor and full 12v coil. Mounted it to the vertical rear brace to keep heat down a bit.
Coil.jpg
Also using electric fuel pump, just did the fuel pump plug and flipping the lines. Working on that now.
Fuel block off.jpg
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

The metal tube out of the "turkey roaster" where your tubing is connected has a restrictor orifice (small hole) on the hose that goes to your cross over pipe? Looks nice, If so I think your good! :tu:
1962 700 Wagon
1963 Spyder convertable
1965 Monza
1967 UltraVan 211
County98

Post by County98 »

Yes sir. It's the stock tube from the turkey roaster, I just cut it down. That half is still stock, small orifice is piped to the crossover tube near firewall.

On a side note, I don't have the turkey roaster clamp and Clark's is out. If anyone has an extra laying around, PM me please?
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

County98

Flipped fuel lines

Post by County98 »

Flipped and tightened down the fuel lines.

The green stuff on the threads is Gasoila soft set fuel/oil pipe dope. I know it's not SUPPOSED to be needed on flare fittings, but with 13 fittings in the engine compartment, I figured a little insurance wouldn't hurt.
Gasoila.jpg
Passenger Side:
Pass SIde.jpg
Driver Side:
Driver Side.jpg
Rear Tee:
Tee.jpg
Still need to take a look at how to shape and flare the main fuel feed through the firewall. Project for another day.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Nice work!

I "rotated" my fuel lines since I had an electric fuel pump.

I hooked up a similar PCV "J" pipe to my custom air cleaners. Works well. Once a year I notice a little motor oil film in the air cleaner and wipe it off. So far no need for a "collector can". Then again I'm not racing.

I installed all new Clark's pre-bent fuel lines and the first time I turned on the fuel pump I had SIX leaks! A wise buddy who worked on old English cars said they use copper flare gaskets on brake and fuel lines. I installed them and NOT ONE LEAK. I buy them on Amazon. DO NOT USE air conditioning flare gaskets as they have a slightly different shape. Look for Parker 2GF-4 (carbs) or 2GF-5 (larger fuel line from tank). AZdave once posted a nice picture of them. They are ONE time use, if the lines come apart then install new gaskets.
County98

Post by County98 »

Sweet, good tip! I have all new clark's prebent as well all the way from New tank. I haven't gotten it wet yet, but maybe later this week.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Awesome work and excellent advice! I just converted to an e-pump with all flare fittings. Can't wait to see how many leaks.
Unless I missed it, have a link to the copper flare washers?
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
County98

Post by County98 »

I just searched Amazon for "Parker 2GF-4"
and "Parker 2GF-5". Popped right up and I have a 10pk of each in my cart, just in case.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

County98 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:09 am I just searched Amazon for "Parker 2GF-4"
and "Parker 2GF-5". Popped right up and I have a 10pk of each in my cart, just in case.
I find them on Amazon, Grainger, and ebay. Prices vary, but watch the shipping costs.
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

66vairguy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:52 am
County98 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:09 am I just searched Amazon for "Parker 2GF-4"
I find them on Amazon, Grainger, and ebay. Prices vary, but watch the shipping costs.
Thanks and wow, isn't that the truth.....
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

If fuel gets past the flair I think it is going to leak no matter what you put on the threads.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
County98

Clark's Ultimate Exhaust

Post by County98 »

Still haven't finished bending the fuel feed line, but had a couple hours to kill, so bolted up Clark's header kit.

Not rocket science, but I really couldn't find any good pics of what to expect, so here you go.

Painted last week. They come bare metal with a can of paint (Cali thing I guess). I didn't use it anyway and went and got 2 cans of VHT Flameproof primer and 2 cans of Flameproof header black.

Hit with some sandpaper down to bare metal, hit with brake cleaner, and wiped down with tack cloth. Let dry completely.
Painting (2).jpg
3 coats of primer
Painting (3).jpg
3 coats black
Painting (1).jpg
Heat paint needs to cure, and I don't have an old stove in the shop yet. Finish scratches super easy until I can get it cured on the car with some heat cycles.
Last edited by County98 on Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

County98

Ultimate Exhaust install

Post by County98 »

Here's what comes with it. Template for cutting shrouds (which I'm leaving off for now, so skipped that), packings, baffles, collector gaskets, and hardware.
Parts.jpg
140 packings are dual beveled.
Packings.jpg
Friction fit barely on exhaust tubes, into the exhaust tube "dishes".
Tubes (2).jpg
Tubes (1).jpg
Headers seem pretty good, but I don't think I'm going to be a fan of the glass packs. And that's all they are, hollow all the way through. The small tan disk at the bottom is the wood top of my workbench. Went ahead a dropped in the supplied baffles.
Hollow.jpg
Baffle.jpg
Bolt up next, with an issue...........
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

County98

Ultimate Exhaust

Post by County98 »

Headers clamped up fairly well, won't know about leaks until I get her fired up though. Little finicky, would be easier with an extra set of hands.

Centered tubes and slowly tightened all 3 retainers up in stages. 20ftlb, then 25, and left them all at 35ftlbs.

Come with castle nuts, no washers.
Clamped.jpg
Mufflers are self explanatory, 3 bolts on the flanges. Only strange thing to me was also a lack of washers here, and they are not self retaining nuts. I bolted them up to 35ftlb also, as is.

One thing I remember from headers as a kid, is that tighter isn't better on collector flanges. Just want them to seal without bending them too badly.

Okay, on to my issue. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious hopefully. Both sides, muffler tips are touching the body. Tight against the body. I was expecting 1/2" of clearance on this and I have none. Clark's instructions say you can reposition slightly, but I don't see how. Bolts in holes and tighten up.

Advice?
Mounted (1).jpg
Mounted (3).jpg
Mounted (2).jpg
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Watching this closely. My exhaust options are still up in the air. :tu:

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”